DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

rear foglight activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the rear fogs activated. No coding required. All you have to do is run a wire from position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness to position 33 on the LCM. [url="http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg/sp/SP0000025822.svg?m=e60"]

Need Euro headlight switch (Has a button for the rear fog light), some wire, and 2 pin connectors. BMW part # 61130006663. [url="http://realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=61130006663"]

Step 1: I soldered the pin connectors to some 18g wire I had laying around the house. Total length about 36 inches. rear foglight activation-spliced-connectors.jpg

Step 2: Remove the pedal trim panel in the driver's foot well. The trim panel has a light and speaker that need to be disconnected to free up the panel. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/52"]
There are 5 screws holding this panel in place. 4 screws are obvious; the 5th one is hidden behind a carpeted trim piece along the driver's side of the center console. Wedge a flat screwdriver between the plastic and carpeted trim piece and rotate the screwdriver to push the carpeted strip backwards to expose the screw. rear foglight activation-trimremoval.jpg

Step 3: Remove the original headlight switch by gently prying out and disconnect the wiring harness. This harness has to be disassembled by inserting a small flat screwdriver into this slot to expose the pin connectors. rear foglight activation-headlightharnessdisassembly.jpg

Step 4: Identify position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness and insert one end of your spliced wire connector. It is a perfect fit. rear foglight activation-pos9headlightharness.jpg

Step 5: Carefully route the other end of your spliced wire connector through dashboard to the LCM in the footwell.

Step 6: Remove the LCM. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/66"]

Step 7: Disassemble the LCM wiring harness. There is a blue and brown subassembly. Identify position 33 on the blue subassembly and insert the other end of your spliced wire connector. rear foglight activation-pos33lcmharness.jpg The connector I bought is not quite right; it has a little flange that you will have to fold over with a pair of pliers. It locks in securely despite this modification. Finally reassemble the LCM wiring harness and reinstall the LCM.

Step 8: Secure the wire to avoid rattles and reassemble the trim panel and install the Euro headlight switch after reassembling the wiring harness.

Step 9: Enjoy your results!!!
rear foglight activation-dashboard.jpg
rear foglight activation-rearfogon.jpg
The following users liked this post:
pavjayt (08-03-2022)
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Now that is what I am talking bout!!!

This is now back on top of my list of things to do this winter to the car. Can ya grab some shots of the whole rear end of the car with the fogs on please.

Off to ebay to find the switch as cheap as I can.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by jay8s
Now that is what I am talking bout!!!

This is now back on top of my list of things to do this winter to the car. Can ya grab some shots of the whole rear end of the car with the fogs on please.

Off to ebay to find the switch as cheap as I can.
Let us now if you had any luck finding the switch!!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Well done OP! ... there's nothin' beat the OEM retrofit like the OP did.

Can you also post up the pic of the replacement Euro headlight switch too ... tkx!

Alternatively ... due to the Euro headlight switch availability and/or cost you can do:

1) Hard wired pin #33 (rear fog) w/ pin #34 (front fog) together on the LCM plug so when you turn on the fog both front & rear lit up together. I've been using it this way for a long time as I only turn my fogs on during inclement weather.

2) Add you own switch to the alternative #1 above so you have more control for the rear fog in case you like to use the front fog independently.

... of course if you feel adventurous ... GL!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Well done OP! ... there's nothin' beat the OEM retrofit like the OP did.

Can you also post up the pic of the replacement Euro headlight switch too ... tkx!

Alternatively ... due to the Euro headlight switch availability and/or cost you can do:

1) Hard wired pin #33 (rear fog) w/ pin #34 (front fog) together on the LCM plug so when you turn on the fog both front & rear lit up together. I've been using it this way for a long time as I only turn my fogs on during inclement weather.

2) Add you own switch to the alternative #1 above so you have more control for the rear fog in case you like to use the front fog independently.

... of course if you feel adventurous ... GL!
Ooooo that is a nice alternative to the switch until I get one. It doesn't throw any errors?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
I like (1). Same for the E60 LCI and pre-LCI? Is this the LCM plug you are referring to (item 1)? Can you offer details on the actual method of connecting a jumper wire to pins 33 and 34?

From: BMW TIS - 61 35 285 Removing and installing (replacing) light module
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Members

Here's a link to a picture of the euro switch. They want $160.

http://euroactiveparts.com/bmw-oem-e...ontrol-switch/

I got mine from a scrap yard for 80euros when on vacation in Europe last summer. Could try ebay.de for a similar deal.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Hey Victor,

Yes that's the LCM module (upper left driver footrest) ... what you need is find a compatible wired plug to insert into slot #33 of the LCM blue plug (like on pic #7) then use some sort of wire tap-in to splice into wire that goes to pin #34 ... just make sure you do the tapping outside the white wire loom cover 'cuz not enough room inside it. When the time come you can either undo the wire tap to pin #34 and just extend the wire from pin #33 to the headlight switch or replace the tap w/ you own switch.

GL!

Originally Posted by vkhong
I like (1). Same for the E60 LCI and pre-LCI? Is this the LCM plug you are referring to (item 1)? Can you offer details on the actual method of connecting a jumper wire to pins 33 and 34?

From: BMW TIS - 61 35 285 Removing and installing (replacing) light module
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

OffT~VKhong another StLer are you by chance going to the STLBMWCCA cars and coffee the 17th?

OnT That was going to be my next question, is it best to tap inside or outside the big white loom. Looks like the car is having some minor surgery this weekend. I have all the parts I need.

As to the switch. I have contacted some junkyards in Sweden about some of their online sales. They want about 70 US to get a switch to me. I am going to see what I can do about getting more this way.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jkhatri
Here's a link to a picture of the euro switch. They want $160.

http://euroactiveparts.com/bmw-oem-e...ontrol-switch/

I got mine from a scrap yard for 80euros when on vacation in Europe last summer. Could try ebay.de for a similar deal.
That is an LCI switch. PreLCI needs the whole trim piece.

Quick Reply: rear foglight activation