E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Automatic and SMG transmission :thumbsdown:

Manual 6 speed
Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skeematics
Automatic and SMG transmission :thumbsdown:

Manual 6 speed

Ha. I should have bought the six speed, but my wife need to use it sometimes.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Ok coming in late to this discussion but maybe it will help someone. I had the same issue with my 550 Auto and I looked at the work order and it says "adjusted and re-calibrated yaw and tilt sensor" whatever that means!!!

Hope this helps

_S
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Members

Very interesting information this "Granny style driving"- learning curve. Also did the INPA memory reset and adaptive reset, but the 2nd to 1st gear slamm eventually came back. I have a habit to make pedal to the metal accelerations to target speed, when entering highway. Have to do the resets again and drive not like you stole it for a whileReport experiences later.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by scottlep
I took my 545 to the Independent shop yesterday after work. I had a good conversation with the owner of the shop after he scanned my 545 for codes and we took the car for a test drive. Here is what I got out of the conversation after he ran the diagnostics and retrieved NO codes.

1. There would definitely be a code if the was an internal mechanical problem with the transmission.

2. He definitely thinks that the problem is computer/software/adaptive driving related.

3. He asked me what the other dealers told me when I picked up my car after the adaptive driving was reset....my answer "nothing".

4. He informed me that after the adaptive driving is reset and the "2-1 tip-in" is performed that there is a specific way that the car should be driven for a few hundred miles after the reset and tip-in. This includes driving the car conservatively and not doing any full throttle runs, high speed driving, etc. He said to basically drive like a granny for a few hundred miles. I was never told this by either of the dealers that did the resets.

5. He said they have changed the adaptations on a few dozen cars that had the slam and other symptoms and every single one had been resolved with the reset, tip-in, and conservative driving for a few hundred miles afterwords. There was even another customer there in the waiting room with a 2005 530 that had the same problem in the past. The owner of the shop asked the customer to tell me about his trans problems and if they had been resolved. The customer then told me about all of the symptoms he had, what the shop did, and that all of the symptoms and the slam were now gone and had been non-existent for well over 10,000 miles.

6. The owner of the shop did say that he has had situations where the adaptations had to be reset and the above procedures followed more than once before the computer learned properly. But this was not the case in most situations.

I have scheduled a day next week to stop by and have them reset the adaptive driving and re-perform the 2-1 tip-in and (for lack of a better term) custom tuning of the transmission. I will then "drive conservatively" as per their recommendations.

So...I am hopeful that this will take care of the problem once and for all. I have used this shop many times in the past for my other BMWs and my wife's BMWs. I don't think the owner would tell me that he could fix it with a $50 re-programming when he could just tell me it needed a $6000 transmission and make tons of money from the labor.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Any update?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 550i M-Sport Carbon Black

I just bought a 2009 550i with 61k and have had similar issues with my automatic transmission.

Only significant difference is that my worst issue was a clumsy shift from 2 to 3. Kind of loopy, not a slam, but hesitation than a push. Anyway, read through this thread and here is where I am at:

1. Had pan/filter and fluid replaced by independent. Trans was better, but 2-3 shift issue was still there. I had little hope after this, thought my trans was on it's way out.

2. Had dealer perform fluid exchange. Afterward, had them update software, perform 2-1 tip in and reset adaptive trans. Major improvement.

At this point, 2-3 shift is almost perfect every time. and 2-1 is better. I drove smoothly for 150 miles or so, and am now getting into it a bit more and so far, so good. It has been a total of maybe 3 or 4 weeks and I am happy with where I am. I will report back after a few more months.

BTW, the 30 sec pedal reset did nothing for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

i have this problem all i did so far was change the transmission oil it made it smooth a little bit but whenever i come to a hard stop i feel like I got rear ended and also when i put it in reverse it lags i don't know why its acting this way any suggestions guys ?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by 3Banana
Could be a corruption of the gearbox adaptation values

Mine was doing it after an oil change , I had used INPA to measure the gearbox oil temp during the oil change and had frequent data flow errors that may have caused the adaptation figures to be corrupted

Mine was fixed through INPA

INPA
F4 E60
Transmission
Gearbox Control module GS19
F6 Activate
F3 Reset adaption values

go back to the dealer and ask for this to be done, it is a 2 minute job

I hope it fixes the problem for you

My gearbox is now smoother than I have ever felt it
this is the same thing you can do in your car as posted in the very first posts. It resets the adaption values. And unfortunately dealers do not have or even know how to use INPA. That is not a dealer tool it's an engineering tool only used in the actual BMW factories.

OP, I suggest you top off fluid and or do a drain and fill and then reset the transmission. Keep in mind it could be a leaking mechatronics sleeve or even a bad valve body. but since it only havppens on 1-2 i doubt it's the above. Looks like it may be low on fluid. Just follow procedures to top off and make sure you are switching through the gears while topping off. For you, you can put the car in the air and start while cold and then open the filler plug and pump in more fluid while having someone simple put the transmission in M and switching through the gears with 5 second hold time. It is full when you've switched through the gears and still have a little fluid starting to pour out. Close the plug and torque it to spec. DO not exceed 50 Celsius. Have an infrared thermometer handy. Whole process takes 10 min and probably only needs less than 1 liter of fluid. Just buy the pentosin ATF +1 at napa for $15 liter. it is fully interchangeable and mixes without issue. good luck
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
i have this problem all i did so far was change the transmission oil it made it smooth a little bit but whenever i come to a hard stop i feel like I got rear ended and also when i put it in reverse it lags i don't know why its acting this way any suggestions guys ?
Sounds like the valve body 100% every symptom. Jerkiing on 1-2 and back down and then reverse as well can jerk, lag or even slip in and out.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
Anyone every got the Transmission failsafe after the jerk? Wondering if I should try the INPA fix before the dealer tells me I need a new Tranny.
INPA isn't going to fix. YOu have a physical issue which sounds like it may be low fluid

Quick Reply: 2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW