E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

My experience with this tranny slam is slightly different in that it occurred when I manually shifted from 2 to one while driving in manual mode, never had the problem in auto or DS mode bUT only been driving this car for a month since getting her.
Would this problem be the same? And could it also be fixed by the reset?

thanks

2004 545i 40Kmiles
Mysticblue
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Sounds like the valve body 100% every symptom. Jerkiing on 1-2 and back down and then reverse as well can jerk, lag or even slip in and out.
definitely the valve body thanks bro my mechanic told me but will it get worse if i dont replace it ? cause its too expensive i wanted to do an software update maybe that can help
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
definitely the valve body thanks bro my mechanic told me but will it get worse if i dont replace it ? cause its too expensive i wanted to do an software update maybe that can help
You're welcome. I have rebuilt a few BMW tranny's and they're similar whether GM or ZF except a few things. You can do the software update and it will not hurt only help. I cannot tell you if it will get worse or when honestly. If it were me I would just update the software and make sure the fluid is topped off, I would reset adaptions and you should be good. Unless you have a blown deal or something which does not sound like the case. Go to euautohaus and ask them if they can help you update the software for you or diagnose the car's issue. A friend had a tranny slam for over a year and half before I helped him take care of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Same issue, can anyone help in the LA area?

Hi guys,

I have this same issue where 2nd to 1st downshift results in a hard jerk (and then another jerk). This issue developed over the past two-three months on my '04 525i w/ 84k miles.

It looks like options for this issue include an:
1. INPA reset
2. Adaptive learning reset
3. 2-1 tip in
4. and trans fluid replacement.

Can anyone clarify what "2-1 tip" means?

I brought it to one shop but they were only able to tell me that I had the latest transmission software + fluid but couldn't give me any of the above options except a transmission replacement.

Can anyone please recommend a shop in the los angeles area who is familiar with the above issue?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help! - Page 19 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Has a video showing how to remove mechatronics and change solenoids.

Source for solenoids - http://www.thectsc.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

You got jerked for your car! I'm sorry just saying! 30k is way too much bra!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
New Members

Hello,
Well I just bought a 07 530i about 3 wks ago with 60k mi, and last friday my car started slamming 4-5 gear. Trans fault came one and everything. Luckily the car is still CPO'ed till the end of the year cuz my local dealer is putting in a new transmission tomorrow. It was giving a fault for solenoid 4,5 and downshifting 3. So hopefully I wont have no more issues now. Awesome car though!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 750i

Sorry about reviving a old thread but I have the same exact issue on my 06 750Li as well as my 08 750Li. Both have this hard jerking moving when coming to a complete stop, I tried to do the 30 sec trick and drive like a granny but nope it still does the same thing.

I am very curios about the "2-1 tip"? What is this exactly? If someone could please help I would appreciate it.

I feel the thing I need to do is get INPA and the cable.

1. Do a transmission fluid flush and refill with ZF-Lifeguard Fluid (6-speed)
2. INPA reset
3. Adaptive learning reset
4. 2-1 tip in
5. Drive like a granny for a long while

Now my other question would be is this the right procedure to do or would it be better to do the transmission fluid change afer the reset and the tip in?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciate it, so if you posted on here before and did any of these steps that helped you please let us know.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you own a BMW INPA or newer software is a must if you plan on DIY. I do not know anything about the 750i software but here in the E60 world I know a lot. There is a thread in the DIY section explaining our transmission issues in detail and fixes that actually worked

I would advise doing a reset if the fluid has not been changed. You should be changing your fluid every 30k - 50k depending on what works for you ($$$). You might have other issues that plagues your model. I don't know if being on the 5 series site will help you out much. It might get you in the general ball park but actually fixing your issues might be correctly detailed on other sites that cover the model you have.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 750i

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If you own a BMW INPA or newer software is a must if you plan on DIY. I do not know anything about the 750i software but here in the E60 world I know a lot. There is a thread in the DIY section explaining our transmission issues in detail and fixes that actually worked

I would advise doing a reset if the fluid has not been changed. You should be changing your fluid every 30k - 50k depending on what works for you ($$$). You might have other issues that plagues your model. I don't know if being on the 5 series site will help you out much. It might get you in the general ball park but actually fixing your issues might be correctly detailed on other sites that cover the model you have.
I appreciate the response, I don't know if our transmissions are the same but they have the same issue which makes me believe they must be the same or very similar. When you say changing fluid do you mean transmission fluid or every single fluid possible on the car? What's newer software wise than INPA, thanks again for the reply I do appreciate it since I really wanna fix the issue I am having.

On a side note I was told perhaps the Rear Driveshaft Flex Universal Joint Coupler could help fix the issue and was curious if anyone has tried it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Drivesh...53.m2749.l2649

Last edited by complexs; 08-14-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW