E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

20 thoughts on my first 20 days as an owner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.......I have not had any of those problems with the gas nozzles. I live in California as well and with almost 10000 miles I have not had a single problem with the gas nozzles. Are some of you guys in CA using nozzles with the rubber boot around it? If so that may be the cause of the problem of not sealing sufficiently to start he pump. Those nozzles are very rare in my area as almost all the gas stations use the newer nozzles with recovery holes in the nozzle itself, and no rubber boot. Either way, I have not had any problems with either type of nozzle.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 17 2005, 08:21 PM
[quote name='phototalk123' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:02 AM']I do agree that the A/C is very powerful, way better than I have expected.
[snapback]150165[/snapback]
I think you're actually disagreeing with rodney's point -- I think he's saying the opposite about the A/C...

For what it's worth, I find both the A/C and heat in the E60 to be just great!
[snapback]150168[/snapback]
[/quote]
I like the AC in my E60 WAY WAY better than in my E46...the E46 AC was pretty pathetic compared to the E60 AC...but, I always get this just putrid smell when the AC first starts up when I start the engine. Smells like someone puked in the AC system...is it just my car?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 18 2005, 01:51 AM
Hmm.......I have not had any of those problems with the gas nozzles.? I live in California as well and with almost 10000 miles I have not had a single problem with the gas nozzles.? Are some of you guys in CA using nozzles with the rubber boot around it?? If so that may be the cause of the problem of not sealing sufficiently to start he pump.? Those nozzles are very rare in my area as almost all the gas stations use the newer nozzles with recovery holes in the nozzle itself, and no rubber boot.? Either way,? I have not had any problems with either type of nozzle.
[snapback]150202[/snapback]
Exactly the case for me.
I'm now at just over 9,000 miles and the gas pump has never ejected itself from my car. I can't even recall the last time I had to physically hold the nozzle in the gas tank port throughout the refueling process.

Luckily for you that have, the nozzle didn't fall onto your car and scratch the paint. At least, that's what I'm assuming since nobody has mentioned this yet.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think in Pennsylvania, it's the law that self-service stations remove the little lever that allows you to fuel the car without squeezing the pump. We do have vapor recovery systems (some using the rubber boot and some using the holes at the end of the nozzle) but since you have to squeeze the handle in order to deliver fuel, it isn't likely to pop out.

That said, once in a while you find a station or a specific pump that still has the lever installed and I've never had a problem with the thing popping out of the car...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

Very good post, thanks for sharing the idle details of ownership! Keep us updated!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:21 AM
[quote name='phototalk123' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:02 AM']I do agree that the A/C is very powerful, way better than I have expected.
I think you're actually disagreeing with rodney's point -- I think he's saying the opposite about the A/C...

[/quote]

Haha, you are right.
Sorry, I read between words, I missed the word "have yet "

Sorry about that.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Nice list.

I like the AC (haven't had to use the heat).
Love the rear 3/4th view, but also like the entire profile...pretty nice.
I like the lights, specifically the xenons and the angel eyes.
I like the turn signal controls.
I agree with the cruise control.
I like the debadged look. Not because of the mystique, but just because it looks clean and smooth from the back.
I love the bluetooth. I have a manual, and it is a necessity for me now as well!!!
Lastly, I love the red rear reflectors. Why, not everyone has them or knows where to get them. I've seen lookers, but no one's asked. If they ask, I'll be happy to tell them, but until then, I like being exclusive!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 17 2005, 11:21 PM

[/quote]
your right he is and i agree both a/c and ehat for me are solid but i agree with the gas hole its to big or wide , pump kinda hangs in it not a good fit
Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' date='Jul 18 2005, 04:23 PM
...but i agree with the gas hole its to big or wide , pump kinda hangs in it not a good fit
[snapback]150383[/snapback]
Are you calling me a gas hole?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 17 2005, 09:24 PM
1. You get used to how fast the car is. When I first got it I was blown away every time the light turned green at how much torque and overall power this thing has. Now it feels fast of course but I'm used to it. It's only when I drive my wife's car that I am really reminded that I pretty much have unlimited useful power under my right foot.
2. The sport package is the way to go. This car just looks better with the sport package. Better stance, wheel wells filled out the way they should with the big wheels. This car was meant to have the sport package.
5. I haven't owned a BMW yet that has as powerful an air conditioner as ANY domestic car.
6. This thing sucks gas. I know it's still in the break in period and it will get better, but it still sucks gas like a SUV.
7.Best cruise control I've ever seen (not the adaptive or active CC). I can pick my exact speed and it will be maintained exactly no matter what.
10. trunk is huge.
12.adaptive steering is awesome. you don't realize it until you drive another car and have to crank the wheel around to turn.
13.interior is just my style. magazines call it sparse or dark or boring. I call it luxury with a purpose, that purpose being driving fast and well.
17. power headrests? why??
18. forum members are much more mature and less hot-headed than the E46 crowd. Nice to associate with grown-ups.
[snapback]150156[/snapback]
After a year with mine:

1. I agree. Not that it isn't awesome; but I could picture more.
2. I agree again. It makes it wider and lower. I think one of the things that makes it look so sporty is its low, squat stance.
5. Mine's fine, but I agree mine stinks when I first turn it on.
6. I'm actually impressed with my mileage. 31mpg at 65 mph; 27 on a mostly highway run at 70-75mph. Admittedly, around town it's down in the teens, but then again, I drive like I'm in my teens around town.
7. I agree cruise is cool. Very easy to adjust speed gracefully.
10. Agree, with seats folded it's like an SUV back there.
12. Agree, I forget about it until I drive my wife's 325ix wagon.
13. I like it. Cool, understated, a little bit austere, but functional.
17. Yeah, I always wondered what I was missing there. Not something you should be adjusting all the time.
18. Nice group. Welcoming, but challenging!

I'll let you know whether I forgive my dealer for giving me a *@!# Corolla loaner when I find out whether they're going to give me fresh Dunlop runflats at my 12,000 mile oil/filter change (only about 7,000 on the summer tires, and they are a little louder).

Quick Reply: 20 thoughts on my first 20 days as an owner...