E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wish list is a virtual idrive settings program, instead of having shortcut keys and other handicap features to compensate anti-idrive people. Which really defeating the beautiful idea of idrive. Make a PC/Mac software that driver can simulate and setup, program all the settings per key/per driver on their computer (include garage openner). Burn a CD and insert into the CD/DVD slot, load all the settings in a blink. This simulation can train the new driver and save time to deal with somewhat slow idrive interface.

Stick with the principle, simple yet high tech. It is BMW, a driver's machine, not any wealthy but dumb MB or lexus...

sorry I fart too much... but I mean it.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='403040' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:47 AM
ABC
Very interesting....this seems to refer to the six speed automatic. No mention of the "sport" automatic transmission.
Are they the same transmission? I thought the transmission in tthe 335i will be the same unit in the 535i . And the 550i and 535i with sport package will have a DIFFERENT transmission. ??? Is this not correct?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

As I understand it, the new automatic transmission is the same in 3-series, 5-series and X5-series. Unsure about the 1-series. What the discussion is now about is whether the sport auto is "just a software" thing or actually means physical changes to the transmission. I thought it was just software, but evidently there's more to it?

Eagerly awaiting more info on this. And I'll try to get more out of my dealer too, as I'm waiting for a car with a sport auto transmission!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='403067' date='Mar 15 2007, 03:50 PM
I thought it was just software, but evidently there's more to it?
If you think BMW are giving away much more than software and paddles for ?70 then think again.

The SAT is only ?70 in UK.

ABC
Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Wish List for me:
- M style steering wheel wrapped in anthracite cloth (I hate my plastic feeling leather wrap)
- Throttle blipping is good
- Option to skip gears up or down
- Make the console shifter more like the Ferarri's (just a little razor style..who needs it when you have paddles + this will leave more room for good cup holders)
- Faster ratio steering (like a 3 series has)
- Launch control shortcut button although I guess if its got a torqe converter LC will be obsolete
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='403040' date='Mar 15 2007, 10:47 AM
ABC

Hey this is the new Automatic transmission and NOT the sport auto. if you look at my links you will clearly see that this is the current model auto as I indicated. There is no mention of the Sport auto in the material you presented.
This is the current regular auto in the 335 and will be in the E60
http://www.zf-mediacenter.de/sea_view_v2.p...bB=4&lang=e

There is more than a software difference as there is no published weights of the car with the sport Auto in the newly released brochure.

In the US it is more money and in the UK auto is not standard as it is in the US. It is not Just paddles and software. BMW is losing the transmission battle thus far, Audi and even MB are using more sporty ones and SMG was an utter disaster in non- //M applications.

Also they are not using the term SPORT AUTO in the current 335 and they would have a huge market for it with that model so it more than likely will be introduced in that car in the 2008 MY or beginning in 9/07 production also leading to the conclusion it is a different transmission and NOT marketing hype.

I received information on the sport auto last year and it was from BMW indicating that it was a dual clutch setup, it was not called sport auto or did it state what model it was for but it is very similar to the information on the ZF website and was not a Borg Warner product.

I would be surprised if it was just paddles and software.... if it is BMW should be ashamed and has a lot of explaining to do. At this point who knows. I hope my information is correct but if not they must be saving it for another car... the //M3.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 330 Convertible

FWIW, someone posted the following in another E60 forum:

"I was at the geneva auto show today. A bmw rep confirmed this show is the world premier of the 2008 5 series, including the new sport auto. They two 5 series with the new non-sport trans (no paddle shifters). One car was a 530i that did have paddle shifters. The rep confirmed this car had the new sport trans, and was dual clutch design. He said it does have better performance (shift speed & acceleration) and fuel efficiency (better then manual). He said there have been good recent reviews in Europe, but that surprises me as its not available yet in the 5 series. So not sure how much to believe, but sounds promising. By the way, the trans was about a $2500 option on this car (don't remember exactly; to the nearest 100 though; converted for currency and removed built-in swiss taxes). But keep in mind that all the 5's have manual trans standard, and the normal auto is extra too - and appears to be about the same price (+/- a couple hundred because don't remember exact sport trans price). I know the rep sounded excited and was almost surprised that I didn't know this was the world into for the updated 5 with sport trans. Can't wait to learn more. Maybe someone can google road tests with the new ZF DCT..."
Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by bimmerguy288' post='403326' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:41 PM
FWIW, someone posted the following in another E60 forum:

"I was at the geneva auto show today. A bmw rep confirmed this show is the world premier of the 2008 5 series, including the new sport auto. They two 5 series with the new non-sport trans (no paddle shifters). One car was a 530i that did have paddle shifters. The rep confirmed this car had the new sport trans, and was dual clutch design. He said it does have better performance (shift speed & acceleration) and fuel efficiency (better then manual). He said there have been good recent reviews in Europe, but that surprises me as its not available yet in the 5 series. So not sure how much to believe, but sounds promising. By the way, the trans was about a $2500 option on this car (don't remember exactly; to the nearest 100 though; converted for currency and removed built-in swiss taxes). But keep in mind that all the 5's have manual trans standard, and the normal auto is extra too - and appears to be about the same price (+/- a couple hundred because don't remember exact sport trans price). I know the rep sounded excited and was almost surprised that I didn't know this was the world into for the updated 5 with sport trans. Can't wait to learn more. Maybe someone can google road tests with the new ZF DCT..."
Interesting stuff, if accurate. The pricing does not seem correct though. The Sport Automatic is shown as a $500 MSRP option in the States.

It's surprising that BMW hasn't released any detailed information on the new transmission yet.

Lou
Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

To add to the confusion:
I have read and been told that the sport auto in the 5 -series is just a quicker auto-transmission. At the same time BMW is working hard to get a worthy oponent to VW/audi's DSG-gearbox out in the market. THAT transmission will have a double clutch set-up.

Some reviews have called the new auto transmission for "sport auto", so maybe that's what the sales rep was referring to? What 2TB gives you is two paddles on the wheel and a button in front of the lever, which makes it faster but still isn't a "DSG". But I'm happy to be wrong on this one, especially as I have ordered a car with the 2TB option...

Please note: not all 5:er have manual as standard; the 535d is auto only, not matter which country you buy it in.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='402090' date='Mar 12 2007, 07:59 PM
Okay, so we know that BMW engineers in Munich read this board and we know that the upcoming sport automatic transmission is the closet thing to SMG on the non-M cars that we can expect in the near future. Since the transmission won't make it into cars until June production, I figure it might be helpful to list some features that would be great to have available, if they're not already planned for production. Some of these features are things we've talked about for years and some I just thought of -- either way, they're all based on software so I don't think it's too much to ask for most if not all of these features to make it to production sooner rather than later:
  • Throttle blipping (rev matching) on downshifts is mandatory! (Yes, I think this feature is already planned but it's so important, I'm listing it anyway.)
  • Allow a way to choose betwen normal and sport modes as the "default mode" so that, for example, each time I start the car, it's in sport mode if I set it as default. This setting should survive a deep sleep, etc. Make it a setting that's selected in iDrive and stored in the key memory so that different drivers can use different defaults.
  • Currently selected gear should be displayed in the HUD! Need I say more? (Tachometer would be nice too but not as important, in my opinion.)
  • Do not allow the car to upshift automatically at red-line (like the steptronic does in manual mode.) Make it like the SMG where you hit the rev limiter if you don't upshift at red line. Manual mode is exactly that -- manual. I understand the need to downshift automatically to prevent the car from stalling, etc. but please, please, please let us upshift when we want!
  • Don't allow the car to downshift automatically when accelerating (no kickdown.) Again, it's in manual mode so let us do the driving! (see no upshift automatically note above)
  • Have a setting (iDrive maybe?) that tells the transmission to start off in second gear (while in sport mode) until told otherwise. (Right now, the SMG can start in second but if you do so and then come to a stop, the car defaults back to first.) It would be good to have a "winter mode" to force it to start in second always -- this helps out tremendously in snowy weather, etc.
  • Have another setting (iDrive again) that programs the shift paddle behavior. It's no secret that I prefer the paddle arrangement that the current E60 (non-M) SMG uses where each paddle can perform an up or downshift using either your fingers or thumbs respectively. It's clear that many people prefer the way that the M-cars are setup where the right paddle upshifts and the left paddle downshifts. Why not allow us to choose the setup we want? How difficult could that be? Again, store the setting in the key to make things that much cooler.
  • Finally (at least for now,) there's no need to heat the paddles anymore (do a search ) since you've coated them with leather (or whatever substance they're coated with) now. That should take care of that one...thanks for listening to that one BMW!
Anyone else have a few suggestions I didn't think of? Now's your chance to see if we can help shape the design of our new toys! (Yes, I realize that it might be too late to get some or all of these suggestions into the June production schedule but hey, you never know and it doesn't hurt to try, right?
Ditto!
Thats exactlly how I would like the "sports auto" to work.

Love my SMG.

Quick Reply: 2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List