DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535iX Wagon

I threw a code for shift solenoid B, and this guide walked me through how to replace them. Very nicely written and complete. My 535XI doesn't apply completely to this guide because the solenoids were in different places, but I found one solenoid measured 24 ohms and it seems it should have been 10. I found the kit for the 2WD model through my wholesale auto parts system (Worldpac) and after some magnifying glass fun it turns out 9 out of 10 of the part numbers matched, even though the colors didn't.

PS - The fluid in mine with 53k miles was disgusting. Almost like the oil change on an old diesel engine, and I'm glad I got to change that and the filter/pan combo. I hope this is the only issue I have with this car, because it's only 2 weeks old to me
Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 525i
Default About to start this procedure

Hello, I want to thank everyone for this article. I am about to embark on this journey with my 2007 BMW 525i E60 transmission 6hp-18 Just making sure everyone is still around in case I have questions.

Last edited by Jason Crossno; 05-14-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Unfortunately, the guy that started this thread sold his E60 this year and has moved on. But hopefully the people who have participated in this thread will chime in and help!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 AM
New Members

appreciate it!!!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:32 AM
New Members

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2006
Default Still here

I’m still around
Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by TeflonDon
I’m still around
Your awesome TeflonDon!!! Everything has went awesome except putting tran pan back on and one dang pan bolt scheered Any tricks to getting it out?? it scheered at an angle and is hard to put the puch in the center to drill a hole.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:21 PM
New Members

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Default Ouch

Not sure man.. Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s get a decent extractor kit... best advice I have.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 330i
Engine: N52B30

Instead of starting my own thread i'm going to bump and piggyback this one. I previously posted in this thread about the trans work I did.

2006 BMW 330i with 131k miles
ZF6HP19
Around 120k miles: Pan+filter swap, fluid change with zf lifeguard 6, adaptations reset

Car has been driving wonderfully since trans work 10k miles/10 months ago. I drive it like a grandma in the city, but very hard on the highway. Most highway trips will see a pull from 3k-6k rpm in 4th gear a few times, so lots of downshifting in to 4 and 4-5 upshifts at high power. After driving 120 miles for a road trip this past weekend on the way home I had an odd 4-5 upshift (delayed shift, rpm flare). I tried it twice more, and after the third mis-shift the trans entered failsafe limp mode. Restarting the car removed the failsafe mode, and the car shifted fine for the most part except for a couple of missed shifts again from 4-5 on power. Limp mode was not re-entered for the duration of my trip, and I haven’t seen it since.

When I got home I pulled the code 4F8A 4-5 ratio monitoring.

The symptom is after 3.5k rpm the upshift command is sent, and I can feel the attempted shift (jolt in driveline), but 5th gear is not engaged. Backing out of the pedal (ie. Less power demand) triggers the shift, but it seems as if there is not enough hydraulic pressure to engage 4th. All other upshifts, and all other downshifts are fine (so far).

Given the above and based on other research on this and other BMW forums my plan is to do the following:
1. Check fluid level, top up if necessary (can do this weekend). I don’t expect this will entirely solve the issue as low fluid level would probably show up in other shifts as well, but it’s worth a shot.
2. Replace seals to valvebody (need to buy parts). I think (and hope) this is the issue. I have read a thread or two where replacing the worn seals has dealt with this issue. Is it likely that it’s only the bridge and valvebody seals, or is it the solenoids?
3. Inspect solenoids, replace if necessary (buy solenoids). Is there any way to clean the solenoids? From what I understand I can test them for resistance, would this indicate whether they are faulty? Or should I just pop new solenoids in and call it a day?

If it is a hydraulic issue, why would it be limited to just 4-5 upshift?
According Sonnex ZF6HP19 valvebody and mechatronic service doc: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sonnax-dev/...AutoChoice.pdf
For driveability concerns specifically the 4-5 upshift flare, they recommend a "valvebody hydraulic service." Is that the full seal+solenoid replacement? What else can be serviced?

Any feedback is appreciated. Hoping to keep this car for at least a few more years, and I’d like to keep driving it moderately hard as well. If I can’t do WOT pulls anymore that’s fine, but I’m seeing a bit of slip at even 50% throttle at mid rpm in 4th and I’m not too keen on that.

Name:  uSPSG9v.png
Views: 124
Size:  280.5 KB

Last edited by leif20; 06-05-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM
New Members

Update on my process. I am done replaced seals, sleeve and solenoids and been driving one week with butter like shifting and no bump going from 2nd to 1st.

2007 BMW 525i with 166k experiencing transmission faults shifting from 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th or anytime I accelerated forcefully. followed this post and pictures a long with video

i took my time working a little each day after work and on weekends. Took two weeks with no real issues besides shredding one pan bolt. extracted out and bought new bolt. putting the sleeve back in was the hardest part!!!

Put car up on 4 jack stands and used mercon transmission fluid.

again thank everyone!!!!!!!!! I appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 330i
Engine: N52B30

I emailed Sonnax transmission support, and a local but highly recommended transmission shop.

My symptom is good shifting but RPM flare on 4-5.

Sonnax said it is likely a worn bushing in the stator of the pump leading to excess clearance and leaking of oil pressure, preventing good E-Clutch engagement.

The local trans shop thinks it's actually worn clutch packs on the E stack, but also mentioned the Stator bushing and potentially a pressure relief valve in the pump.

Most issues with these transmissions I have seen here online are solved with the solenoids, seals, new fluid and resetting adaptations. I'm wondering why my transmission would have the worn clutch packs or bushing when there are plenty success stories with the solenoids.

Quick Reply: KyleB's 6HP19 service thread