DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS530xi' post='392986' date='Feb 18 2007, 05:06 PM
Ignition-on hot.
Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm getting to the right wire then. There is a bundle seemingly going to the windshield, and another going to the sunroof controls. There is a green/yellow wire in each, I think. Which one is right?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by simplemind' post='393008' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm getting to the right wire then. There is a bundle seemingly going to the windshield, and another going to the sunroof controls. There is a green/yellow wire in each, I think. Which one is right?
You want the one that goes towards the windshield, it's the bundle for the rain sensor.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RichS530xi' post='393022' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:24 PM
You want the one that goes towards the windshield, it's the bundle for the rain sensor.
Good! Did you use one of those clip on wire taps shown in the DYI photo's? The one I have with my hardwire kit was for much bigger wire, and I checked with Rat Shack today and they didn't have anything like that.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by simplemind' post='393023' date='Feb 18 2007, 09:32 PM
Good! Did you use one of those clip on wire taps shown in the DYI photo's? The one I have with my hardwire kit was for much bigger wire, and I checked with Rat Shack today and they didn't have anything like that.
I used the one that came with the V1 direct hardwire kit, just squeeze it real hard.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Members

Hey Guys, I had a chance to hardwire my valentine 1 a couple weeks ago. The DIY instruction were awsome and great pics. The only problem that i found and now as i look on this forum others seem to have is that the wires that were said to be live are possibly not nymore in the 07 models. (PLS dont go crazy if im wrong) After checkin EACH wire carefully for its current i found that their is not enough power in ANY of them to run my radar dec properly. I was able to have it wired straight to a bunch of wires under my steering wheel. Simple Fix.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Vic - I have installed the ZR3 in my 550i. It was no fuss and can be done in about an hour now that I know what I am doing. I live in MD also.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I posted details and pictures of my installation under the DIY. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

I just finished the "hard wired" install of my Valentine One. The pics from Don Juan on the first page of this thread were extremely helpful. The only problems that I had were finding the green and yellow "hot" wire, and getting the blue clamp to work. For those of you searching for the elusive green and yellow wire, it's in the bundle coming from the rear view mirror / rain sensor. You may have to use a flashlight and do a little digging to find it. The blue clamp (to tap the hot wire) provided by Valentine is designed for a heavier gauge wire than BMW uses. It took a little extra muscle and jiggling to get it to work.

I used one of the Torx screws on the sunroof motor as my ground. According to my multimeter, it's as good a ground as anything else in there.

Good luck with your installs. Mine works perfectly. I'm going to hit the highway for some 120mph action.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

I forgot to add a couple photos.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Don Juan and all other contributors,

Thanks for all the great details regarding V1 installation. I had intended to do this a long time ago but kept putting it off until last week when I had a close call with an MC cop working radar on my way to work. He nailed a guy behind me who was going just a bit faster than me. About a half mile earlier, I had inadvertenly gone more than 20 MPH over the limit, but purely by luck I caught myself and slowed down before entering the trap. So I ordered a V1 last week and installed it tonight in only 20 minutes thanks to all the great info in this thread.

Updated: I've never used a radar detector before, so this a.m. was my first drive with one. I don't know how I got along without one, especially one that tells me where the threats and falses are. I can see now why the arrows are so important. I'm hooked.

Quick Reply: radar det