E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i still rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by panochote
Ok I tried the lower octane . . three tanks and it did not make the problem better. I am not positive the dealer completed the SB dealing with the valve clearance. It runs smooth as heck on the open road but in town I get that BUMP in the ilde and like it just wants to take off at a stop light. I just feel like selling it and starting over.
How long ago and which dealership did you buy your car from?... I can tell you now that Bmw West Service department sucks, if that is where you bought your vehicle. They sold me a vehicle that had a million things wrong, even after they said that it went through the "proper service inspection procedures"; before driving it off the lot. One whole week in the shop to be exact... So long story short, I took it to Southwest Momentum BMW and took care of me and everything that was wrong was covered under the warranty.
I advise you that you take it to Southwest Momentum Bmw and ask for the the service guy named [Phillip Pham]. He is really helpful and doesn't half ass anything.

Last edited by abdkhan1; 12-29-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i M sport
Model Year: 535i / 2010

I know what all of you that have a rough idle are going through. I have a 08, 528i N52 with 101K miles and had same problem and at first I started by replacing spark plugs, engine and cabine filters about 3 12oz. of fuel injector cleaner, engine oil change and MAF cleaner did all of that in about 4 weeks without any positive change, my car idle was reading 623rpm shaking the steering wheel and doing an annoying noise and going up to 680rpm and down. So I finally decided to take a visit to dealer and explain what I already have done.
After not finding anything wrong they just raise the idle from 650rpm to 750rpm and after a week the car has been running like it was before a had that problem.
I have learned few things of maintenance on my car thanks to the rough idle but next time I rather just take it to dealer.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

I am still fighting this idle vibration on my 550i. I have torn the engine down excessively and replaced all the common gaskets, o-rings, etc that fail on E60 v8's. Smoke tested, plugs, maf, ccv, on and on and on. I have ista/d & P and have reprogrammed, etc. The only thing left i have is raising the idle. I am pretty confident in my mechanical abilities and own a small bmw repair business i do on the side. Yet i cannot track this issue down. Its driving me nuts. Hope someone comes up with an answer.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
I am still fighting this idle vibration on my 550i. I have torn the engine down excessively and replaced all the common gaskets, o-rings, etc that fail on E60 v8's. Smoke tested, plugs, maf, ccv, on and on and on. I have ista/d & P and have reprogrammed, etc. The only thing left i have is raising the idle. I am pretty confident in my mechanical abilities and own a small bmw repair business i do on the side. Yet i cannot track this issue down. Its driving me nuts. Hope someone comes up with an answer.
Raising the idle did help my car, but the rpm will still fluctuate.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM
New Members

ABD, I bought it from an individual back in September. I love the way it rides but anal about that idle lie the rest of the guys who post and care for their cars. I do know who you are talking about at Momentum. I also have dealt with a fella by the name of Andrew there too. I also have a 2004 325ci I take there. My Idle is stil at 600 I believe. I will take it to them and have them raise the idle and maybe that will also take the slight PINGING noise away too.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Members

Same Issue as hooch999. Rough idle when AC was on. The RPMs jumped around from 500-800 while in drive or reverse only.

2004 545i 165K miles

Following tips on this thread the car is back to normal
-Sprayed MAF sensor with cleaner and let sit for 10 mins
- Cleaned throttle body and the inside of the intake manifold
- Cleaned crank case valves
- Cleaned (2) vacuum lines connecting to intake pipe to crank case valves. 1 was clogged so I blew engine cleaner through it while the crank case valve was removed and made sure there were no blockages

Result - Stable idle with and without AC, better throttle response, noticeable increase in low end power (+5hp)
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

This will help on some of the idle issues on some of the cars...

This will be hard to explain

pull off both the CCV springs and stretch the spring a little. Just a little to give a little more seat pressure. you do not need a lot. then re install.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Raising the idle did help my car, but the rpm will still fluctuate.
Hi, Mike,

Do you know that can I raise my idle rpm thr INPA?
I currently also encounter a low and rough idle problem.
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

PM'ed you back. Dealer raised the idle for me.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Did any of you guys try replacing the Cam Position Sensors as mentioned in the linked bimmerfest thread?

Quick Reply: 2004 545i still rough idle