E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 545i Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2K5 545i Sport package

Hey all,

I'm a new topic poster to the forum but I've been observing for quite some time. My car is at the dealer (Patrick BMW - Schaumburg, IL) right now because I received the error message "Battery is not securely connected. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center".

My SA just called saying that I don't drive the car on long enough trips (at least 10 miles) which is causing the drain on the battery and bringing up fault codes. He said the battery is fine and just needs to be charged. I was given the option of: purchasing a BMW gel based battery @ $600, purchasing a plug in device @ $85 (plug it in an outlet at night at my garage) or driving longer trips to ensure proper charge.

My question is if anyone else encountered this? I know I remember reading posts on "high battery drain" issues but can't remember what resolution came about, if any. It doesn't make sense right???

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i; Titanium Silver II; Sport Package; Cold Weather; Navigation; 3M Clear Bra; Alpine IPOD Interface; MOMO GTR Tech 19" Wheels; Heated Wheel; Smoked Hella Taillights

Originally Posted by efb1378' post='565145' date='Apr 21 2008, 11:20 AM
Hey all,

I'm a new topic poster to the forum but I've been observing for quite some time. My car is at the dealer (Patrick BMW - Schaumburg, IL) right now because I received the error message "Battery is not securely connected. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center".

My SA just called saying that I don't drive the car on long enough trips (at least 10 miles) which is causing the drain on the battery and bringing up fault codes. He said the battery is fine and just needs to be charged. I was given the option of: purchasing a BMW gel based battery @ $600, purchasing a plug in device @ $85 (plug it in an outlet at night at my garage) or driving longer trips to ensure proper charge.

My question is if anyone else encountered this? I know I remember reading posts on "high battery drain" issues but can't remember what resolution came about, if any. It doesn't make sense right???

Thanks for your help!
I had an issue with my battery that would always get drained. If the car sat for a week or so the battery would need to be charged. Finaly I got an error message and my dealer discovered that the battery was bad. One of the cells was no good. They replaced my battery with a new battery and evrerything is OK now. I would question your SA about this. Maybe they don't want to replace the battery for you.