E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So about 6 months ago I get a "service engine soon" light and I bring the car in to my dealer and they say the fault is due to a exhaust manifold sensor. 3 weeks after that I get another service engine light and its the same fault so they replace both exhaust sensors. Then 3 weeks ago I get another "service engine" light and its now a bad thermostat. so they replace that. This week I get a 4th "service engine" light and the car is in BMW service now. They said it shows another bad thermostat. BMW NA told them to replace the engine harness. I guess this is the huge wire bundle under the hood. They think that a short somewhere in this bundle is causing the continual faults. My advisor has mentioned that he has ordered ne engine harnesses for a series of BMWs for this issue. Guess im not the only one.

My dealer has been pretty good about working on this and providing loaners but I have to say Im getting tired of bringing the car in for this all the time.

Anyone else have a series of "service engine" lights. I was thinking of taking out the bulb that would fix the problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Contributors

I got my car back last night. New engine wiring harness installed, of which the part cost $1,000 alone and several hours of labor. Thank god its all under warranty! No service engine soon light yet. But then it usually took a week or two to appear.

Nobody else having these issues?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Sorry to hear about all your issues. As far as I know, this is NOT a common or well described issue. Did you have any water leakage into your engine compartment by any chance? Have you been power washing that sucka? Shorts could occur with that but again, it's not common. Hope the new harness works out ok...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='949106' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear about all your issues. As far as I know, this is NOT a common or well described issue. Did you have any water leakage into your engine compartment by any chance? Have you been power washing that sucka? Shorts could occur with that but again, it's not common. Hope the new harness works out ok...

Nope, no high pressure washing. My dealer did say they have installed engine harnesses on other bmws not only e 60s.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: M5

Curious question - have you altered the intake system?

If you have, it's my understanding that some can actually cause overheating. Your gauges can only measure to a certain degree and you won't know how hot it actually is, and your engine lights will turn on. The RPI intake system focuses on cooling the engine rather than sounding good.

What is more important to you - sounding cool or improved functionality?

Hope all is well.

Originally Posted by Veight' post='944049' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:47 PM
So about 6 months ago I get a "service engine soon" light and I bring the car in to my dealer and they say the fault is due to a exhaust manifold sensor. 3 weeks after that I get another service engine light and its the same fault so they replace both exhaust sensors. Then 3 weeks ago I get another "service engine" light and its now a bad thermostat. so they replace that. This week I get a 4th "service engine" light and the car is in BMW service now. They said it shows another bad thermostat. BMW NA told them to replace the engine harness. I guess this is the huge wire bundle under the hood. They think that a short somewhere in this bundle is causing the continual faults. My advisor has mentioned that he has ordered ne engine harnesses for a series of BMWs for this issue. Guess im not the only one.

My dealer has been pretty good about working on this and providing loaners but I have to say Im getting tired of bringing the car in for this all the time.

Anyone else have a series of "service engine" lights. I was thinking of taking out the bulb that would fix the problem.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Michelle@RPI' post='949426' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:15 PM
Curious question - have you altered the intake system?

If you have, it's my understanding that some can actually cause overheating. Your gauges can only measure to a certain degree and you won't know how hot it actually is, and your engine lights will turn on. The RPI intake system focuses on cooling the engine rather than sounding good.

What is more important to you - sounding cool or improved functionality?

Hope all is well.

Uh... no changes to intake system. Sounding cool? Not sure what you are referring to except I have service engine soon light coming on. No overheating light. I havent modified anything on my car except what is listed in my signature.

The exhaust manifold sensors are stock parts on the 550. The initial two check engine lights pointed to these sensors BMW replaced them. All is stock, if i modified that stuff, BMW wouldnt touch my car under warranty.

All these repairs have cost them $3,000 to $4000.

I like how my car sounds out of the dealership, thank you.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Not sure if it's the same but have the dealer check and/or replace the fuel tank vent p/n 13-90-7-537-113 to see if its any better.

GL!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='950220' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:42 AM
Not sure if it's the same but have the dealer check and/or replace the fuel tank vent p/n 13-90-7-537-113 to see if its any better.

GL!

I think they would have done that if any of the faults pointed to the fuel tank area. I think what made them do the engine harness as a last resort, is because the 4th fault was another thermostat which was the same as the third fault which occured two weeks prior. And the thermostat was functioning fine.

Im wondering what happens if i get another check engine light. Replace the car?