E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 battery drain message

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:34 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530xi
Default e60 battery drain message

Hi, lots of reading done already about that issue, but i didnt found a specific info.
can the IBS alone could cause the car to not go into sleep. if not then i am lost.

all in all, the car doesnt want to go in sleep. start button stays lit all the time, audio system stays on, eventualy kicks the battery drain message.

thanks,
Pat
Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Yes it could. Have you done anything recently to the car that could be the reason?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:50 PM
New Members

hi, no i havent done anything to the car, it did it for like 2 days, now it doesnt...
100% intermitent.
i have some scanners, no latent code or can errors,...
i am thinking about humidity in the wiring somewhere.

while i was designing my remote start system, i saw that any slight draw on the can wires would cause the car to not go in sleep, especialy the wires at the "key" holder where it reads the transponder chip...i am talking about fractions n-amps, from known good can chips drivers used everywhere on the automotive market. everything was working fine, no errors, no codes. the car just wouldnt go into sleep...i had to modify my hardware to accomodate this.
sure enough its all out for now to troubleshoot as you would say "ha dumb ass remove that crap from there and you will be fine" noooo... with a bare bone stock car it still do it randomly.

what i hate the most is the total absence of scientific method to troubleshoot that properly. disconnect fuses, change x-y-z modules, total trial and error...but the car is smart enough to "know" about the current draw but doesnt want to shut it off ? thats an engineering fail for me...or its programmed obsolescence
Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

So let me see if I understand this correctly. You modified a remote start to be programmed with your existing remote or attached it to the car. After trying to get it to work you would get a steady power draw because the car would not turn itself off (randomly). So you pulled everything out and it is still not turning off (randomly). Was the car doing this prior to you working on it? If not then we know it is something cause by the remote start. Have you did a battery reset on the system yet? ( Unplugging negative terminal for an hour or touching the two terminals) Have you verified all your wiring. Have you disconnected the IBS to see if you were still having the issue?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 AM
New Members

not
i havent modified an existing remote start, i am electronic engineer in that field and made if from scratch for this particular car. its not a goofed up gizmo made by a redneck. ive been 20 years as a remote start designer, software programmer and PCB art designer, now retired.

The car been working perfectly with my remote start for nearly a year without any problems and never ever did since last week.

It just started to behaves recently with the "increased battery drain" message. So i pulled my stuff out to see if it could be that but it continued after and stoped at some moment for no apparent reasons after 2 days.

My software has the capability to self diagnose and get tracking of the can activity, i can tell the car also "wakes up" on its own for no reasons.....weird.

Car been fine for the last few days, with my electronic stuff back in.
I didnt disconnected the ibs yet. just wanted to know about the ibs alone if it could keep the car awake.
the issue is realy intermitent.
the only thing i realy made "different" from the common usage on this car is that i started to use the key lock mechanism on the driver door to roll-up the windows....

thanks for the comments and helps.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by patallen
I didnt disconnected the ibs yet. just wanted to know about the ibs alone if it could keep the car awake.
yes it can, if it's sending duff data.

if you had DIS you could see the error codes and monitor the battery charge. I'm sure with your expertise you can try various combinations and see if anything changes in the diagnostics (i.e. fully charge battery outside of car, put it back in, start engine, then see if DIS reports 100% battery charge).
Old 05-11-2015, 04:36 PM
New Members

i understand this part can be faulty and would send wrong data to the car...but why in the hell would it not let the car to go in sleep unless it shorts physicaly the can wires to ground or +12v??

scenario 1, it read 9999amp consumption....this would lead to a serious problem if it would be real, and thus logicaly would catch the car on fire, assumption is that the brain responsible of the sleep/awakeness of the car would disable all it can...no ? it keep the car awake...lol...

scenario 2, it read 0 amp....what else could it do.

scenario 3, IBS wire disconnected, everything is suggested by the ones who did it that it didnt set any codes (so the ecus dont know its there or not ?) and all revert to normal. strange.

the car is at rest, stoped. all it can do at that moment is monitor the current consumption, not the healthiness of the battery ?!?, so i am still wondering why it would affect the sleep or not of the car. i am not debating that it does it or not....i just find that the conclusion is too simple for something supposedely "intelligent".

i will try soon some test to see what it says depending on car/battery illness and conditions that could affect this.

fwiw the video shows a different case scenario where the guy claims the battery is effectively dead and the car doesnt start at all.

my car never showed any signs that it would not start or that the battery could be defective at all.
we had several -40 last winter and it always started fine.

i try to fix the problem, not put just a band aid over the problem.

thanks,
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM
New Members

update, the problem is realy random.
the car goes to sleep most of the time, it just get waked up for some reason.
IBS disconnected, cluster disconnected, still do it.

among the things that can physicaly wake up the car that i noted:
-key switch in the door
-trunk key switch
-trunk release handle
-hood switch

all of theses can potentialy catch up humidity and here in north, salt and calcium so theses will be the first ones to be disconnected for test purpose.

i wont throw 2000$ in that car for that stupid problem.
to be continued....
Old 05-29-2015, 05:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

May sound strange but keeping the key at least 30 feet away worked for me. I had the same
issue and i figured what the heck and no problems with the battery drain since...
Old 05-30-2015, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by patallen
i understand this part can be faulty and would send wrong data to the car...but why in the hell would it not let the car to go in sleep unless it shorts physicaly the can wires to ground or +12v??

scenario 1, it read 9999amp consumption....this would lead to a serious problem if it would be real, and thus logicaly would catch the car on fire, assumption is that the brain responsible of the sleep/awakeness of the car would disable all it can...no ? it keep the car awake...lol...

scenario 2, it read 0 amp....what else could it do.

scenario 3, IBS wire disconnected, everything is suggested by the ones who did it that it didnt set any codes (so the ecus dont know its there or not ?) and all revert to normal. strange.

the car is at rest, stoped. all it can do at that moment is monitor the current consumption, not the healthiness of the battery ?!?, so i am still wondering why it would affect the sleep or not of the car. i am not debating that it does it or not....i just find that the conclusion is too simple for something supposedely "intelligent".

i will try soon some test to see what it says depending on car/battery illness and conditions that could affect this.

fwiw the video shows a different case scenario where the guy claims the battery is effectively dead and the car doesnt start at all.

my car never showed any signs that it would not start or that the battery could be defective at all.
we had several -40 last winter and it always started fine.

i try to fix the problem, not put just a band aid over the problem.

thanks,
E60 Voltage Supply and Bus System - MBA????

in that document it states a particular fault condition can cause the car not to go to sleep.

Use DIS or ISTA, run the energy diagnosis, maybe it can pinpoint the fault. E.g. the other day someone came to me with an airbag light that would always come back every time he cleared it. Did the diagnosis on dis and it was complaining about the resistance of one of the tensioners, ran the measurement and it said it was out of spec by 1.2ohms (3.7 instead of 2.5ohms). Unplugged and cleaned the connector, voila, all sorted.