E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20 thoughts on my first 20 days as an owner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I've had my 545i now for 3 weeks so I thought those that are considering purchasing would be interested in my first impressions.

1. You get used to how fast the car is. When I first got it I was blown away every time the light turned green at how much torque and overall power this thing has. Now it feels fast of course but I'm used to it. It's only when I drive my wife's car that I am really reminded that I pretty much have unlimited useful power under my right foot.

2. The sport package is the way to go. This car just looks better with the sport package. Better stance, wheel wells filled out the way they should with the big wheels. This car was meant to have the sport package.

3. The sport seats aren't that comfortable. Yes they hold you in place and are probably great on the track but in the real world, well, they don't hurt my back but they are less comfortable than my E46 standard seats for the long haul.

4. Logic7 sounds good. Having a 6 disk CD changer makes me miss my integrated ipod from my E46 a LOT less.

5. I haven't owned a BMW yet that has as powerful an air conditioner as ANY domestic car.

6. This thing sucks gas. I know it's still in the break in period and it will get better, but it still sucks gas like a SUV.

7.Best cruise control I've ever seen (not the adaptive or active CC). I can pick my exact speed and it will be maintained exactly no matter what.

8. idrive is actually very nice but it is slow to respond. not quite sure why a $65,000 car doesn't merit an extra $100 for a faster processor to drive the MAIN interface to the car.

9.BMW dealers/salesman, at least mine, have been very pleasant. Best I've experienced. no BS, no slick sales pitch, just simple facts and answers to questions.

10. trunk is huge.

11. still has no more back seat room than a honda accord. MUCH bigger than my E46.

12.adaptive steering is awesome. you don't realize it until you drive another car and have to crank the wheel around to turn.

13.interior is just my style. magazines call it sparse or dark or boring. I call it luxury with a purpose, that purpose being driving fast and well.

14. park assist is surprisingly useful to park in my garage. again, though, slow processor makes it less than a perfect execution.

15. this car looks the best from the rear 3/4 view (as in my avatar photo)

16. the gas tank hole doesn't support the hose you are filling it with. hard to explain but those who own it will know exactly what I'm talking about.

17. power headrests? why??

18. forum members are much more mature and less hot-headed than the E46 crowd. Nice to associate with grown-ups.

19.I've always thought the 5 was the perfect expression of BMW. Now that I have moved up from an E46, I realize I was right on the money.

20. bluetooth phone was the sleeper surprise for me. I got it without thinking about it, now I can't live without it.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Hi rodney remington. I am sure you'll have much more to write about in a months time.

The point that interests me is your no 16. You mentioned that the tank hole isn't large enough. First thing that came to mind was that you could be using the wrong petrol. You should use unleaded. The hole fits perfectly for unleaded petrol pumps. If you're trying to pump with leaded petrol, then you'll definitely find the hole too small.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 17 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi rodney remington.? I am sure you'll have much more to write about in a months time.

The point that interests me is your no 16.? You mentioned that the tank hole isn't large enough.? First thing that came to mind was that you could be using the wrong petrol.? You should use unleaded.? The hole fits perfectly for unleaded petrol pumps.? If you're trying to pump with leaded petrol, then you'll definitely find the hole too small.
[snapback]150159[/snapback]
We haven't been able to buy leaded gas in the US for a long, long time.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Please clue me in as to what you mean about the gas tank hole not supporting the hose...

(And edlee, rodney is correct that the only choices here in the US are unleaded and diesel -- and diesel isn't found at most stations. We haven't had leaded fuel since like the '80s.)
Old 07-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

I do agree that the A/C is very powerful, way better than I have expected.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I know exactly what Rodney is talking about - one time in two the gas nozzle will shoot out as it cuts off when the tank is full unless I'm holding the nozzle in at that point. There are a couple of stations here where it's worse than others but I've had gas nozzles shoot out and fall onto the gas station floor when they cut out a few times, plus it's tough to get the air seal so the gas starts to pump out (CA stations have a sprung rubber seal that needs to be pretty airtight before the gas will start to flow, and it's the spring on the rubber seal that causes the problem, but it only happens on my E60, never had the same issue on any other car).
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:02 AM
I do agree that the A/C is very powerful, way better than I have expected.
[snapback]150165[/snapback]
I think you're actually disagreeing with rodney's point -- I think he's saying the opposite about the A/C...

For what it's worth, I find both the A/C and heat in the E60 to be just great!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Titanium gray poplar l Sports package l Logic 7 l PDC NAV l sunshades l chromed 124's l ski bag l euro tint

Gas tank fill is only an issue in California where the gas fume recovery nozzle is HUGE and doesnt fit well. For an interesting quid pro quo, check out which former Calif legislators family owns the patent to this particular piece of required environmentally friendly equipment.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 17 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi rodney remington.? I am sure you'll have much more to write about in a months time.

The point that interests me is your no 16.? You mentioned that the tank hole isn't large enough.? First thing that came to mind was that you could be using the wrong petrol.? You should use unleaded.? The hole fits perfectly for unleaded petrol pumps.? If you're trying to pump with leaded petrol, then you'll definitely find the hole too small.
[snapback]150159[/snapback]
His point is that the hose falls out sometimes. I have had the same issue with the car at times. Glad it doesn't effect my social life!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport,6spd Manual, Carbon Black, Black Leather, Electric Seats, Visability Package.

I have the same problem with my 530d and diesel pumps, especially BP Ultimate ones.

Quick Reply: 20 thoughts on my first 20 days as an owner...