DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Shucks, I was really hoping for a way to avoid dishing out money to have a dealership do it
Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I remember I had a solution for this..........

I believe your front speakers are only working while doing this due the following:

Plug X13813 is already attached to you M-ASK/CCC's X13812. If you buy the OEM Aux kit you are paying $60 and it is also attached to a X13813. If you plug X13813 into your M-ASK/CCC you are disconnecting your rear speakers and the shallow mount subs under the seats.
If you cut the OEM Aux cable and use it and tap into your existing X13813 you should have no issues with sound. Likewise you do not need an OEM cable, any quality aux connector such as: (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...N-MINI-2M.html) will work. Monster is good but I don't know if this fits iphone/ipod. If it does work then proceed.....Splice off an end and wire it in! Chances are you have several of these laying around the house.

Again sorry for reviving old threads but I hope this is helpful for someone else should they need it.

Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming-bmw-audio-wiring1.jpg
Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming-bmw-aux-1.jpg
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Can you help out with the mute function? I took pin 10 in this diagram to ground and it does not mute. Is it dependent on the radio/year? Mine is 2008 Logic 7.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Can you help out with the mute function? I took pin 10 in this diagram to ground and it does not mute. Is it dependent on the radio/year? Mine is 2008 Logic 7.
You've got a working NCS set-up why are you even bothering with this. Just add the proper AUX-IN yourself into the CCC.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
You've got a working NCS set-up why are you even bothering with this. Just add the proper AUX-IN yourself into the CCC.

I'm actually doing something else. I have a custom installed radar detector that provides a mute signal (ground). When my detector alerts, the lead will go to ground.

So I was testing whether I could get the radio to mute by grounding pin 10 and it doesn't seem to work.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

If you have AUX-in already coded then this may not work. However look in the CCC trace file there are a few options relating to the MUTE. Try those.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5

Man, I just wish I knew what you Geniuses are talking about...
I guess I'll have to wait until someone breaks it down into layman's terms.

I'm currently using the AUX in the rear of the armrest/console. So... what's the advantage/difference hooking up my iPod your way?
(Sorry for asking -what may be- a dumb question, but I've just been starting to test the 'modding waters'... )

Thx!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i sport package - endless possibilities ahead!

im interested in trying this out on my 530 but i was wondering if the radio is "muted" and i have my iphone playing music will it switch to "unmute" when i get a phone call through the idrive?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
New Members

This is a very interesting thread. Bruce, You've done amazing work to your BMW, I enjoyed reading some of your MODs in your signature.

I have a 2006 530i with factory nav. and 6 CD changer in the glove box, and Logic 7. I'm very interested in adding the aux. , the dealer here wants $450.00 to do this simple addition. Would this MOD work for me?

I have the same question as MDOT above. I use my iPhone through the car's BT all the time, would this have any effect on the operation?

thanks much,

Serv
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM
New Members

Tried this today on my 2005 545i non-nav. Unfortunately I found that when I ground pin 10, the aux input on plays thru my center dash speaker. This would be fine for a phone, but no good for music. On the bright side, I am now wired for aux with a DIY cable, just need to get the stealer to turn it on. FYI - I did not find any change to my CD or radio sound with these wires in place even though the aux is not configured, so I zipped it all back together to start saving my pennies for the download.

Quick Reply: Want a really cheap way to add the AUX input without programming