E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, so we know that BMW engineers in Munich read this board and we know that the upcoming sport automatic transmission is the closet thing to SMG on the non-M cars that we can expect in the near future. Since the transmission won't make it into cars until June production, I figure it might be helpful to list some features that would be great to have available, if they're not already planned for production. Some of these features are things we've talked about for years and some I just thought of -- either way, they're all based on software so I don't think it's too much to ask for most if not all of these features to make it to production sooner rather than later:
  • Throttle blipping (rev matching) on downshifts is mandatory! (Yes, I think this feature is already planned but it's so important, I'm listing it anyway.)
  • Allow a way to choose betwen normal and sport modes as the "default mode" so that, for example, each time I start the car, it's in sport mode if I set it as default. This setting should survive a deep sleep, etc. Make it a setting that's selected in iDrive and stored in the key memory so that different drivers can use different defaults.
  • Currently selected gear should be displayed in the HUD! Need I say more? (Tachometer would be nice too but not as important, in my opinion.)
  • Do not allow the car to upshift automatically at red-line (like the steptronic does in manual mode.) Make it like the SMG where you hit the rev limiter if you don't upshift at red line. Manual mode is exactly that -- manual. I understand the need to downshift automatically to prevent the car from stalling, etc. but please, please, please let us upshift when we want!
  • Don't allow the car to downshift automatically when accelerating (no kickdown.) Again, it's in manual mode so let us do the driving! (see no upshift automatically note above)
  • Have a setting (iDrive maybe?) that tells the transmission to start off in second gear (while in sport mode) until told otherwise. (Right now, the SMG can start in second but if you do so and then come to a stop, the car defaults back to first.) It would be good to have a "winter mode" to force it to start in second always -- this helps out tremendously in snowy weather, etc.
  • Have another setting (iDrive again) that programs the shift paddle behavior. It's no secret that I prefer the paddle arrangement that the current E60 (non-M) SMG uses where each paddle can perform an up or downshift using either your fingers or thumbs respectively. It's clear that many people prefer the way that the M-cars are setup where the right paddle upshifts and the left paddle downshifts. Why not allow us to choose the setup we want? How difficult could that be? Again, store the setting in the key to make things that much cooler.
  • Finally (at least for now,) there's no need to heat the paddles anymore (do a search ) since you've coated them with leather (or whatever substance they're coated with) now. That should take care of that one...thanks for listening to that one BMW!
Anyone else have a few suggestions I didn't think of? Now's your chance to see if we can help shape the design of our new toys! (Yes, I realize that it might be too late to get some or all of these suggestions into the June production schedule but hey, you never know and it doesn't hurt to try, right?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! I would personally like the paddles to be set up like the M5. Left is for downshifting and Right is for Upshifting. Also illuminate the "-" and "+" on the steering wheel!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='402090' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:59 AM
(Yes, I realize that it might be too late to get some or all of these suggestions into the June production schedule but hey, you never know and it doesn't hurt to try, right?
You may get SOME of these into the F10 development cycle!!

ABC
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='402090' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:59 AM
[*] Have a setting (iDrive maybe?) that tells the transmission to start off in second gear (while in sport mode) until told otherwise. (Right now, the SMG can start in second but if you do so and then come to a stop, the car defaults back to first.) It would be good to have a "winter mode" to force it to start in second always -- this helps out tremendously in snowy weather, etc.
On my auto if I am in manual (not sport) then it never shifts down to 1st gear unless i manually do it, so it's kind of a work around if you are in snowy weather, still would be nice to have more choice, that's supposed to be the whole point of idrive.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Contributors

I've been told that the sports auto is the same transmission currently in the e92. If this is true, then you guys should test drive that car to see how you like it.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='402090' date='Mar 12 2007, 07:59 PM
[*] Do not allow the car to upshift automatically at red-line (like the steptronic does in manual mode.) Make it like the SMG where you hit the rev limiter if you don't upshift at red line. Manual mode is exactly that -- manual. I understand the need to downshift automatically to prevent the car from stalling, etc. but please, please, please let us upshift when we want![*] Don't allow the car to downshift automatically when accelerating (no kickdown.) Again, it's in manual mode so let us do the driving! (see no upshift automatically note above)
Wishful thinking doesn't hurt, but other than SMG or a traditional manual, I don't think there's any way around these two. Even DSG upshifts at redline and kickdowns for you.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='402177' date='Mar 13 2007, 10:05 AM
I've been told that the sports auto is the same transmission currently in the e92. If this is true, then you guys should test drive that car to see how you like it.
It's the same transmission - it's just a software difference between the two...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='402178' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:09 AM
Wishful thinking doesn't hurt, but other than SMG or a traditional manual, I don't think there's any way around these two. Even DSG upshifts at redline and kickdowns for you.
But why is it necessary? Why do you think there's no way around these two items? They can program the thing to do whatever they want, right? (They could've programmed SMG to upshift at redline but thankfully they didn't...)
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

How about a launch assist that brings revs up for a burnout. How about a differential lock and louder exhaust with all sport packages (I know the new 550 has louder exhaust).
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

You forgot to include: Eliminate the Slam.

Do you know if this transmission is made by ZF or GM or ???

Quick Reply: 2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List