E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5-series Straight-line Performance Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006 | 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='247877' date='Mar 1 2006, 12:56 PM
Whoa g-man! How can you do manual shifting? I though that your car is like mine--can't do serious manual shifting with the pedal to the floor. My Step won't let me shift manually at any reasonable straight-line performance related RPM. ????? Oh, and, did you see my quandry mentioned in my optimal-shift point post above?
Sorry to confuse you Zman.My car shifts like yours(whenever it feels like it)in the manual mode.It's just that when testing I started in M1 and push the shifter at about 6200 rpm,but the trans only shifts when it's ready.
Old 03-01-2006 | 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='247915' date='Mar 1 2006, 01:43 PM
I am still of the opinion that 6700 rpm's are not necessary for optimum performance in the 545.But I am open
minded and it is worth some test time to either prove or disprove.If you can't show measurable difference
think you are just putting unecessary strain on engine & valveline components.
Hi g-man:

I extended the optimum shift-point analysis (attached) to consider the possibility that my Step is shifting at
either 6.7k RPM or 6.6k RPM. The analysis suggests that shifting at 6.7k would be best and that shifting at 6.6k
would be next best. So, overall, my analyses suggest that the higher the Step shifts the better--at least up to
6.7k. That's good from my perspective since I have no real choice but to let the Step shift at its max. Perhaps
you have a choice. If so, then I'll be very interested in what you conclude after experimenting with judicious
manual shifting. The numbers I used in my analyses are not exact, but I am very confident that more precise
values would not change my conclusions.

Earlier, when my car allowed to let me shift judiciously manually, my g-meter showed that I could not do better
than letting the Step shift automatically. But, also, those results came in before my car got so fast. So, maybe
things will be different for you.
Attached Thumbnails 5-series Straight-line Performance Discussion-opshift2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006 | 06:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='248033' date='Mar 1 2006, 04:33 PM
Right, but the problem is that the drop is inconsistent with the drop in the other gears assuming a 6.7k shift point.
Maybe I'll see if I can make a movie or take a photo about the time my "analog" gets to 6.7k.

I think you misunderstood. I acutally think that 6.7k may be suboptimal. But, regardless, one of my points is that I have no choice about shift points since I can't shift when I want manually--i.e., I am at the mercy of the Step when it comes to shifting. Please see the question I raised above about your car's manual-shifting ability.

At any rate, I am wondering if my car really is shifting at 6.7K. If so, then this fact would tend to reconcile all my data, except for the RPM drop after the 1-2 shift. If I have time, then I will go back and extend the torque-drop analyis to 6.7k to cover the possibility that my car really is shiting at 6.7k.
Your right Znod I did misunderstand your 6700 rpm shift point.I thought you considered this a good thing.Does it shift any sooner in D?

I have no better answer for the large discrepancy in rpm drop from 1 to 2,but I do think it is a phenomenon common to all 545 steps.
Old 03-01-2006 | 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='248234' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:04 PM
Your right Znod I did misunderstand your 6700 rpm shift point.I thought you considered this a good thing.Does it shift any sooner in D?
I'll check out your question about D for sure, but I think it shifts at the same point. And, we were posting at the same time. Check out the post right before your last one. Did you see the latest on the g-meter testing thread?
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='248231' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:57 PM
Sorry to confuse you Zman.My car shifts like yours(whenever it feels like it)in the manual mode.It's just that when testing I started in M1 and push the shifter at about 6200 rpm,but the trans only shifts when it's ready.
I see. Got is. I thought that was what you said before, but then I got confused.

I checked on two shifting issues today. First, my car shows shifting at the same RPM whether in D or DS. Second, I confirmed, using the hidden digital tach, that my car is shifting between 6.4k and 6.5k--which is what the Pro RR says. So, I'll added another layer of trust to what the Pro RR shows. And, all still is well because such shifting looks optimal to me given that we can't shift higher. However, I am yet to reconcile even most of the shifting data mentioned before since my car is not shifting at 6.7k.

I updated my adjusted bests for todays passes in post #1. More on the g-meter testing thread soon.
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='248232' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:01 PM
Hi g-man:

I extended the optimum shift-point analysis (attached) to consider the possibility that my Step is shifting at
either 6.7k RPM or 6.6k RPM. The analysis suggests that shifting at 6.7k would be best and that shifting at 6.6k
would be next best. So, overall, my analyses suggest that the higher the Step shifts the better--at least up to
6.7k. That's good from my perspective since I have no real choice but to let the Step shift at its max. Perhaps
you have a choice. If so, then I'll be very interested in what you conclude after experimenting with judicious
manual shifting. The numbers I used in my analyses are not exact, but I am very confident that more precise
values would not change my conclusions.

Earlier, when my car allowed to let me shift judiciously manually, my g-meter showed that I could not do better
than letting the Step shift automatically. But, also, those results came in before my car got so fast. So, maybe
things will be different for you.
I know; it looks like I am replying to myself. However, I think that allowing this appearance often is the best way to communicate new information. In any case, I have improvised a shift-point analysis based on actual data provided by the Pro RR. I think that the analysis is superior to the ones posted on this thread. In this regard, I have determined that my Step definitely shifts at about redline (e.g., about 6,450 RPM from first to second). The new analysis, on this thread at post #293, suggests that optimal Step shifting would occur at less than "redline." For example, shifting 50 RPM below "redline" appears to be superior. The implication is that a good shift program, which allows "real" manual shifting with a Step, might yield superior results. The analysis also suggests that shifting at redline may not be optimal for manuals and SMG's.
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='250397' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:22 PM
I know; it looks like I am replying to myself. However, I think that allowing this appearance often is the best way to communicate new information.
Yea, I prefer this method over editing posts as one might miss updated info. It's always a work in process and sure to have new thoughts or insights into data interpretation. I was about to make comment in the "closed" thread that these threads have pretty clear titles and those not interested can certainly stay OUT

My meter is due on the 8th. I need to get out right away and test as my car goes in on the 10th sure to get 20.01 or higher. I am not going to have much time to perfect launch technique even with all your guys' help and get a good before baseline. Fortunately wx is supposed to be clear but warm for the next 5 days.
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

What! You bought a meter dave?
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='250435' date='Mar 5 2006, 10:30 PM
Yea, I prefer this method over editing posts as one might miss updated info. It's always a work in process and sure to have new thoughts or insights into data interpretation. I was about to make comment in the "closed" thread that these threads have pretty clear titles and those not interested can certainly stay OUT

My meter is due on the 8th. I need to get out right away and test as my car goes in on the 10th sure to get 20.01 or higher. I am not going to have much time to perfect launch technique even with all your guys' help and get a good before baseline. Fortunately wx is supposed to be clear but warm for the next 5 days.
Hi cd:

Good deal. If you are going to do a full 1/4, then be sure and collect, as near to the time and place of your tests as you can, your temp in F, dewpoint in F, barometric pressure in mercury, and altitude. Airports, including small locals, tend to provide at least hourly online updates on these things. So, chose the airport closest to your test site and find its weather reporting page. Also, for altitude and temp, you can use your car's meters if you can't do better. Without making at least weather adjustments, you comparisons could be very misleading. I am just not gaining a full appreciation of how things can reverse because of seemingly small weather differences.
Old 03-06-2006 | 05:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='250435' date='Mar 5 2006, 10:30 PM

Hi cd:

There is a way to handle weather/altitude data other than doing full quarters. If you will send me the weather/altitude data I mention after each test, then I would calculate your density altitude values. Then, you would at least know if your performance should have been better or worse from test to test.

Quick Reply: 5-series Straight-line Performance Discussion