DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the back of the front seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d SE. Silver, grey leather, auto.

Help... I've tried this but just can't get the backs off! I pulled very hard and I pushed very hard... and I mean so hard that I now have bruises and a cut on my hand. What am I doing wrong??? I'm a big guy (6'2 and strong and heavy) and was putting my entire force behind it. I thought the plastic was going to snap. Surely there must be a technique to this? I have fitted some screens in to the headrest but now need to run the cables!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Originally Posted by Satan1974' post='267605' date='Apr 11 2006, 06:12 AM
Help... I've tried this but just can't get the backs off! I pulled very hard and I pushed very hard... and I mean so hard that I now have bruises and a cut on my hand. What am I doing wrong??? I'm a big guy (6'2 and strong and heavy) and was putting my entire force behind it. I thought the plastic was going to snap. Surely there must be a technique to this? I have fitted some screens in to the headrest but now need to run the cables!!
Well Satan1974 ( same as my birthyear)

Push harder in direction 1, then 2 will be easy.

If you take a good look at the clip, you see that it needs to be pushed to the left.

Start with the right seat first, just how I explained
Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Members

Well... what can I say... I now have two badly sliced fingers and two broken seat backs.

I thought I just got unlucky on the driver side - one of the clips came out but the other one broke off. I had to glue it back on but now the seat back doesn't fit properly, there is a gap at the top right where it should be flush against the leather. It looks bad.

Still - I had already fitted the headrest screens and had to finish running the wires so tried the same thing on the other side. I pushed the plastic so hard sideways that the seat was creaking, but the the clip broke again, and in the process my fingers sliced across the broken metal and left me with two deep gouges. I did this last night and am struggling to type. Again, because one of the clips broke, I will have to glue it and I know it won't fit back right. But this will have to wait until my fingers have healed. The other option is to buy two brand new seat backs, which will cost $$$ / ???.

Anybody else reading this thread, be VERY CAREFUL when trying to remove the backs of the seats. The amount of force required means that either the clips will come out, or they will break. I'm sure there is a way to get to the clips with a screwdriver and "unclip them" rather than having to use such a brutal approach, it can't be right.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Originally Posted by Satan1974' post='272642' date='Apr 22 2006, 09:41 AM
Well... what can I say... I now have two badly sliced fingers and two broken seat backs.

I thought I just got unlucky on the driver side - one of the clips came out but the other one broke off. I had to glue it back on but now the seat back doesn't fit properly, there is a gap at the top right where it should be flush against the leather. It looks bad.

Still - I had already fitted the headrest screens and had to finish running the wires so tried the same thing on the other side. I pushed the plastic so hard sideways that the seat was creaking, but the the clip broke again, and in the process my fingers sliced across the broken metal and left me with two deep gouges. I did this last night and am struggling to type. Again, because one of the clips broke, I will have to glue it and I know it won't fit back right. But this will have to wait until my fingers have healed. The other option is to buy two brand new seat backs, which will cost $$$ / ???.

Anybody else reading this thread, be VERY CAREFUL when trying to remove the backs of the seats. The amount of force required means that either the clips will come out, or they will break. I'm sure there is a way to get to the clips with a screwdriver and "unclip them" rather than having to use such a brutal approach, it can't be right.
Its sad to hear that it went wrong.

I attached a videoclip to show how easy it is.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Satan1974' post='272642' date='Apr 22 2006, 09:41 AM

Its sad to hear that it went wrong.

I attached a videoclip to show how easy it is if you know how to do it.
Do you have comfort seats? maybe they have a different back?

rear.AVI
Old 04-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Hi Justin,

So 6.5" LCD screens will fit in sport seat headrest? What LCD screens brand and model did you get?

TIA!

Originally Posted by Justin' post='254834' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm installing 6.5" LCD screens in my headrests
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='272683' date='Apr 22 2006, 11:07 AM
Hi Justin,

So 6.5" LCD screens will fit in sport seat headrest? What LCD screens brand and model did you get?

TIA!

My lcd screens are 7" from Philips but you can't buy them because they are only sold to car manufacturers in large quantaties.

I got they trough my work, (I work for Philips) and last year I worked on the development of a Navigation system, these two screens were left-overs from that project. I paid 10 euro's for both displays

I do not know if they will fit in the sport-headrests.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Members

Thanks for the video clip - there is no way they would come off that easily... I just have normal seats.

Somebody said earlier on here that you have to "push really hard and pull really hard" - but you did it with hardly any effort at all. Perhaps there are different types of seat-clips, but the method you used in the video wouldnt work on mine

Ah well, not to worry, the fingers will heal, the seat backs will glue back on (kind of, ish...), and the kids well get to watch TV in the car.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Satan1974' post='272693' date='Apr 22 2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the video clip - there is no way they would come off that easily... I just have normal seats.

Somebody said earlier on here that you have to "push really hard and pull really hard" - but you did it with hardly any effort at all. Perhaps there are different types of seat-clips, but the method you used in the video wouldnt work on mine

Ah well, not to worry, the fingers will heal, the seat backs will glue back on (kind of, ish...), and the kids well get to watch TV in the car.
That was me who said that, butyou cant see it that good, but with my left hand, I'm pushing very hard towards my right hand in the video, and indeed you dont need to pull very hard.
How harder you push , the lesser you have to pull.