DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removings Signage on car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

Was Checking on how you felt about removing the 530 off the back of my car. I think it looks great with out it, But since I got a 530 instead of a 545 does it look like I am trying to fool people.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by roost' date='Oct 13 2004, 07:23 PM
Was Checking on how you felt about removing the 530 off the back of my car. I think it looks great with out it, But since I got a 530 instead of a 545 does it look like I am trying to fool people.
[snapback]44551[/snapback]
Wouldn't worry about it. In Europe, there's an option to delete model designation. I've done it on several of my previous BMWs. Like the clean look. One hint, if you do remove the badge, I found that using waxed dental floss to remove the badge followed by WD-40 or Goo Gone to remove the adhesive works great. Follow it up with some good wax and you're good to go. Also, don't wait too long, otherwise there could be fading from the exposed paint vs. unexposed section.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Remove it. A person who really knows these cars can easily tell the model it is. Remove it. Looks better.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
JDN
Contributors

I agree with kigerka. Do it to suit your taste. I think it looks better without it, too.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jeffnin' date='Oct 13 2004, 09:37 PM
[quote name='roost' date='Oct 13 2004, 07:23 PM']Was Checking on how you felt about removing the 530 off the back of my car. I think it looks great with out it, But since I got a 530 instead of a 545 does it look like I am trying to fool people.
[snapback]44551[/snapback]
Wouldn't worry about it. In Europe, there's an option to delete model designation. I've done it on several of my previous BMWs. Like the clean look. One hint, if you do remove the badge, I found that using waxed dental floss to remove the badge followed by WD-40 or Goo Gone to remove the adhesive works great. Follow it up with some good wax and you're good to go. Also, don't wait too long, otherwise there could be fading from the exposed paint vs. unexposed section.
[snapback]44553[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hi. Can someone pls assist me with an idiot-proof step-by-step guide on how to remove the badge. I've been thinking of doing it, but am afraid that I'd damage the paint.

Is the badge simply affixed on the car with double-sided tape?

Thanks so much!!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 13 2004, 10:34 PM
Hi. Can someone pls assist me with an idiot-proof step-by-step guide on how to remove the badge. I've been thinking of doing it, but am afraid that I'd damage the paint.

Thanks so much!!
[snapback]44571[/snapback]
Well it is an adhesive. In the US there is the free option to have it badgeless also. While I happen to like it because of the contrasting colors against my silver grey, you can remove it by starting with a hair dryer to losen the adhesive. Then you use fishing line to wiggle it under the number. YOu can also use WD40 to help losen it a little. Just take your time and do not try to force it off. You do not want to peel the paint off (Unlikely but can happen)
Old 10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Step 1: Remove dental floss from bathroom cabinet

Yes, it's affixed with doublesided tape. Simply slide the dental floss back and forth behind the badge. Make sure you use the waxed type or you could scratch the paint. The badge will come off in one piece.

Next, spray some WD-40 or apply Goo Gone with a clean cloth, preferrably microfiber or 100% cotton to avoid scratching paint. Work the solution into the adhesive to remove. You might also try rubbing it with your fingers to loosen the adhesive. Make sure that the surface is wet to avoid scratching paint.

Next apply any additional solution to remove film from paint. Then apply a good wax to polish the surface and you should be all set.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 13 2004, 10:39 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Oct 13 2004, 10:34 PM']Hi. Can someone pls assist me with an idiot-proof step-by-step guide on how to remove the badge. I've been thinking of doing it, but am afraid that I'd damage the paint.

Thanks so much!!
[snapback]44571[/snapback]
Well it is an adhesive. In the US there is the free option to have it badgeless also. While I happen to like it because of the contrasting colors against my silver grey, you can remove it by starting with a hair dryer to losen the adhesive. Then you use fishing line to wiggle it under the number. YOu can also use WD40 to help losen it a little. Just take your time and do not try to force it off. You do not want to peel the paint off (Unlikely but can happen)
[snapback]44572[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks so much!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

No problem.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Senior Members

I'm kinda liking the clean look.
But then again I also like the clear tail lights.
mmm.....

Quick Reply: Removings Signage on car