DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Retrofit Rear PDC ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My E61 has'nt got factory rear PDC fitted.

I have purchased a 4 sensor kit made by Fiamm. It looks good and easy to fit.

My question is where do I find the live feed from the reversing lights & what colour is the wire?

Please note this car is the estate version & the reversing lights are in the tailgate not the boot.

Many thanks,
Jeff.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jeff,

Firstly, I would try your Reverse unit on the bench, and check how much current it consumes when at "full beep!". Each reverse light is wired seperately, and would take around 1.75 Amps each. Each light has its own power supply in the Light Module (underneath & behind the Drivers side cubby hole). I am guessing, but I would imagine that each unit would be good for around 2 amps. This gives you 250 milliamps to play with. If your Fiamm unit takes much more than this, then I would use a relay to energise the Fiamm, rather than go direct into the bulb line. You wouldn't want to burn out your Light Module would you!!!

To get at the reverse light wires, you could have a look in the tubes next to the tailgate hinges, but to do a connection in there would be a pain. My suggestion would be to have a look behind the trim which is behind the drivers side rear door, you will see a loosely taped loom in there - you will see it coming "from above". The wires are White with a Yellow Tracer for the left light and Yellow with a White Tracer for the Right.

Mike
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='403002' date='Mar 15 2007, 12:25 PM
Jeff,

Firstly, I would try your Reverse unit on the bench, and check how much current it consumes when at "full beep!". Each reverse light is wired seperately, and would take around 1.75 Amps each. Each light has its own power supply in the Light Module (underneath & behind the Drivers side cubby hole). I am guessing, but I would imagine that each unit would be good for around 2 amps. This gives you 250 milliamps to play with. If your Fiamm unit takes much more than this, then I would use a relay to energise the Fiamm, rather than go direct into the bulb line. You wouldn't want to burn out your Light Module would you!!!

To get at the reverse light wires, you could have a look in the tubes next to the tailgate hinges, but to do a connection in there would be a pain. My suggestion would be to have a look behind the trim which is behind the drivers side rear door, you will see a loosely taped loom in there - you will see it coming "from above". The wires are White with a Yellow Tracer for the left light and Yellow with a White Tracer for the Right.

Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike.

Iwill have a look for the wires at the weekend.

The RPS unit draws a maximum of 200 mA so I guess it will be ok without a relay.

Thanks,
Jeff.