E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

520d SE Auto problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is new. It has only 2300 miles on the clock. I have started to encounter problems. I have drove it very conservatively and kept it well within the directions of the manual regarding the drive in period.

As of 2 days ago there is a whinning / whistling noise when I accelerate more than 2000rpm. This can be heard whether in the 'D' setting or at a standstill and in 'N'. I need to book it in with my dealership but I was wondering if anyone else has witnessed this?

Also I find the car to drive impecably. However between 0-20mph the car's acceleration is awful! At a giveway there are times when you need instant power to pull out quickly yet when I accelerate it seems to pause for thought before going for it. A bit like it's trying to move off in 2nd or 3rd gear before realising it should be in 1st. MayI stress at no point have I even tried the kick down as well. Compared to my business colleagues Audi A6 2.0 auto,which frankly has instant power, my car is way behind on the Audi up to 20-30mph but after that the BMW is world class!

The last gripe is the i-drive. How slow is it? When I reverse out of my driveway the sensors work but the PDC screen does not display.I then stop put it in 'D'and move off then the damn PDC screen comes on and stays on for about 300 yards in foreward motion.

Are these typical?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Blenn' post='401925' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:31 PM
My car is new. It has only 2300 miles on the clock. I have started to encounter problems. I have drove it very conservatively and kept it well within the directions of the manual regarding the drive in period.

As of 2 days ago there is a whinning / whistling noise when I accelerate more than 2000rpm. This can be heard whether in the 'D' setting or at a standstill and in 'N'. I need to book it in with my dealership but I was wondering if anyone else has witnessed this?

Also I find the car to drive impecably. However between 0-20mph the car's acceleration is awful! At a giveway there are times when you need instant power to pull out quickly yet when I accelerate it seems to pause for thought before going for it. A bit like it's trying to move off in 2nd or 3rd gear before realising it should be in 1st. MayI stress at no point have I even tried the kick down as well. Compared to my business colleagues Audi A6 2.0 auto,which frankly has instant power, my car is way behind on the audio up to 20-30mph but after that te BMW is world class!

The last gripe is the i-drive. How slow is it? When I reverse out of my driveway the sensors work but the PDC screen does not display.I then stop put it in 'D'and move off then the damn PDC screen comes on and stays on for about 300 yards in foreward motion.

Are these typical?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

1. Transmission slam symptoms. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37816
and elsewhere, try a searh.

2. PDC is designed to delay about 3 seconds after selecting reverse and to stayy on for a while when moving off in D, this is the ensure it sttays on for the whole of your manouvre, if it went off as soon as you seleted drive it would not help you with obstacles in front of the car. You will get used to it.

3, If you have a D model, the whistle may well be the turbo, I can hear mine with the window down, but not when it is up.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Welcome Blenn!

Thank god I'm a bachelor since a month, you sound like my ex

But seriously,

Could the "whinning / whistling noise when I accelerate more than 2000rpm" be the turbo?

"...between 0-20mph the car's acceleration is awful!" and "...you need instant power to pull out quickly"
True! Get the car tuned!

It's Monday, Paul

But is the 520dA too weak for the E60?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='401933' date='Mar 12 2007, 03:36 PM
1. Transmission slam symptoms. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37816
and elsewhere, try a searh.

2. PDC is designed to delay about 3 seconds after selecting reverse and to stayy on for a while when moving off in D, this is the ensure it sttays on for the whole of your manouvre, if it went off as soon as you seleted drive it would not help you with obstacles in front of the car. You will get used to it.

3, If you have a D model, the whistle may well be the turbo, I can hear mine with the window down, but not when it is up.

1) Sounds just like it!

2) The biggest problem I have with the PDC screen is that when selecting reverse the audible sensors are instantaneous but the PDC screen takes nearly 15 seconds before it comes on! By this time I have already reversed, selected 'D' and moved off. THe PDC then does not go off for nearly 300 yards.

3) The whistle has only just started to kick in. It was definately not there 250 miles ago. And it's audible even with the radio on. It was my girlfriend who first discovered it.

Many thanks guys.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='401943' date='Mar 12 2007, 03:51 PM
Could the "whinning / whistling noise when I accelerate more than 2000rpm" be the turbo?

"...between 0-20mph the car's acceleration is awful!" and "...you need instant power to pull out quickly"
True! Get the car tuned!

Tuned? Is this a dealer option? My car is 5 weeks old from only 3 miles on the clock to now only 2,300 miles.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Paul,

If you are looking to accelerate quicker off of the mark, then you may want to put your foot on the brake, then build up the revs to at least 2000rpm (i.e. in the power band) and then release the brake. The 2.0d is not going to do a great deal below 2000rpm, which is another reason why you may feel the initial acceleration to 20mph is poor.

There are enough members here (many with V8s!) who have posted about getting good acceleration with an auto gearbox. I believe "znod" is a bit of a guru in this field.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Almost forgot, welcome on board Paul !!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='401978' date='Mar 12 2007, 04:55 PM
Almost forgot, welcome on board Paul !!

Many thanks for the welcome xBMWx.

It would be a shame if what you say is true about getting it move quickly from a standing start. As mentioned my work colleague opted for the A6 2.0 auto. I drove it today and although not as refined or as smooth as my car it has instant power from the standing start with zero hesitation and that's even in standard 'D' mode.

I do find my a tad dangerous when you need to pull out and it hesitates they way it does.

Again - many thanks for the warm welcome.

Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Blenn' post='401925' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:31 PM
Also I find the car to drive impecably. However between 0-20mph the car's acceleration is awful! At a giveway there are times when you need instant power to pull out quickly yet when I accelerate it seems to pause for thought before going for it. A bit like it's trying to move off in 2nd or 3rd gear before realising it should be in 1st. MayI stress at no point have I even tried the kick down as well. Compared to my business colleagues Audi A6 2.0 auto,which frankly has instant power, my car is way behind on the Audi up to 20-30mph but after that the BMW is world class!
Have a look at this thread re poor acceleration (though mine is not an auto):

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37335

Hope to find out more tomorrow as the car is with my dealer now.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by s_henge' post='402007' date='Mar 12 2007, 06:02 PM
Have a look at this thread re poor acceleration (though mine is not an auto):

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37335

Hope to find out more tomorrow as the car is with my dealer now.

It has now been fixed! The car had sucked in a plastic bag and it was this that was causing the whistling noise.

A software update fixed the flat spot issue as well. The software is now at v24

However I am in the midst of an argument with service as the wish to charge me ?200+vat for removal of the plstic bag. They tell me the warranty does not cover this.

This I accept and understand but what I dont accept is that there is nothing to stop this happening every single day? Is there no guard or grill over the intake? Is my car part sponsored by Dyson?

The argument still goes on.Will keep you all informed in case you have similar problems.

Paul