DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Laser jammer install

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='582608' date='May 17 2008, 01:20 PM
Still wondering if these devices work in Europe
Yes, they do. However, it's vital that you obtain a device which is designed to work in your country or region.

Don't believe the marketing BS from some device manufacturers that their device "works on all laser guns." That is completely untrue. It's not physically possible as some LIDAR guns use the same pulse frequency, yet have slightly different pulse patterns.

As an analogy, think of two radio stations operating on the same wavelength - one broadcasting in Italian and one in English. Now imagine that your radio can only receive Italian or English at any one time - but not both - and of course it can only receive or tune into one station at a time. Also imagine that if you tune the radio to the desired station, and the station is broadcasting in a language which the radio cannot receive, you hear nothing and the radio has no way to tell you that it's not receiving something. It just ignores the language which it is not programmed to receive.

So, in my analogy, if you receive the wrong radio, you never know that the given station exists - because your radio is not tuned to that language on that frequency.

It's a similar situation with regard to LIDAR guns. If your jamming device is not "tuned" to the right LIDAR guns used in your area, you're screwed. It will never see them, never alter to them, etc.

Anyway, point is that I would suggest conducting some research. First question is to find out which LIDAR guns are used in your country. Next step is to contact the company for any jammer product you are interested in and ask them if they have a product suitable for your country. Then ask them which LIDAR guns it supports. Compare that list with yours. Make sure your jammer is going to "see" any threat which you might encounter. If not, don't waste your money.

Incidentally, this is a major point which separates out the jammer devices / companies. For instance, my LPP is country specific. They have different variations for different parts of the world. Since I live in the U.S., I bought a U.S. version of LPP. But I know that I would be doing a disservice to sell it to say someone in another country/region.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='583068' date='May 18 2008, 01:11 PM
Hope this helps.

It helps, thanks a lot!

So I have to find a policeman and ask him to show me the device they use to take the speed.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='583141' date='May 18 2008, 12:14 PM
It helps, thanks a lot!

So I have to find a policeman and ask him to show me the device they use to take the speed.
That is one option. I find cops generally like to talk about the equipment they are using, when they think someone is really interested.

Also, this link might help: http://speed.g-zona.hr/RuE.htm
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

are they devices illegal??? I'm assuming they are... I live in California, and it seems like everything is illegal here!

What is the fine if you get caught with one these things?? What if a cop who uses a Lidar gunon you decides to pull you over just because his gun doesn't work on your car, and sees the device??

I'd love to get one of these, but am worried about a serious fine...

My Brother in Law is an police officer, (and also a new BMW owner and forum member ) So he's looking into this for me and i'll be sure to update you on what he finds out.......
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Yep - illegal in California: http://www.guysoflidar.com/californi...mmer-laws.html
Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo' post='583681' date='May 19 2008, 01:01 PM
are they devices illegal??? I'm assuming they are... I live in California, and it seems like everything is illegal here!

What is the fine if you get caught with one these things?? What if a cop who uses a Lidar gunon you decides to pull you over just because his gun doesn't work on your car, and sees the device??

I'd love to get one of these, but am worried about a serious fine...
CA Vehicle Code Section 28150. Unless it's changed since I ran a query last year, <4 devices = infraction; 4+ devices = misdemeanor. That being said, I don't know what the fines are.

If you can find out, consider what the fines are for speeding + insurance + points on your license. 28150 is an equipment violation, not a moving violation. Do the math.

Besides, that is why I recommend using a laser parking sensor (e.g. Laser Pro Park / LPP) and not a jammer.

I also like the LPP because it's very discreet (i.e. small and almost unnoticeable).

In spite of what the code says, there are a number of devices on the market which can cause interference with LIDAR guns - others include (for example) the laser cruise control devices in some Toyota/Lexus and Infiniti vehicles. They all use the same wavelength infra-red. You think anyone is going to prosecute Toyota for that? Obviously not. Obviously Toyota is not trying to make cruise controls that interfere with laser speed guns. BTW, before you get any ideas, the effect is much less pronounced than that of an active laser jammer. And as the LIDAR guns get more sophisticated, this may become less of a problem.

Regarding not getting a reading, that doesn't mean anything. If a cop pulled over every car they could not get a reading on, they would be doing that all day long and not pulling over anyone actually speeding. I have run radar and LIDAR. Neither are fool-proof. The public perception that they are is a convenience for traffic officers, but the reality is far from it. Now, don't get me wrong because it is rare, but it happens enough that a cop is generally going to dismiss the experience.

As an example of hard-to-read vehicles, take a black car with a low profile and no front plate and you will often have a hard time getting a reading except at very close short range. For instance, the C4 Corvettes are difficult to get a reading on period - with radar or LIDAR. It's a combination of things... low profile, plus their radiator is tilted at a 45 degree angle, which reflects radar waves at an odd angle, bouncing them off the road and back into the sky.

It is not a crime to not get a reading on somebody's car. Unusual, maybe. But not impossible, not terribly uncommon (even on cars with no jammer), and again not a crime in and of itself. So, what would you do if you were a cop? Pull over that motorist and spend 15 minutes trying to see if there is something there when maybe there is and maybe not, and even if there is then it's a small fine? Or spend your time nabbing someone who you KNOW is speeding, it means a bigger fine, and much less likely it will be contested in court???

You have to weigh all of that plus the fact that most officers have big egos. They don't want to look or feel stupid - especially in front of a judge, so most of them go for the sure thing. Such as they guy behind you or next to you who they will get a reading on. If you are side-by-side on the highway with someone... you have a jammer, the other guy does not.... You both get targetted. Who will get pulled over? The other guy every time. Why? It's a sure thing. The cop has a reading.

Basic human nature will win out 99% of the time. Besides, 99% of cops also think these things do not work.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them. If a motorist slows down, then the cop's mission is accomplished. It doesn't matter whether you are physically pulled over and warned or ticketed, or if you see that someone else is pulled over, or just see the cop sitting there doing radar/laser. If you slow down, the objective is achieved.

In fact, a LEO sitting on the side of the road and doing nothing actually has a greater impact than when someone is pulled over. As long as all the motorists see the LEO, they all slow down. When you have a motorist pulled over, you may get some idiot who blows past the LEO, thinking the cop is busy. Sometimes. Of course, sometimes they are waiting for that dummy to come along.

Anyway, I personally liken jammers to modern day radar detectors. The radar detector is useless against LIDAR. No warning. Don't believe the BS the RD manufacturer's put out. They are useless. These days you need a radar detector AND a laser jammer. And my point is they still do the same thing... give you time to slow down. They don't make you invulnerable or invisible.

No matter where or how you drive, you have to weigh the odds.

BTW, good for your bro that he has a Bimmer and has joined the forum. Maybe now he will appreciate how well these cars handle and bear that in mind the next time he pulls someone over driving one!! Ha ha.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='583611' date='May 19 2008, 04:33 PM
That is one option. I find cops generally like to talk about the equipment they are using, when they think someone is really interested.

Also, this link might help: http://speed.g-zona.hr/RuE.htm

So now the only thing to do is writing to all manufacterer asking them if their devices 'receive'

15) Italy
X-band 10.525
K-band 24.15
Ka-band 34.36

?

Can you give me, here or by a PM, some names of manufacturer ?

Thanks, bye!

Edit :

So this one :
http://www.1stradardetectors.com/prowler-r...cifications.php
has 2 of 3 frequences used here ?

And what about the blinder M45 ?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='584599' date='May 20 2008, 04:12 PM
So now the only thing to do is writing to all manufacterer asking them if their devices 'receive'

15) Italy
X-band 10.525
K-band 24.15
Ka-band 34.36

?

Can you give me, here or by a PM, some names of manufacturer ?

Thanks, bye!

Edit :

So this one :
http://www.1stradardetectors.com/prowler-r...cifications.php
has 2 of 3 frequences used here ?

And what about the blinder M45 ?
Those are all radar frequencies above. If that is all you have to worry about, then you have no need for a laser defense.

The question would then become... are radar detectors illegal to operate in Italy? If so, then you ideally should get a Bel STi, which is the only RD model which cannot be detected by radar detector detectors.

Blinder? Well, first off I have heard from several sources that the M25/M45 series is inferior when compared to the older Blinder M20/M40. Second, they are LED diode based and not laser diode based - meaning larger heads that are less powerful than the laser diode models.

And again... are laser jammers illegal in Italy? If so, then your only real choice is LPP (Laser Pro Park), which is the only product which performs that function... though it is sold as a laser parking sensor it has the same effect that you want. Call it a side effect or whatever you want, but it works well.

In terms of merchants, I highly recommend this company for either Bel or LPP products: Direct Motorsport International.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='584683' date='May 20 2008, 11:58 PM
Those are all radar frequencies above. If that is all you have to worry about, then you have no need for a laser defense.

The question would then become... are radar detectors illegal to operate in Italy? If so, then you ideally should get a Bel STi, which is the only RD model which cannot be detected by radar detector detectors.
The law says you can have a ticket and confiscation of the device .
But I don't think the police has 'radar detector detectors' here : nobody has a radar detector here .

Blinder? Well, first off I have heard from several sources that the M25/M45 series is inferior when compared to the older Blinder M20/M40. Second, they are LED diode based and not laser diode based - meaning larger heads that are less powerful than the laser diode models.
Ok

And again... are laser jammers illegal in Italy? If so, then your only real choice is LPP (Laser Pro Park), which is the only product which performs that function... though it is sold as a laser parking sensor it has the same effect that you want. Call it a side effect or whatever you want, but it works well.
Illegal, yes, but they have to find it on your car, right ?
How can they notice I have it ?

In terms of merchants, I highly recommend this company for either Bel or LPP products: Direct Motorsport International.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='585080' date='May 21 2008, 04:29 AM
Illegal, yes, but they have to find it on your car, right ?
How can they notice I have it ?
Yes, so then another reason you want a device which is as discrete as possible. Again, another reason to go with laser diode based product such as LPP, since it is very small (50mm width x 20mm height x 50mm deep). On most cars you can hide it easily. The device must always have a view in front of the car (i.e. not obstructed by bumper or anything else).

And also, LPP does not trip jamming codes like laser jammers do. So, that is a big plus for LPP in areas where jammers are illegal.... 1) it's not a jammer (remember it is a "parking sensor"); 2) does not trip jamming codes (though not all LIDAR guns have jamming codes, many of them do).

Quick Reply: Laser jammer install