DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear Ventilation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by nell
Aren't the two rear drains just adjacent to the vents? They are suppose to have the valve and the drain line tight so water doesn't enter into the car. I just had mine cleared up and they told me they took apart the headliner to clear the inlet from the roof cassette and the first few inches of the drain line. I can't believe BMW has not been able to redesign the drain. You would think a larger diameter line alone with a straight run would allow all debris and water to wash the system out. At least it would be easily serviced with compressed air.
I need to know how to undo the headliner to access the rear sunroof drain. Then I could try to clean the drain pipe from sunroof and down to the rear wheel.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Originally Posted by mmitev
Louis, did you basically reverse the grill, putting the rubber seal on the outside?

Is this easy? I.e. may be it was mounted wrong in the factory?
Yes, I just reversed it. At beginning, the rubber seals are facing inside, toward the battery. It was very easy to remove at first. However, after I reversed it, it is like impossible to remove it. So I have only the pic of after reversing.

I just checked today, there is no more water leaking into the battery bank after a car wash. But I am still curious that what would happen to the water on the other side of the rubber seal. It doesn't seem there is an exit for water in the room in rear.

To me, the original placing of the rear ventilation doesn't do anything.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Originally Posted by lcc014
Rubber seal should face outside towards to the rear bumper. I had water leak into the both battery tray and the other side (driver side) too. Dealer tried many times to fix it - redid the rear window sealing. Finally, they fixed the water into battery tray but still have some water into the same area in driver side whenever raining for sometmies. I would like to know where the sunroof drain holes are in both front and rear. I want to make sure that these drain holes are not clogged up.

Thanks,
It seems to me that the drain holes on my car are not clogged up, but water still gets into the battery tray, that's why I reversed the rear vent. I did water test on the sunroof.

Or, do we have to unclog the four drain holes every month to make sure it is clean??? That's just silly...