DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='544262' date='Mar 13 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks Bruce (and Rudeja)!

I must bookmark this thread and have a go at this the next time I rip out my dash trim, which I need to do soon as I've an intermittent connection behind there for my Garmin Sat Nav (when the car gets hot, the power goes off!! - I know where the problem is though!)

Mike
Can't wait to hear. If you are willing to pay postage I can send a BMW OEM wire with the 3 connectors attached to them that I think you need. I'm not sure they are the ones but I have them in the house and its well worth a try.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a great option.

I wonder if the bluetooth unit will fit in the ashtray, for a clean look. My buddy installed aftermarket sat radio in is 335i and the unit fit neatly in the ashtray area, just close the cover you see nothing.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='543584' date='Mar 12 2008, 04:27 PM
Also by doing this yourself you don't need to modify the BMW OEM cables to remove the Resistors and Capacitors that most people have cut out, you simply don't connect them. Just use straight wires connected via some Tyco contacts.

I don't know the exact part numbers for the Tyco contacts but they should be pretty standard. Don't quote me on this but part no 61130005197 should do just fine - it also comes with a bit of wire attached to it too.
Bruce, I think you just answered what my next forum question was gonna be - if the corresponding holes in the 12 pin (right) connector where these in/outputs are located are vacant, a Tyco contact is the way of populating them?

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

I remember losing bass on other sources if you install the AUX without programming. Actually I'm pretty sure that you do lose bass. Thats what happened on my 525i before. The dealer put in the AUX cable but didn't get to program it right away, so I had to come back the next day, and drove around for a whole night without bass, and the dealer said that its suppose to be like that, and that i"ll get bass back when programming is done.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='545926' date='Mar 16 2008, 11:58 PM
I remember losing bass on other sources if you install the AUX without programming. Actually I'm pretty sure that you do lose bass. Thats what happened on my 525i before. The dealer put in the AUX cable but didn't get to program it right away, so I had to come back the next day, and drove around for a whole night without bass, and the dealer said that its suppose to be like that, and that i"ll get bass back when programming is done.
But with the Aux wire you would not have been grounding the Radio Mute button so that could be the reason. Also without the radio muted, you would have two source competing for the same amp and that could be the reason for the lack of tones.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Members

Great read up on both of your mods.. Nice work

Ok couple of questions..

I am intrested in doing a Bluetooth and AUX

Now for AUX I would follow your instructions above
and for Bluetooth it would be pins 6+ 12 + 10

Now my question is as both need to connect to pin 10 what will happen when say you have a mp3 connected to AUX and a call comes in ? will it have both on the speakers until you flip the switch used for AUX to just have the phone alive?

Lastly the Tyco contacts and wire where can I get those from, maplin? or I can pay your postage costs like you offered AlwynMike

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Members

Also I forgot to ask was you was pin 10 to switch to ? how do you control it to mute the radio ?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Members

I might have to try this on my friend's car.
He has an 04 and he says there are no aux inputs so I might try this one for him.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='543584' date='Mar 12 2008, 11:27 AM
Read http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=51855

Rudeja has found out that the connections where the BMW OEM Aux input go are active when the Radio Mute is active. Ofcourse this is only for people who do not have the OEM Aux set-up.

So now you don't have to get the expensive AUX wire or the programming from BMW. All you need is a simple female mini-plug or RCA connectors and connect them to the back of the CCC/MASK.

On the plug X13813 connect :
- Right +ve to PIN 7
- Left +ve to PIN 2
- Groun -ve to PIN 8

Then connect a simple switch that will Ground Pin 10 of the X13812 - This will mute the Radio and allow you new Aux to pass to the Stereo.

Also by doing this yourself you don't need to modify the BMW OEM cables to remove the Resistors and Capacitors that most people have cut out, you simply don't connect them. Just use straight wires connected via some Tyco contacts.

I don't know the exact part numbers for the Tyco contacts but they should be pretty standard. Don't quote me on this but part no 61130005197 should do just fine - it also comes with a bit of wire attached to it too.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Sweet! Has anyone tried it yet though?
And what are and how do we access the CCC/Mask?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black Saphire

Originally Posted by Jello' post='968862' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:57 PM
Sweet! Has anyone tried it yet though?
And what are and how do we access the CCC/Mask?
tried it. big waste of time and money. poor sound quality and sound only comes from front speakers.

Quick Reply: Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming