E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

21-30 yr olds don't like to drive, apparently

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaoChe
I fall into that age bracket and I have to say, living on campus as a full time student I honestly don't drive very much at all. Sometimes I drive my car just to make sure there's room in the tank to add fresh gas, make sure my tires stay round and dont rot from sitting in one position too long, and to give the battery a charge. I probably drive only about 3,000 miles per year. Not because of any of the reason cited in this article however. I have everything I need on campus; food, laundry, gym, ...more food. Besides there's no where to go around here except a winding country road on the weekends and home for holidays twice a year. Dumb yahoo articles...
like i said, i'm 27, i haven't been in college in years (haha, only 5 but it seems a lot longer). i never ever drove in college, so i get that, but i bet that's common no matter what era it is. i think that article is implying something bigger though, that the new generation doesn't need cars or want them. people have always gone to college and not had cars, so that isn't the change. the change implied is people's mindsets. i don't know many people that don't drive. i guess if i lived in NYC it would be different; then again, no one really drives in NYC no matter the era as well.

i'm kinda thinking maybe they meant 0-20 year olds, but 25-30 years old? man we were getting out licenses when gas was 99 cents (at least i was) and global warming was an idea created by the same man who invented the internet that didn't really invent the internet. i just don't think i know anyone in that age bracket that has yet to be sold on the hybrid shit, that's all i'm saying...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I'm 23 and I'd sink into a deep depression if I weren't able to drive. I LOVE it. Probably more due to my car though

There was only one friend of mine who didn't get her license when we turned 16........ and she was our valedictorian....... and graduated with a double major and a 4.0 from UC Berkeley..... and is in law school...............

On second thought maybe I should give up driving and spend more time studying for the GMAT.

Haha, with that said I assume it depends more on where you live. I think any more people live in big cities these days and with the exception of LA, I think most of these cities are prim public transit cities. I grew up in Stockton, in the central valley of California, and I can assure you everyone there drives. But I now live 10 minutes from San Francisco and I imagine there are many people who grew up there that didn't bother to get a license.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

most large cities have mass transit, but few cities have residents that actually use it. no one but homeless people ride the DART in dallas, for the most part. chicago, san francisco, and new york and MAYBE atlanta are about the only large cities that actually use mass transit. still, even in those cities there is large amount of cars, too. if i lived in downtown manhattan i wouldn't have a car either, but again that's always been the case with new yorkers, so i don't see how that's relevant to the article's cause.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I said I "think" as in that might be one cause, not that it's the reason less people are driving.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Cars have gotten too expensive for younger people to own and insure - especially in big cities. I bought my Camaro brand new back in '92 for about 15k - try getting a new V8 powered sports car for less than 30k today.

Cars are also too complicated to work on. When I was younger all guys talked about was swapping out cylinder heads, cams, intakes, and exhausts. Now its all about electronic tuning - which sometimes costs just as much as swapping out engine parts.