DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

I was able to install my kit over the weekend thanks to all the DIYs. I had a harder time installing my pedals than doing this swap. Although the BMW logo appears on the iPod when connected, iDrive can't recognize it. So for all of you with an E60 manufactured on 9/04, even with the CD changer, will still have to get the damn thing coded. I ain't looking forward to how much the stealers will charge me for the work.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Members

A friend of mine has an '04 545i and decided he wanted ipod functionality thru the BMW MOST adapter. So we bought the part from the local dealership with the intention of installing it ourselves, then taking the car to the dealership to have it coded as many others here on the site have done. Installation was indeed very easy and took around 30 minutes total. Now his car already had the 6 disc glovebox mounted changer, so we were hoping that no coding would be required. Well, it didn't work-so an appointment was made at the dealership for coding/retrofit.

He brought the car to the dealer at 8AM yesterday morning (8/8/07) and it is still sitting there as of 10AM 8/9/07. Supposedly, during the coding update, a couple of the systems in the car 'crashed' (the radio being one) and now they can't get the radio to operate properly. They removed the battery cables overnight to perform a full reset so they could try again this morning, but still no go. They now have a call into a BMW engineer to figure out what might have happened. They are thinking the entire radio module will need replacing.

But in the meantime, the service advisor and the master tech working on the car are pissed because they 'wasted all day trying to get it to work'. Now they are wanting to blame us for the problems, saying that the installation instructions clearly state to "Bring the vehicles software up to the current I-level BEFORE installing the iPod adapter". So it has become a mess-the service department is pissed at the car and me, my friend is pissed at the dealership, and hell if I know what to do. Has anyone else had a similar problem or issue like this?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Eric Giles' post='457011' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:06 AM
A friend of mine has an '04 545i and decided he wanted ipod functionality thru the BMW MOST adapter. So we bought the part from the local dealership with the intention of installing it ourselves, then taking the car to the dealership to have it coded as many others here on the site have done. Installation was indeed very easy and took around 30 minutes total. Now his car already had the 6 disc glovebox mounted changer, so we were hoping that no coding would be required. Well, it didn't work-so an appointment was made at the dealership for coding/retrofit.

He brought the car to the dealer at 8AM yesterday morning (8/8/07) and it is still sitting there as of 10AM 8/9/07. Supposedly, during the coding update, a couple of the systems in the car 'crashed' (the radio being one) and now they can't get the radio to operate properly. They removed the battery cables overnight to perform a full reset so they could try again this morning, but still no go. They now have a call into a BMW engineer to figure out what might have happened. They are thinking the entire radio module will need replacing.

But in the meantime, the service advisor and the master tech working on the car are pissed because they 'wasted all day trying to get it to work'. Now they are wanting to blame us for the problems, saying that the installation instructions clearly state to "Bring the vehicles software up to the current I-level BEFORE installing the iPod adapter". So it has become a mess-the service department is pissed at the car and me, my friend is pissed at the dealership, and hell if I know what to do. Has anyone else had a similar problem or issue like this?

I'm in the same purgatory. Had my car in for some other stuff and asked them to upgrade to 26.01. I told them that I'd rerofitted the iPod in the fall myself, and never had them code it. Now they're having problems with the CIP upgrade. Amp and some other module is bombing out. They're saying I should have had them install the retrofit and that the car needed to be programmed NO MATTER WHAT after the retrofit, even if everything seemed to work ok. Now I'm in wait and see mode...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

For those who have or are thinking about doing the iPod retrofit themselves, please see:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43371
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Members

Thought I would give an update to the situation-the dealership contacted a BMW engineer via e-mail to get his thoughts on the problem. He gave them two things to try, and one of them worked. I don't know what they did as I was not there, but a day and a half later i-Drive was back up and running and the iPod was recognized. They charged my friend right at 6 hours of labor, for a total of $580 after tax. Needless to say, this has become one expensive iPod installation!

But this needs to be stated-and anyone that is going to do the iPod installation themselves need to heed this warning-the iPod installations specifically say at the start that 'The vehicle must be brought up to the current software I-level before the iPod accessory is connected. This is VERY important, and is what is causing some people problems during programming. If we had followed the instructions, we could have avoided a very expensive lesson.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by lokoloko' post='455793' date='Aug 6 2007, 10:49 AM
I was able to install my kit over the weekend thanks to all the DIYs. I had a harder time installing my pedals than doing this swap. Although the BMW logo appears on the iPod when connected, iDrive can't recognize it. So for all of you with an E60 manufactured on 9/04, even with the CD changer, will still have to get the damn thing coded. I ain't looking forward to how much the stealers will charge me for the work.
The key to your situation was to have MP3 already coded first before you started install. Then it should have been plug and play.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='457585' date='Aug 10 2007, 06:09 PM
The key to your situation was to have MP3 already coded first before you started install. Then it should have been plug and play.
Thanks, but oh well. Brought it in yesterday, said it would take six hours. Still ain't got it back yet. They gave me an estimate of $245.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

ok over lot of confusions over the last six months, i sent my car today (03/05 production) to be coded with the latest firmware update, will get it back tomorrow. I have professional radio and have 6CD changer. SA at the dealership said it will play Mp3 after the update. So will this mean when it comes back i can just swap the changer and plug the adapter or it will need to be coded in order to recognize the ipod adapter?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

PROGMAN updated to 26.2, dealer enabled Mp3 but head unit says CANNOT READ MEDIUM when MP3 cd is inserted to the single CD Slot

However sent back the vehicle to install the Ipod retrofit, I am guessing if Head unit cannot play Mp3 if retrofit is done can it read the MP3 from the ipod or it will still not work because my vehicle is pre 03/05?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Members

PROGMAN updated to 26.2, dealer enabled Mp3 but head unit says CANNOT READ MEDIUM when MP3 cd is inserted to the single CD Slot

However sent back the vehicle to install the Ipod retrofit, I am guessing if Head unit cannot play Mp3 if retrofit is done can it read the MP3 from the ipod or it will still not work because my vehicle is pre 03/05?

Quick Reply: New Ipod MOST Interface Install instructions. Can