E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 530i Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Hi guys as you know i recently joined the forum, been a volvo guys my entire life. does anyone know how to check the coolant level on 2006 530i. I was sitting at a red light and there was a car in front of me. I noticed some white smoke by my hood, not sure if it was coming from the car's exhaust tht was in front of me or my car. I pulled over checked the engine oil level, but didnt know how to check to see if coolant is at a proper level.

Plus is there any way to tell when the car is running at an optimal level. On cars that i have had they had oil temp gauge, but this is the first car i cant seem to find the temp gauge.

thank you for helping the new kid on the block
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Was it raining? If it was the rain hits the hot pipes behind the grill when you are sitting in traffic and evaporates. No probs there.
To check coolant just un-screw the black cap on the resevoir (to the left when you open the bonnet). There you should see a sort of stick/indicator floating just over the top of the resevoir, by about half a centimeter.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
Was it raining? If it was the rain hits the hot pipes behind the grill when you are sitting in traffic and evaporates. No probs there.
To check coolant just un-screw the black cap on the resevoir (to the left when you open the bonnet). There you should see a sort of stick/indicator floating just over the top of the resevoir, by about half a centimeter.
Let me add to this by saying, check the coolant when the engine is cold. The reason is twofold, one is this will give the most accurate level of what your coolant is. Number two there is a risk of getting scalded by escaping steam or coolant when the engine is hot.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by sachal007
Hi guys as you know i recently joined the forum, been a volvo guys my entire life. does anyone know how to check the coolant level on 2006 530i. I was sitting at a red light and there was a car in front of me. I noticed some white smoke by my hood, not sure if it was coming from the car's exhaust tht was in front of me or my car. I pulled over checked the engine oil level, but didnt know how to check to see if coolant is at a proper level.

Plus is there any way to tell when the car is running at an optimal level. On cars that i have had they had oil temp gauge, but this is the first car i cant seem to find the temp gauge.

thank you for helping the new kid on the block
You can monitor the coolant temp in a "hidden menu". Sure it's not as easy as if we got an actual temp gauge, but anyway...

Here are the instructions to open the "hidden menu".
It says in the instructions that the ACC must be turned on but the engine still off to access the menu, but at least I'm able to get into the menu even if the car is running.

- Antti -
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Originally Posted by Anzafin
You can monitor the coolant temp in a "hidden menu". Sure it's not as easy as if we got an actual temp gauge, but anyway...

Here are the instructions to open the "hidden menu".
It says in the instructions that the ACC must be turned on but the engine still off to access the menu, but at least I'm able to get into the menu even if the car is running.

- Antti -
thank you guys!!!! i really appreciate it, but those hidden instructions are pretty overwhelming
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can open the resevoir tank on the left side of the engine (facing the windwhield)-