DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Pre-LCI key battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been getting several PMs about how I fixed the dead battery in my diamond key, so I figured I'd post my responce here so anyone can view.

I actually did this on my old e46 since my e60 key is fine, but they are all the same so the pics are still relevant. For some it might be worth just programming a new key, but for $20 I figured I'd give it a shot. Had nothing to lose but time.

Opening up the key and swapping the battery was really pretty simple. I consider myself terrible at soldering and I was able to pull it off.

Find a used diamond key off of eBay for cheap (mine was like $20) and practice opening that one up before you mess up your working key. I used an exacto knife and slowly cut the plastic where the two pieces were bonded together. Then when it's all apart, this is what you will see:

Pull out the circuit board and look at the two points I circled below. This is where you will put the soldering gun/iron and liquify the solder. They are fairly large, so it's pretty difficult to mess it up. The mounting points of the battery should fall right out. Once you have the battery and contacts out, it's time to repeat the same process with your current key and put the good battery in your key.

Really, the hardest part was sealing up the key again. Whatever they used to bond the key originally was pretty tough. I spent a good deal of time with a dremel filing down the sealing points of the key so it was flush again. Once I was happy with how the key sat back together, I superglued the two halves back together.

It's probably not as 'waterproof' as the original key, but I don't keep my keys anywhere near water anyways. Other than that, I've had no issues with it at all.

Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Members

Wow that sound like a great ideal. I have and E60 key with a battery that has die I already spent the big buck on a new key but I wonder would the same method work with an e60 key it a few bucks and I'm good at soldering so Ill give it a try and let you know how it turns out thank you for the information.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Is the battery a generic button battery that you can buy @ local battery store?

I heard that key is charged when you insert the key into the key hole which means the battery is chargeable.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kduff70
but I wonder would the same method work with an e60 key it a few bucks and I'm good at soldering so Ill give it a try and let you know how it turns out thank you for the information.
If your E60 key is the diamond style, it will work just fine. I've never dissected the square 'key' so I'm not sure what they look like inside.

Originally Posted by salaki
Is the battery a generic button battery that you can buy @ local battery store?

I heard that key is charged when you insert the key into the key hole which means the battery is chargeable.
Correct. The battery is rechargable, so I don't think a regular watch battery would work. I bought a key from a newer car off of eBay. It was already cut and programmed for a car, so the rest was useless to me. I just wanted a replacement rechargable battery.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
If your E60 key is the diamond style, it will work just fine. I've never dissected the square 'key' so I'm not sure what they look like inside.

Correct. The battery is rechargable, so I don't think a regular watch battery would work. I bought a key from a newer car off of eBay. It was already cut and programmed for a car, so the rest was useless to me. I just wanted a replacement rechargable battery.

Im sure its been posted before but this may help others looking for the battery

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=key+battery