DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC' post='820645' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:35 PM
No problem

just for closure, the ground was the issue. The torx bolt on the sunroof motor didn't seem to provide consistant ground, i changed the ground wire to one of the larger (harder to reach) bolts that go into the sunroof cassette, problem solved.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

I just followed the instructions in this thread, and I cannot get the V1 to power up. I can't tell you how many times I have squeezed the connector with pliers. You can probably see the plier marks on the connector in pic attached. Connector is connected to green/yellow wire. Ground is connected to screw that jksanford used.

Here's the testing I have done. I connected the V1 up to the cigarette lighter & it works just fine. Next, I swapped the cables on the adapter, one going to V1 and the other to the concealed display. Since that didn't change anything, I hooked the cables back as originally hooked up Main to V1 and Accessory to CD.

Here are a couple pics of the wiring. I would really appreciate any advice.

radar det-img_1541.jpg
radar det-img_1535.jpg
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

A few more testing items;
- changed the fuse to the connector
- changed the screw that the ground was connected from the one where jksanford used to the harder to reach larger bolt
- used the curly cable designed to go to the cigarette adapter from the connector to the V1 to make sure it wasn't a problem with the cable
None of these item worked.

Still looking for suggestions.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

ok had the same issue went nuts, take off the connector, take out the little metal piece inside the blue tap, yes it comes out and squeeze it a little bit. This will make the tap splice through the wire. Just squeezing the blue tap wont do it because the metal piece is too big and the wire to slim. Once you get it powered up, if your V1 has intemediate power or BUZZING once in a while ground it to another bolt or loosen or tighten it. Hope this helps
Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aresh' post='852080' date='Apr 19 2009, 07:24 PM
ok had the same issue went nuts, take off the connector, take out the little metal piece inside the blue tap, yes it comes out and squeeze it a little bit. This will make the tap splice through the wire. Just squeezing the blue tap wont do it because the metal piece is too big and the wire to slim. Once you get it powered up, if your V1 has intemediate power or BUZZING once in a while ground it to another bolt or loosen or tighten it. Hope this helps
aresh - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

That was it, and now it works wonderfully. Man, I just love this forum.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

hahah im glad i could help , that was a problem i had for DAYS and i tried everything lol
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aresh' post='852080' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:24 PM
I too had this problem, my solution was to use a box cutter to cut back the insulation, then put the blue tap on. This worked fine for me. Another tip for that hard to access frame screw used for the earth. Cut the end of your ring type earth wire connector so it becomes an open fork type connector. Then you only have to loosen the frame screw just enough to slide the connector under the screw head.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Spyglass' post='852934' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:41 PM
Another tip for that hard to access frame screw used for the earth. Cut the end of your ring type earth wire connector so it becomes an open fork type connector. Then you only have to loosen the frame screw just enough to slide the connector under the screw head.
Great Tip! I did the install today makes attaching the ground 1000% easier!!

As stated before the wire you are looking for is in the bundle coming from the rear view mirror, you'll need to cut some of the sticky wrap off the bundle to get to it.

Thanks for the great guide!

-Shane
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

BMW may have changed 2010 E60/61s wiring color codes for the rear view mirror bundle

OK so I go to install my Valentine One, just as I had in my 2006 (See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708 ).

All was going well until I unwrapped the wire bundle going to the "rear view mirror" (See: Paukend: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708&st=200 Post 223).

I could see NO Green/Yellow wire!

As best I can count, there are ten wires in that bundle as follows:
Blue ? Gray Line
Blue ? Yellow Line
Brown (2)
Dark Red ? Black Line
Green
Gray ? Yellow Circular Bands
Red ? Gray Stripe
Yellow
Yellow ? Purple Gray Line

Now what do I do?
  • I suspect that BMW may have changed the color coding on their wiring bundles in cars built starting in March (the 2010 model for the US).
  • I don't want to go poking holes in each wire to test for 12 volts ? electricity could leak all over the place.
  • Would there be a wiring chart available?
What did our intrepid pioneers, Don Juan, stream, et al, do?

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='867228' date='May 3 2009, 08:13 PM
BMW may have changed 2010 E60/61s wiring color codes for the rear view mirror bundle

OK so I go to install my Valentine One, just as I had in my 2006 (See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708 ).

All was going well until I unwrapped the wire bundle going to the "rear view mirror" (See: Paukend: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708&st=200 Post 223).

I could see NO Green/Yellow wire!

As best I can count, there are ten wires in that bundle as follows:
Blue ? Gray Line
Blue ? Yellow Line
Brown (2)
Dark Red ? Black Line
Green
Gray ? Yellow Circular Bands
Red ? Gray Stripe
Yellow
Yellow ? Purple Gray Line

Now what do I do?
  • I suspect that BMW may have changed the color coding on their wiring bundles in cars built starting in March (the 2010 model for the US).
  • I don't want to go poking holes in each wire to test for 12 volts ? electricity could leak all over the place.
  • Would there be a wiring chart available?
What did our intrepid pioneers, Don Juan, stream, et al, do?

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice.
When I've had to figure out which wire to use without a diagram, I've used a voltmeter and a safety pin. Just push the safety pin into each prospective candidate wire and measure voltage with and without the ignition on. The tiny hole will close up when you pull the pin out and rub it a bit. If you are looking for a specific circuit, once you find what you think is the correct one, you can pull the fuse for that circuit and measure for no voltage to ensure you have the right one. Kind of tedious, but it will work when you have no other accurate means.

Quick Reply: radar det