DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='468670' date='Sep 12 2007, 05:09 AM
PROGMAN updated to 26.2, dealer enabled Mp3 but head unit says CANNOT READ MEDIUM when MP3 cd is inserted to the single CD Slot

However sent back the vehicle to install the Ipod retrofit, I am guessing if Head unit cannot play Mp3 if retrofit is done can it read the MP3 from the ipod or it will still not work because my vehicle is pre 03/05?
You may have been too quick to judge although I don't know for sure. THe dealer MUST do a MP3 retrofit. So although they told you it would play MP3s after the upgrade you need to be sure they actually performed the "MP3 Retrofit". It is not just simply installing the latest PROGMAN.

Alternately, you may have had the retrofit, BUT your CD of MP3s was not good for some reason. CD itself or the burn process. And finally, the CD drive itseslf could have been bad. Try your CD in another BMW (new one).

And to answer your MP3 on iPod question. If the iPod works as it should you can play any format that fits on the iPod.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

so the iPod module do not need the newer version of the head unit to play music....well I will know tomorrow for sure. Lets see what happens.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='468671' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:09 AM
PROGMAN updated to 26.2, dealer enabled Mp3 but head unit says CANNOT READ MEDIUM when MP3 cd is inserted to the single CD Slot

However sent back the vehicle to install the Ipod retrofit, I am guessing if Head unit cannot play Mp3 if retrofit is done can it read the MP3 from the ipod or it will still not work because my vehicle is pre 03/05?
Mine is a pre 03/05 (it's 09/04).....but after an MP3 Retrofit I was able to play MP3 CD's (I have Progman 26.1). I think that there may be a CD burn problem like what program you used and what speed, CD quality etc.......I just used iTunes at the slowest burning speed.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

rodybmw playing MP3 on vehicles with NAV is never an Issue. Its always with the non nav radio units which has all the problems or confusion both from the clients side and SA side.....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='468769' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:38 AM
rodybmw playing MP3 on vehicles with NAV is never an Issue. Its always with the non nav radio units which has all the problems or confusion both from the clients side and SA side.....
I can't keep track of all the different requirements any more ......but I thought that if you had Professional Radio it didn't matter whether you had NAV of not. I guess I don't remember all the details.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

the dealer took 2 hours just to open the dash, now will do the plugging in, when i did DIY, it took me 20 mins to plug the darn adapter. Still waiting for the retrofit to be done. Lets see...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

I do not know if I should create a new topic or just say it here.

I own a 02/05 Production E60 530i . It is a EU Spec Vehicle and I am using it In Bangladesh. My Vehicle has Business Radio EU version pre 03/05 and had 6CD Changer. I got the ipod adapter about 8 months ago and tried to install it and it failed. Recently I sent the vehicle for a Mp3 retrofit with a software update. The SW was updated to 26.2 but the Head Unit could NOT play Mp3. So I sent back the vehicle again and with the ipod, most thinking to take a chance. BMW Bangladesh service center guy said he will do it no problem but cannot say for sure it will work or not. He also told me my head unit is RADIO BUSINESS not professional. So he did the retrofit, and with a big surprise IT WORKS!!! It still cant play Mp3 from the single cd dash but the ipod works. So I think it clears all the confusions for PRE 03/05 build NO NAV BUSINESS RADIO vehicle owners, after the newest SW update the iPod retrofit WILL work.

Thanks for all the support.
Attached Thumbnails New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions.  Can-13092007145.jpg   New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions.  Can-13092007188.jpg   New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions.  Can-12092007143.jpg  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Members

I've just been reading through this thread to see if it can help me with my issue.

I had a Sept 04 registered 530d which I got upgraded to the latest CIP (a couple of months ago) and installed the Ipod connection myself, everything worked great.

Recently I sold the car and bought a Dec 04 registered 545i, yesterday I got the software upgraded to the latest version and tried to fit the Ipod connection and it doesn't work. When I connect my Ipod I get the BMW logo and OK to disconnect but CD1, CD2, CD3 etc are greyed out.

Both cars have prof Nav and the only difference is that my new car has logic 7 rather than the Hi-Fi upgrade.

I've checked with BMW parts using the chassis number of my new car and they tell me the part I have is the correct part for the car so I'm stumped

Any ideas????

Only thing I can think of is that I don't have MP3 retrofit enabled (I can't play MP3's burnt onto a CD/DVD in the dash) does anyone know if that is needed for the Ipod connection?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

the newest progmans need iPod retrofit enabled. Say if you had a previously DIY installed iPod Most and it worked great, but after you do the cip update you have to let the SA know that you did not enable retrofit before , so he will do a fresh coding in order to enable the iPod. One user installed the ipod and then went for an update and did not mention he had an active CD Changer before so the new CIP could not enable the ipod so he had to send it back again paying an extra $100
. so I would send the car back to the dealer and ask to do coding for the ipod most. It will surely work.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Members

Thats exactly what it was, didn't realise you needed the MP3 retrofit beforehand but thinking about it now it makes perfect sense.

Guess I should have read this thread a bit more carefully as well

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can