E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all sounds like a great wishlist to me except for the 'soft' paddles... I think that would cause some confusion unless you could get the actual paddle 'labels' change according to the iDrive setting of "+ right and - left" or "+ fingers and - thumbs". Once that's done, it would be perfection.

ermmm... Did anybody understand what I'm saying?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by twotrey' post='402373' date='Mar 13 2007, 04:11 PM
It all sounds like a great wishlist to me except for the 'soft' paddles... I think that would cause some confusion unless you could get the actual paddle 'labels' change according to the iDrive setting of "+ right and - left" or "+ fingers and - thumbs". Once that's done, it would be perfection.

Yes, You want LCD displays on the paddles that change with the mode changes.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by twotrey' post='402373' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:11 PM

I understand what your saying. Sure, it might be a bit confusing -- they could put a more generic label on the paddles to help distinguish them. Instead of a + or - marking on the paddles, maybe they could have a different colored tip on one of them (or one color on one paddle and another color on the other) so that people with the plus/minus setup can quickly figure out which one will upshift if the steering wheel is turned well off center. (This is precisely why I think the push/pull setup is way more logical in the long run...you always know what's going to happen, no matter what paddle is touched.)
Old 03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='402404' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:06 PM
I understand what your saying. Sure, it might be a bit confusing -- they could put a more generic label on the paddles to help distinguish them. Instead of a + or - marking on the paddles, maybe they could have a different colored tip on one of them (or one color on one paddle and another color on the other) so that people with the plus/minus setup can quickly figure out which one will upshift if the steering wheel is turned well off center. (This is precisely why I think the push/pull setup is way more logical in the long run...you always know what's going to happen, no matter what paddle is touched.)
Rudy, Now lets see your real photo in your Avatar.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

I absolutely agree with the wish that D and DS would display the actual gear that is engaged - it can't be that hard to do.

I would like a neater way to switch back from M to DS mode (currently you have to swing the lever over to D and back to DS) - perhaps a button on the steering wheel?

And it would be useful to have some indication of the countdown from "paddle manual override" mode back to D mode.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='402182' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:34 AM
It's the same transmission - it's just a software difference between the two...
From what I have been told it is NOT the same transmission thus the reason there is no published weight figures in any of the publications yet. It is a dual (maybe wet) clutch setup created by Sachs/ZF. It is similar in nature to the Audi "S-tronic" VW DSG which is a product of Borg Warner.

http://www.sachs.de/direkt.php?link=owx_7_...0000000000.html

Possible for the M3
http://www.zf-mediacenter.de/sea_view_v2.p...bB=4&lang=e

Current 335
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='402427' date='Mar 13 2007, 06:58 PM
I absolutely agree with the wish that D and DS would display the actual gear that is engaged - it can't be that hard to do.

I would like a neater way to switch back from M to DS mode (currently you have to swing the lever over to D and back to DS) - perhaps a button on the steering wheel?

And it would be useful to have some indication of the countdown from "paddle manual override" mode back to D mode.
Audi currently displays the gear the car is in in all modes of the transmission.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mapezzul' post='402447' date='Mar 13 2007, 08:30 PM
From what I have been told it is NOT the same transmission thus the reason there is no published weight figures in any of the publications yet. It is a dual (maybe wet) clutch setup created by Sachs/ZF. It is similar in nature to the Audi "S-tronic" VW DSG which is a product of Borg Warner.

http://www.sachs.de/direkt.php?link=owx_7_...0000000000.html

Possible for the M3

Current 335
BMW lit for US MY 2008 specifically states that the sports auto is a six-gear TORQUE CONVERTER transmission. It is not a dual-clutch manual like the ZF 7 DCT. It is ostensibly the same tranny as in the 335.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by willwedge' post='402995' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:49 AM
BMW lit for US MY 2008 specifically states that the sports auto is a six-gear TORQUE CONVERTER transmission. It is not a dual-clutch manual like the ZF 7 DCT. It is ostensibly the same tranny as in the 335.
Where have you seen this? I am curious because that means something changed. Long story short is I received some information a while back that was not supposed to be released and it clearly stated it was a different transmission NOT the same as in the 335 etc.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by willwedge' post='402995' date='Mar 15 2007, 11:49 AM
BMW lit for US MY 2008 specifically states that the sports auto is a six-gear TORQUE CONVERTER transmission.
A revised automatic transmission is another of the tools employed by the BMW engineers to enhance efficiency and dynamics. An improved link-up between the engine and transmission shortens shift times by up to 50 per cent. At the same time, it also helps to cut fuel consumption by up to three per cent in petrol vehicles and as much as six per cent in diesels. This success is underpinned by improvements made to the torque converter. The converter replaces the clutch in cars with automatic transmission and connects the engine with the transmission. In the new BMW six-speed automatic transmission, an automatic CLUTCH bridges over the converter, if required, and links the engine DIRECTLY with the transmission. This means the converter is used almost exclusively for moving off. This helps to ensure unprecedented driving dynamics in vehicles with an automatic transmission, whil at the saem time keeping fuel consumption low.

BMW (UK) Magazine, Winter 2006, Page 31
ABC

Quick Reply: 2008 Sport Automatic Transmission Wish List