DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Laser Jammer Install Locations

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper
Thumbs up

Hello everyone.

Does anyone have experience they wouldn't mind sharing regarding placement of front laser jammers on the E60?

I've got a 545 and a dual transponder Lidatek LE-30 kit. I've run all the wiring but decided to mount the transponders last. Problem is that I'm stumped on where to mount them.

Ideally, I'd like to provide good protection for the front plate (my state requires one) and also both headlights.

It seems to me the logical choices are recessed slightly into the grille besides the front plate or a few inches further away from the plate, next to the air dams for the brakes.

Problem with the former is it means mounting the transponders each about 9" from center of the car or 18" apart. Problem with the second option is the transponders would be at least 24" apart - this is thanks to a vertical body color part of the front bumper that is in the spot that would prolly be ideal.

A third (and least desirable location from a time & effort stand point) would be to remove the front bumper and mount each LE-30 inside the bumper, with the edge of each LE-30 flush. Big issue there is that my car's color is not black!

I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who has experimented with mounting locations and who has already real-world tested their ideas.

Also, a picture (or URL) is worth a thousand words, so please post some pics if you've had success with this issue.

Thanks!!!

RR
Old 03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome Road Runner !
Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, road runner !
Old 03-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:
Thumbs up

Yeah!

I am in the same boat, If anyone has a link or monologue, please step forward!

Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Road Runner !
Old 03-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Some additional info...

I have chatted with Andrew @ Lidatek regarding this issue. Although he has not seen the front of the E60, he recommended that with a 2 LE-30 install that the transponders be placed no more than 24" apart.

The problem is that on a stock E60 bumper - provided one does not perform any "bumper surgery" and implant the transponders so they are flush with the front exterior (note: I'm still considering this) - there are two choices from what I've been able to ascertain.

Option #1 is to place the transponders 9" off center (each) or approx. 18" apart. This puts them about 3-4" from either side of the license plate, recessed into the air duct behind the license plate cover.

Option #2 is to place the transponders 12"-13" off center (each) or approx. 24-26" apart by placing them in the innermost portion of the air dam on either side which cools the brakes. The added complication with this approach is that the E60 bumper curves inward (from center to outer edge), making this location more difficult to get the transponders pointing forward properly.

Andrew's advice to me (thus far) is to mount them in the 9" off-center position. This makes sense to me as a short range LIDAR beam might only be 18" or so wide. If you should be unlucky enough to get zapped by an occifer who manages to aim square at the center of your front license plate, your transponders might not pick up the initial assault if they are further apart (i.e. 12 or 13" off center).

I am still on the fence though. I've read some great stories of saves on this board as well as RoadFly and Bimmerfest. But I have yet to see any pics other than E39's.

Doesn't anyone who's installed the LE-30 on a E60 own a digital camera???

On another note, I searched a long time trying to find into on the infamous rear parcel shelf V1 install. Well, I could never find any pics or detailed info (the links were always broken of the few that I did find), so a few weekends ago I got adverterous and - thanks to some local BMW tech help - figured it out.

I will gladly post pics and detailed instructions on the rear shelf V1 install if anyone is interested. It is much easier than I would have expected and I would strongly encourage anyone who is considering this to try it themselves versus shelling out $800+ for someone else to do it for you.

You can learn from my mistakes and that will save you a few hours!

Let me know if anyone is interested in a V1 rear parcel shelf how-to guide with detailed pics.

RR
Old 03-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

There are a couple of us who got the kits in from the group buy, but I don't think anyone has had a chance to install yet. I was hoping a couple of us in So Cal could get together some weekend, and do a group install.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Yes! Please post V1 rear parcel shelf how-to guide with detailed pics. TIA!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Ok, will do. I need to resurrect the hard drive on my network that contains the pics (the file server had a bad hair day last week).

I should be able to post some info over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Laser Jammer Install Locations