DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

NCSExpert Code Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
BlooD,

No, unfortunately not on pre-LCI only M5 got it right from start of production ... folding mirror only available starting from LCI model on std 5-series.

I swapped into M5 mirror w/ all functions so I'll inquiry you for enabling auto-dim & folding when my cable arrive

--RR.
In the UK we had SA430 auto dim/ folding mirrors right from the start of production.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by kreveta
Interesting. However there is some weirdness in GPS speed calculation.

When you turn on the info display in the Navigation info menus, the GPS speed is exactly the same as the speed on your speedometer and your HUD (=incorrect). However if you look at a 3rd party GPS (such as in your phone), then you get a correct measurement with about -5 to -8%.

And so I think the "GPS speed" in Navigation info menu is not true - it just reads the speedometer, doesn't calculate real speed according to satellites.

By enabling this "true" speed in NCS Expert, do you get correct reading in a digital cluster (which is another NCS option) + correct GPS speed in Navigation menus? Does it also affect the HUD reading? I'd prefer to display the accurate true speed everywhere.

It only changes the speed in the cluster display. The onboard NAV, HUD, etc will still show the incorrect speed.
I recall seeing something about an analog correction but I don't recall if it was with our model and if it did anything.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Jim, I will check that out. Coding digital speedo in cluster and coding an option to display true GPS speed in it might be very useful at times - to compare the difference (or argue with cops )
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yeah you guys are lucky! AFAIK here pre-LCI SA430 option didn't even include the folding motor and driver door button at all ..

Originally Posted by BLooD
In the UK we had SA430 auto dim/ folding mirrors right from the start of production.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
It only changes the speed in the cluster display. The onboard NAV, HUD, etc will still show the incorrect speed.
I recall seeing something about an analog correction but I don't recall if it was with our model and if it did anything.
Here's the analogue one:

KOMBI
BC_V_KORREKTUR
aktiv

will change the rest of the speed settings (incl HUD) to true. BTW, true speed here is not derived from the GPS in our cars - it's simply extracted and calculated from wheel rotation (taking all formula elements into account) Assuming your wheel/tyre setup is within approved specs for your car the uncorrected speed is (unsuprisingly) quite accurate. Using a 3rd party GPS nav I noticed a max of 1km/h difference.

I personally have the digital to true (correction nicht_aktiv) and the rest standard. Converting everything to true will not allow for any buffer - you'll get complacent or forget one day that your always on true speed and get caught out...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Andy, that makes sense, thanks! Good idea with your configuration.

However - if set to default (nicht_aktiv), it still reads the true speed (what/how else it could measure?), it just adds up some ±6km/h as a bonus for drivers to not get caught.

Right?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Andy, that makes sense, thanks! Good idea with your configuration.

However - if set to default (nicht_aktiv), it still reads the true speed (what/how else it could measure?), it just adds up some ±6km/h as a bonus for drivers to not get caught.

Right?
yeah, correct mate - sorry for confusion - I just copy/pasted the parameter.

If you want true speed, then you change to nicht_aktiv ie. no correction aplied. (Default is of course aktiv)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

No, you misunderstood me in my previous post.

I was basically trying to say that in any setting, it still reads the wheel rotation (the true speed). The difference is that the coding from factory adds about ±5kmh or mph to that true calculation to save drivers from getting caught too often.

By tweaking these values in NCS expert you're removing that ±5kmh (mph) "safety bonus" and reverting back to original true reading. You're not changing the system of measurement from one to another. There is no other way to measure the speed correctly AFAIK, besides GPS.

Right?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributors

No, you misunderstood me in my previous post.

I was basically trying to say that in any setting, it still reads the wheel rotation (the true speed). The difference is that the coding from factory adds about ±5kmh or mph to that true calculation to save drivers from getting caught too often.

By tweaking these values in NCS expert you're removing that ±5kmh (mph) "safety bonus" and reverting back to original true reading. You're not changing the system of measurement from one to another. There is no other way to measure the speed correctly AFAIK, besides GPS.

Right?
I admit I wasn't paying attention
cheers mate - got it !
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Blood:

have you please tested ASP_MEMORY? What's the default value?

If nicht_aktiv, then it's not related to key fob profile mirror memory (all models come from the factory with default on - as that's the purpose of profiles) . I suspect that it may be the curb folding mirror memory.

Quick Reply: NCSExpert Code Mods