DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, I put all the bulletins and necessary documents up on my site now @ www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com so feel free to download them from there. Also, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or email me at support@aftermarketbulbsshop.com to get the quickest response.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 titanium silver with cool day running halos and blue footwell tubes also puddles lights spots under car

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='637096' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:32 AM
Here's some pics of the install. I think they are pretty self explanatory except that the CD-Changer screws don't come out. They just loosen and then permits you to pull the unit out. I fixed the iPod interface with the supplied cable ties. No drilling no nothing. Plug n Play.

PM me if you want the BMW service bulletin that will permit you to get the mp3 retrofit done for free, which enables you to play MP3 CD's or use the iPod interface. Or if you want the official BMW ipod interface installation instructions.
HI MATE CAN I DO THIS TO MY 53 PLATE UK VERSION AS I ALSO NEED AUX INPUT FOR MY AFTERMARKET DVD PLAYER
Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributors

this is JUST for the iPod.. no aux input. basically this replaces the CD-Changer and uses the same options and functions as the CD-Changer. It merely emulates a CD-Changer while using the iPod for audio

Hope that made sense
Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Msport Euro specs: voice command, Lighting package, bluetooth package, premium sound and M5 wheels.

Hi Roger,

I have a 2004 525i M sport build Sept. 2003. I have a CD changer. Correct me if I'm wrong as follows:

1. I will just need to buy your ipod kit and connect it plug and play.
2. I need to ask my dealer to enable ipod option.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hello Roger,

firstly, sorrry for the very late feedback on ur ipod kit! i was away soon after i got it installed.

Initially when i connected it up, it didnt work. so then i took it to the dealer, and got the iPod Retrofit coding done.

The price here in India for the coding is fixed at around US$30.00 and the work took around 3-4 hours.

After the coding, the ipod is working with the iDrive and i am very happy with it. JUST PERFECT!

so all u guys out there who have hooked it and notworking, then just take it to the dealer and get it coded.

My car is with a Business Audio - NO NAV, and with CDC. so i just unplugged the CDC and put in the iPod retrofit. and did the coding.

Roger, Thanks a lot for it!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joattack' post='748555' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:33 AM
Hi Roger,

I have a 2004 525i M sport build Sept. 2003. I have a CD changer. Correct me if I'm wrong as follows:

1. I will just need to buy your ipod kit and connect it plug and play.
2. I need to ask my dealer to enable ipod option.

Thanks a lot.
Hey there joattack,

1. Correct
2. No! if you ask your dealer to enable the ipod option he'll charge you. Just ask them to enable mp3 playback which is for free under a customer complaint basis

So in your case, all you would need is the interface, the 5-series faceplate if you want it to look nice, and the free mp3 enable option and you'd be set to go.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='748559' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:44 AM
Hello Roger,

firstly, sorrry for the very late feedback on ur ipod kit! i was away soon after i got it installed.

Initially when i connected it up, it didnt work. so then i took it to the dealer, and got the iPod Retrofit coding done.

The price here in India for the coding is fixed at around US$30.00 and the work took around 3-4 hours.

After the coding, the ipod is working with the iDrive and i am very happy with it. JUST PERFECT!

so all u guys out there who have hooked it and notworking, then just take it to the dealer and get it coded.

My car is with a Business Audio - NO NAV, and with CDC. so i just unplugged the CDC and put in the iPod retrofit. and did the coding.

Roger, Thanks a lot for it!
GOOD TO HEAR!! glad it all worked out in the end! 30$ US? That is REALLY cheap!! here in the US they try to charge 250-300 to do it. Nevertheless, it should have been free... For anyone else reading these posts, don't ask for the ipod enable coding. They WILL charge you. Actually, don't mention iPod at all. They don't really know what's going on and go by their little information guides they have.
The iPod interface is exactly that. An interface... basically, all it does is interpret the iPod information while the car still thinks that it has a CD-Changer hooked up. To make it work though the car needs to be able to properly decode mp3 file formats.
If you already have a CD-Changer all you need is "mp3 enable coding", which is free on a customer complaint basis and everything should work
If you don't have a CD-Changer, you might be required to get the CD-Changer option enabled for which they generally do charge. However, if you need to get the mp3 enable done anyway, ask them do to the mp3 and CD-Changer enable at the same time! it's the same process and doesn't take any more of their time. This way you could get both done for free if your stealership is nice
Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Members

Hi Roger:

I have a BMW 525 E60 year 2006. I have a CD with mp3 music files saved on it and I inserted it in my in dash cd player and it played the mp3 files. In the I Drive display it showed the MP3 option to the left side of the CD option (ie. MP3 CD CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4 CD5 CD6) My car has the glovebox 6 CD changer as well. Does that means that I already have the mp3 coding enabled so I do not need to take my car to the BMW dealer for coding it after I install de Ipod Interace retrofit device? My in dash CD player was replaced like a year ago because it has some problems reading the CD's.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Contributors

Chatted online.. hope I answered all your questions
Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Hi Roger,

I have a July 06 Build with No Nav and No CDC.
I've just been out and checked in the glove box, there is a conector there with 2 wires going to it, one Brown & one Red. The 2 round holes in the connector are empty. Does this mean my car wasn't wired up for a CDC or am I missing something? Should there be a Fibre Optic cable somewhere behind there?

Thanks for any help

Quick Reply: iPod interface installation DIY