DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

resetting oil change in idrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 29 2005, 04:17 PM
Does this really work????

I wouldn't even try it, 'cause I trade my car every 2 or 3 years.

I usually find something that the could improve at the dealers service.

Why try to save <?50 for a hillbilly bulls**t trick like this?????
[snapback]190605[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did it on mine three times.

once for oil change, (second change - 40000 km - 2 years)
once for brake fluid change (2 years) not changed Because of 40000 km.
& once for the microfilter (not changed - Just cleaned)

It work.
Try it, but don't reset any item. Just to understand the way it work.
[snapback]190627[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would this work for clearing other faults? My i-drive has started to tell me of an "emissions increase" every now and again
Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kreate2' date='Oct 30 2005, 02:24 PM
thanks for the help.? had first oil change after warranty.
[snapback]190946[/snapback]
I did it to my car, after two years too (when guarantee finished).
Did you did it to your's ??
Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:14 AM
[quote name='kreate2' date='Oct 30 2005, 02:24 PM']thanks for the help.? had first oil change after warranty.
Did you dit it to your's ??
[snapback]191266[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just tried it - goodbye warning

Also if you keep the button held for 20 secs a lot of german tech info is displayed in your screen! Any Deutsch speakers here want to provide us with a translation?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by shiny' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:08 PM
[quote name='nicke60gre' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:14 AM'][quote name='kreate2' date='Oct 30 2005, 02:24 PM']thanks for the help.? had first oil change after warranty.
Did you dit it to your's ??
[snapback]191266[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just tried it - goodbye warning

Also if you keep the button held for 20 secs a lot of german tech info is displayed in your screen! Any Deutsch speakers here want to provide us with a translation?
[snapback]191382[/snapback]
[/quote]
just used it for my micro filter it worked a treat got a lot of info but its gobbly gook perhaps someone out there can decipher??
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Where is the micro filter located ?? Mine says 11.000 km's left before it wants a new filter...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

[quote name='E60Sim' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:27 PM']
Where is the micro filter located ?? Mine says 11.000 km's left before it wants a new filter...
[snapback]191469[/snapback]
[/quMines right hand drive its between the windscreen and the eng compartment if that makes sense on the right hand side you'll see a small button attached to it , it is the bonnet open warning device there's a good thread with a pic on how to open it on here in the DIY sect under air filter
Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

resetting oil change in idrive-5399d.jpg
Originally Posted by E60Sim' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:27 PM
[/quMines right hand drive its between the windscreen and the eng compartment if that makes sense on the right hand side you'll see a small button attached to it , it is the bonnet open warning device there's a good thread with a pic on how to open it on here in the DIY sect under air filter
[snapback]191483[/snapback]

ahhr!! Found it in the DIY !

It must be this one ?

Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E60Sim' date='Oct 31 2005, 05:46 PM
Attachment 12016[quote name='E60Sim' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:27 PM']Where is the micro filter located ?? Mine says 11.000 km's left before it wants a new filter...
[snapback]191483[/snapback]

ahhr!! Found it in the DIY !

It must be this one ?

[snapback]191543[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, this one and the other same box at the left side.
Easy to open with a screwdriver (plastic bolt)
Take care of the filter's notches, to avoid up-side down fitting.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

My ride is 23 months old (purchased used about 3 weeks ago). Although under manufacturers warranty until the end of next year (registered 30/12/03), the i-drive kept telling me that it was due for a Brake Fluid Change on 11/2005.

I'm no spring chicken and have been tinkering with cars for over 25 years. Until I bought my first (nearly new) BMW about 10 years ago, I'd never come accross the "Change the brake fluid every 2 years" syndrome.

Yes I know all the technical stuff about brake fluid absorbing moisture and losing it's ability to function properly, but when I was a lad (in the days of British Leyland, drum brakes and leaky wheel cylinders), this was something you could feel under your right foot. (Pedal starts to become spongy, so it's time to check the seals and if no leaks change the fluid).

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I don't believe that a modern car really needs a complete brake fluid change when it's not even 2 yrs old and has covered less than 18k miles. (Does anyone else believe this is a necessary thing for one so young, or is it just a money spinner for the dealers?)

I decided that I wasn't prepared to fork out my hard earned for a fluid change after just having spent my life's savings (and some more) to buy the new baby so I followed the service indicator reset instructions from this forum. The brake fluid is now due for a change in 11/2007, and which I will take a view on whether it gets changed nearer the time.

I'm new to the Forum, so forgive my wittering on. The instructions did take a bit of experimentation and interpretation before I figured out the sequence properly. (Symbols appeared not words and if you hesitate it just cancels the opportunity to accept the reset instruction). If anyone wants me to elaborate on what I did and what I saw, then I'll gladly write them down so you can have a look yourself.

I'll be changing the Microfilters myself - if they are really dirty enough when the time comes (in about 1,300 miles according to the i-drive) and resetting the service indicator afterwards.

From working on my last 5 (e39), which was simplicity itself to change brake pads and oil / oil filter / air filter, I expect to be doing the same on the E60 as by the time they need changing the warranty will be at an end anyway.

Here's to a long and happy relationship with my new baby. (Old e39 baby was nearly 8 years old by the time she left me last month).
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193103' date='Nov 3 2005, 05:01 PM
My ride is 23 months old (purchased used about 3 weeks ago). Although under manufacturers warranty until the end of next year (registered 30/12/03), the i-drive kept telling me that it was due for a Brake Fluid Change on 11/2005.

I'm no spring chicken and have been tinkering with cars for over 25 years. Until I bought my first (nearly new) BMW about 10 years ago, I'd never come accross the "Change the brake fluid every 2 years" syndrome.

Yes I know all the technical stuff about brake fluid absorbing moisture and losing it's ability to function properly, but when I was a lad (in the days of British Leyland, drum brakes and leaky wheel cylinders), this was something you could feel under your right foot. (Pedal starts to become spongy, so it's time to check the seals and if no leaks change the fluid).

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I don't believe that a modern car really needs a complete brake fluid change when it's not even 2 yrs old and has covered less than 18k miles. (Does anyone else believe this is a necessary thing for one so young, or is it just a money spinner for the dealers?)

I decided that I wasn't prepared to fork out my hard earned for a fluid change after just having spent my life's savings (and some more) to buy the new baby so I followed the service indicator reset instructions from this forum. The brake fluid is now due for a change in 11/2007, and which I will take a view on whether it gets changed nearer the time.

I'm new to the Forum, so forgive my wittering on. The instructions did take a bit of experimentation and interpretation before I figured out the sequence properly. (Symbols appeared not words and if you hesitate it just cancels the opportunity to accept the reset instruction). If anyone wants me to elaborate on what I did and what I saw, then I'll gladly write them down so you can have a look yourself.

I'll be changing the Microfilters myself - if they are really dirty enough when the time comes (in about 1,300 miles according to the i-drive) and resetting the service indicator afterwards.

From working on my last 5 (e39), which was simplicity itself to change brake pads and oil / oil filter / air filter, I expect to be doing the same on the E60 as by the time they need changing the warranty will be at an end anyway.

Here's to a long and happy relationship with my new baby. (Old e39 baby was nearly 8 years old by the time she left me last month).
Please do post the steps that you did to reset the servcie indicator. I tried it according to the instructions in this post but not successfully.

Quick Reply: resetting oil change in idrive