DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear Ventilation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Rear ventilation, No.5 in pic below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=15&lang=enUS

This place is where water get into battery bank from sunroof leak. I am never able to figure out how this work on air circulation, so I put my rear ventilation piece this way:
Rear Ventilation?-img_20120628_122715.jpg

I am hoping water won't get through the window because the rubber sleeves are on the other side. What do you guys think?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Why don't you fix the sunroof leak? I know there are drain holes in the front of the SR tray and I thought there were some in the rear too but don't know for sure because I can't see them. If you pour some water in them you should see it come out and verify their clear. The front I think comes out somewhere just behind the front tiers and if they are two more in the rear I would think kinda in the same spot but the rear tires. Check your SR seal as well, its cheap and easy to replace and you will be shocked out much quieter the car will be! I can't tell about your vent piece, it looks kinda normal to me but water should be coming in through it though. I've heard the vent does several things. Obviously venting, but also is a relief when closing the trunk to allow the trapped air to escape making the trunk easier to close.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Why don't you fix the sunroof leak? I know there are drain holes in the front of the SR tray and I thought there were some in the rear too but don't know for sure because I can't see them. If you pour some water in them you should see it come out and verify their clear. The front I think comes out somewhere just behind the front tiers and if they are two more in the rear I would think kinda in the same spot but the rear tires. Check your SR seal as well, its cheap and easy to replace and you will be shocked out much quieter the car will be! I can't tell about your vent piece, it looks kinda normal to me but water should be coming in through it though. I've heard the vent does several things. Obviously venting, but also is a relief when closing the trunk to allow the trapped air to escape making the trunk easier to close.
You see, I have checked all the four SR drain holes, when I pour water on them, I saw normal amount of water coming out near my tires, (at least the amount seems normal to me) however, after the testing, I still see water got into the battery bank. Also, I have checked the seal, it seems okay right now. I do believe that there is more noise leaking inside than before.

With the original installation of the rear vent., air is not going to escape when closing the truck, because the rubber sleeves are on the inside. I guess with the original installation, the vent. allows air to going into the battery bank, (maybe for cooling function, I don't know), but prevent air or water from going out from the truck.

Is the kitchen drain cleaning liquid okay for clean the drain holes? I am thinking to pour a little of that into all the four holes, but some liquid may seem way too corrosive.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ah ok, that makes sense then, I'e never really noticed the position of the flaps. Be interesting to find out if your drain tube is intact, torn etc. I can't imagine when water goes through the tube how it gets into your battery compartment unless something is damaged or not connected.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Members

Once I asked one mechanic in the dealer the same question, he said it is normal for water to get in the battery part even when the drain holes are functional....sounds really silly...I know.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Members

Anyone else has thought? How was your vent installed?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

Louis, did you basically reverse the grill, putting the rubber seal on the outside?

Is this easy? I.e. may be it was mounted wrong in the factory?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Rubber seal should face outside towards to the rear bumper. I had water leak into the both battery tray and the other side (driver side) too. Dealer tried many times to fix it - redid the rear window sealing. Finally, they fixed the water into battery tray but still have some water into the same area in driver side whenever raining for sometmies. I would like to know where the sunroof drain holes are in both front and rear. I want to make sure that these drain holes are not clogged up.

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by mmitev
Louis, did you basically reverse the grill, putting the rubber seal on the outside?

Is this easy? I.e. may be it was mounted wrong in the factory?
The vent is difficult to undo once it is installed. There are 6 flat clips along the top and bottom of the vent to secure the vent in place and hold the vent tight against the metal opening to stop water going into the trunk area around the side of the vent. If one really wants to remove the vent, he/she is better to have a new one handy.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Aren't the two rear drains just adjacent to the vents? They are suppose to have the valve and the drain line tight so water doesn't enter into the car. I just had mine cleared up and they told me they took apart the headliner to clear the inlet from the roof cassette and the first few inches of the drain line. I can't believe BMW has not been able to redesign the drain. You would think a larger diameter line alone with a straight run would allow all debris and water to wash the system out. At least it would be easily serviced with compressed air.

Quick Reply: Rear Ventilation?