DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d m sport brabus forfour 2008 cbr1000rr 2005 cbr1000rr 2001 rc51

finally done, problem was it was an older unit, so had to fit differently, but done now
Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530xd 2007 LCI Touring

Could you please help me!

I connected Dension using some alternative optic line I found on the left to the glovebox.
CDC stayed connected with fabric optic line.

It turned out that on my car serial connection of "Car line - Dension - CDC is not working". iDrive can not read nor CDC (switcher on dension aux on cdc-mode) neither Dension (switcher for regular way).

Switching to the CDC mode doesn't give right effect. Dension won't work but CDC won't work as well.

I really don't need CDC myself but my wife is using it and don't want to know anything about ipod...

My car is 2007 lci with naive prof.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 AM
New Members

Ok,,

I am a bit confused by all this.. I am wanting to fit the Denison 500 in my 2005 e61 with professional sat nav...

I don't think my car is mp3 coded... I have just taken an mp3 disc (just created) out to the car and put it in the slot and the changer. Each time, the selection on the screen was greyed out so I couldn't play mp3's in the slot or the changer...

Now - I belive I can still install and use the Denison 500 but I wont be able to see the track names on the screen? If that is true I will need to get the car coded. I plan to install my ipod in the glove box and leave it there.

Can anyone 100% confirm if I am correct that I need the car coded and if thats the case what do you think BMW would charge to do this?

Thanks
Paul
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for the OP. In your photo below, you see the black connector that joins the fibre from the dension with the fibre from the car. Was that connector supplied with the dension? I have no CDC so will it be wired differently? The 2 fibre + 2 power cables are in the one connector inside my glovebox, since the car has CDC prep
Attached Thumbnails Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-post-15990-1198682702.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 AM
New Members

Thanks for the excellent write up...This guide is if you have a CD changer but if you dont have one then would you still find the same cables behind the dasboard?

Many thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Question for the OP. In your photo below, you see the black connector that joins the fibre from the dension with the fibre from the car. Was that connector supplied with the dension? I have no CDC so will it be wired differently? The 2 fibre + 2 power cables are in the one connector inside my glovebox, since the car has CDC prep
This black connector is supplied with the Dension however I have a question on this. In my car I also have CDC prep like you and 2 fibre + 2 power cables are in one connector. As a matter in fact if you look to 4th to 7th pictures from Muttley ( The first post on the first page) it is kind of similar. When you separate those cables from power cables you end up like this:

Her is my question:

Do these 2 green fiber optic cables qualify as Installation type 3a according to Dension Installation manual?:

I have two fiber optic cables directly connected to Dension 500 according to this type of installation. Is this correct?

I have BMW 5 (E61) 2005 model with Professional NAV and Radio, single CD and CDC preparation. After installing the Dension according to above pictures and explanations, I tried to activate the Audio system using Activation Dongle from Dension specially made for BMW. All I got was CD1 to CD6 ( instead of iPod) and still not able to listen my iPod.

I also had BMW actory installed Bluetooth system in the car, after this activation process I also lost the Bluetooth connection and unable to find it.

Any help appreciated

Engin
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i JB4

Hello,

I have a 2008 535i with Nav, mp3 but without CDC. I have the pre-wire and will need to get coded for CDC.

I am working on installing GW500 and got the optical cables separated from the connector and connected to the adapter.

I'm not sure what to do with the power. I got a used unit with a "5" fuse (I'm not sure what it means) already on the line. Do I keep this on the line or use without?

Also, do I need to disconnect the battery to "tap" into the power? I was going to remove the original BMW connector and tape on the "new" one with the fuse on the line. Should I go to Radio Shack or something to get a real tap for a more secure power connection?

Is this correct?

thanks
-p
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by palmer02
finally done, problem was it was an older unit, so had to fit differently, but done now
palmer02,
What was the solution to make your system work?
I have a 07 530i with prof Sat Nav & CDC preped,no CDC installed, I could not find the fiber optic cables but found the power connector. Did you have to buy & install another fiber optic cable? What do you mean by fitted it differently?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 AM
New Members

has cd changer in my e60 which cannot play mp3 and dvd slot with mp3 playback
tried to install dension 500 but nothing is working.
got the blue light on the aux thingy but that's it...

any help will be great
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i retired. 11 550i w/sports package

Originally Posted by orlee008
been reading up an apparently if you dont have the AUX or a CD-changer already installed and working it will not work for you. Blah, i gotta upgrade to much to then upgrade to this system.
I just purchased the Dension 500 (Dension GW51MBE) that comes with an enabler for cars without the CDC. It has not arrived yet, but I will post an update on the install on my 05 545 w/o CD changer.

Check out the website.
GW51MBE - Dension Gw51mbe Ipod Gateway Enabler Tool With Gateway 500 For Bmw Vehicles With Most System (Ipod Adapter With Enabler Tool) - Dension

Quick Reply: Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500