DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Xenon Bulb Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='781786' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:20 AM
thanks, what do you mean foreal? its a real german plate custom made i reside in pennsylvania & nyc so i guess if thats what you ask
haha i just cant beleive you have that on your car and are getting away with it. i would think something like that would get you in trouble with the cops.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Exclamation

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='781809' date='Jan 31 2009, 12:16 PM
haha i just cant beleive you have that on your car and are getting away with it. i would think something like that would get you in trouble with the cops.
Alot of people look and laugh
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 530i, e39 540i, e28 533i, e46 330i, S430

when you pull out the headlight do you have to drop the front bumper like on the e90 3 series?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

I too need to do some maintenance on my Adaptive headlight bi-xenons, but for a different reason. I am on a E60 530i LCI with the M-Sport kit.

Mine had some water moisture in it creating horrible condensation, and now one of the xenon (on the driver side, right) is blown, but all other lights are ok (angel-yellow-stock, signal, and the angel around the dummy inside light. The left side cluster has all lights working as normal, but does also have some condensation marks.

The questions are:

1. How easy and safe is it to remove the whole light cluster? Can it be done personally, or does this require a dealer, if it's with Bi-Xenon and Adaptive cornering light?

2. Is the replacement Xenon lamp the H7 55W Philips Diamond light? What is the K of the original light that came with the car?

3. Does anyone have a manual or an instruction guide on removing the whole lamp cluster?

4. It did mention in the manual that it's a dealer only removal due to high voltages, and there is a warning sticker on the light saying 25,000V. Wow, that is scarily high! Any special tools needed for discharging?

5. The cornering light doesn't seem to be working, and I get a 'Cornering light, and Dim light defective' error on my iDrive when I start the car. Does this require a dealer reset after replacing the defective Xenon?

6. Is there a way of reaching inside the lamp cluster to clean the inside of the front plastics? The idea is to clean off the water condensation and marks that built up there. Is there a way to remove the whole Xenon or the Dummy lamp housing from the cluster?

Appreciate all your answers guys, and this is a great forum, with extremely helpful and informative e60 owners.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Members

H Guys,

No one can help with the above?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by legendary' post='786708' date='Feb 6 2009, 06:03 AM
when you pull out the headlight do you have to drop the front bumper like on the e90 3 series?
No you dont have to drop the bumper....Its only 4 torx screws...The bottom 2, you just loosen, dont unscrew all the way....Then the top 2 you take out...Then remove the circular cover in the back...Then lift out and disconnect the light...Should only take 5mins...
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beenthere' post='788515' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Guys,

I too need to do some maintenance on my Adaptive headlight bi-xenons, but for a different reason. I am on a E60 530i LCI with the M-Sport kit.

Mine had some water moisture in it creating horrible condensation, and now one of the xenon (on the driver side, right) is blown, but all other lights are ok (angel-yellow-stock, signal, and the angel around the dummy inside light. The left side cluster has all lights working as normal, but does also have some condensation marks.

The questions are:

1. How easy and safe is it to remove the whole light cluster? Can it be done personally, or does this require a dealer, if it's with Bi-Xenon and Adaptive cornering light?

2. Is the replacement Xenon lamp the H7 55W Philips Diamond light? What is the K of the original light that came with the car?

3. Does anyone have a manual or an instruction guide on removing the whole lamp cluster?

4. It did mention in the manual that it's a dealer only removal due to high voltages, and there is a warning sticker on the light saying 25,000V. Wow, that is scarily high! Any special tools needed for discharging?

5. The cornering light doesn't seem to be working, and I get a 'Cornering light, and Dim light defective' error on my iDrive when I start the car. Does this require a dealer reset after replacing the defective Xenon?

6. Is there a way of reaching inside the lamp cluster to clean the inside of the front plastics? The idea is to clean off the water condensation and marks that built up there. Is there a way to remove the whole Xenon or the Dummy lamp housing from the cluster?

Appreciate all your answers guys, and this is a great forum, with extremely helpful and informative e60 owners.

Thanks for the help.
it is easy to take it off . I replaced my headlight bulb in 15 minutes by taking the whole headlight out.

First, turn off your car and open the hood.
there is a rubber piece that is on the top of the front bumper to protect the hood. remove them.

Use torx screws to removed all 5 screwes that holds top part of bumper. (some people dont do this step but i found out it is easier to take headlight off after loosing those screws.

Remove 4 screwes that holds headlight . two are on top and two are on the bottom. For the bottom one , remove the plastic round cover and you will see a grey screw it use small torx screw( i believe it is t20) and use extenstion to reach all the way down there. You do not have to unscrew all the way.. just loose them up slightly.

now you should be able to take the whole headlight out and carefully take the headlight out.

cornering light warning.. i guess it has problem with side blinker... after you remove them you can replace them easily. just get the bulb and replace yourself. No need dealer to reset because it will automatically reset the warning.

if you bring it to dealer, they will charge you alot for no reason... so i suggest you to do it.

for the cleaning inside.... well i dont recommand it... because you have to break the seal and reglue them and it is risky to take them apart and glue them together... if you get water condensation... make sure your cover for high beam is tightly sealed... sometimes you get condensation by not putting that cover...

if you have any question just pm me... and i can put DIY later when i replace my bulb soon
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beenthere' post='790027' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:25 PM
H Guys,

No one can help with the above?
make your own post you will get lots of answers are you under warranty?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Members

hi All

Thanks for the replies. Will try as per suggestion. However, since the few days that i have left the car while waiting for the instructions, I have opened up the 3 plastic cover tops (one large one at the back and 2 small ones on top of the head unit cluster), and put the car out the in sun for it to dry out.

It seems to have cleared most of the water condensation but is leaving some unsightly water swirl marks on the inside of the headlamp unit. That is indeed terrible, but i rather live with that than to break the head lamp seal.

Coincidently, I also do have water inside my fog-lights (due to a heavy splash from underneath. I have asked in several other thread if there is a way to completely remove the fog lamp housing so that i can access the inside and clean the dirt and small sand debris here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5912&st=120

Does any of you have any experience in removing the fog lamp?

Thanks.