E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d-163 hp

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by browellm' post='175944' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:11 PM
Malcolm, the 520d will be fine. They will sell a bucket full in the UK, I guarantee you.

Take the 320d out for a spin to test the engine. It will not be that much different in the five, slightly more leisurely.

Don't let the 6-pot snobs put you off. It's a lot more grown up than the old 2.0d engine.

Some may say that you should always have more cylinders than seats in your ride!

Seriously though, I drove a 320d and the performance was well on a par with my old e39 523 (170BHP). I also reckon the new 520d will be a big seller in the UK. Executive big car status with that economic engine and plenty of grunt will be a mega hit with the Company car drivers for sure.

Why didn't I buy one? Well that's easy - I probably would have if they'd been out two years ago and I could have picked up a used one for the same (or less) money than my current E60 (525 192 bhp).
Old 11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had a 320d as a rental car in Europe this past summer - man, the thing pulls from low rpms, incredible. Its definitely pulls better than my 545i from below 1500 rpm or so.

I am soooo looking forward to getting a 535d here in the US - I just hope BMW will start selling them after the new low S fuels will be available.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Members

I think you European members should realize a few things about some of us American consumers.

1. We really wish we could have diesels here...especially BMW diesels
2. We want more hybrids....German if possible
3. We want to lower our dependence on oil
4. We didn't all vote for Bush
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by MARCUS545' post='193680' date='Nov 4 2005, 09:41 PM
I think you European members should realize a few things about some of us American consumers.

1. We really wish we could have diesels here...especially BMW diesels
2. We want more hybrids....German if possible
3. We want to lower our dependence on oil
4. We didn't all vote for Bush
yes, yes, yes, and yes
Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

If tax on a company car wasn't based on the CO2 output, I'd still be driving a petrol engined car.

If petrol was half the price it is now, I'd never buy anything but a V8 petrol engine.

But, I don't regret getting a BMW diesel. Not one bit. And that's compared with a previous car being a V8.

The hybrids do sound exciting though. Even Porsche are getting into it. And considering that they done do anything with a diesel engine, not even the cayenne, it's a big jump for them.

At least you get the chance to vote, for or against Bush. WE DON'T And still have to put up with the consequences.

Maybe we laugh more at the humour that gets emailed about. Some very funny stuff recently. Very non-PC stuff, but still very funny
Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

It may have been a bit of a gamble when i ordered my e61 520d m sport as i had no idea how the car would actually perform but using the current 320d as a referance and comparing weights of the 3 and 5 , which is actually very similar, i was convinsed the 520d 163hp would be just fine. and i'm pleased to say that my first 6 weeks of ownership have proved to me that i made a good choice. I do not feel that short changed from my previous 530i e39 sport in fact themid range is in some circumstances better and the performance is much easier to extract. oh and did i mention i get 45mpg overall and no much of this is on the motorway either.
Maybe one day petrol heads will give as much respect to the torque figures as they do to the headling hp figures, they need to as 520d car is much much faster in everyday drive mode than say a 520i, 523i and on par with a 525i all of which have higher hp figures but lower torque figures.
The engine noise is noticable at start up but in seconds there is no diesel clatter whatsoever. I have driven the 525d and 530d it is equally quiet. The 6 cylinder diesels do give a smoother "feeling" but i found them to give to heavy a feel for the manual gearbox option that i wanted. The 520d feels light by comparison and therefore never gives the feel that your driving a big car. Of course you could choose auto but this saps power and hurts mpg returns
Overall 9/10
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by wales34part' post='194537' date='Nov 7 2005, 07:06 PM
It may have been a bit of a gamble when i ordered my e61 520d m sport as i had no idea how the car would actually perform but using the current 320d as a referance and comparing weights of the 3 and 5 , which is actually very similar, i was convinsed the 520d 163hp would be just fine. and i'm pleased to say that my first 6 weeks of ownership have proved to me that i made a good choice. I do not feel that short changed from my previous 530i e39 sport in fact themid range is in some circumstances better and the performance is much easier to extract. oh and did i mention i get 45mpg overall and no much of this is on the motorway either.
Maybe one day petrol heads will give as much respect to the torque figures as they do to the headling hp figures, they need to as 520d car is much much faster in everyday drive mode than say a 520i, 523i and on par with a 525i all of which have higher hp figures but lower torque figures.
The engine noise is noticable at start up but in seconds there is no diesel clatter whatsoever. I have driven the 525d and 530d it is equally quiet. The 6 cylinder diesels do give a smoother "feeling" but i found them to give to heavy a feel for the manual gearbox option that i wanted. The 520d feels light by comparison and therefore never gives the feel that your driving a big car. Of course you could choose auto but this saps power and hurts mpg returns
Overall 9/10
We never doubted the ability of diesel, yes it have good torque and that's perfect for city driving which most of the drive in HK is like. Plus diesel is cheaper than gas. But too bad the government banned diesel for passenger car otherwise we would have an alternative.