DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod interface coding

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I connected the IPod interface my self, as it was a dead easy task. Then I took the car to the stealership to be coded. They reported that the car has a MOST bus missing. The diagnostics tool can not find the MOST bus. Well, this is probably due to some bad connection I made during the interface installation, but I still took the car from the stealer, as not to get any additional costs. I've read and heard from several sources, that the iPod interface CAN be first installed, then coded, especially for an LCI. Could someone verify that this is the case?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem here? I'll check the cabling in a bit, but I doubt I'll find anything that would be really visibly incorrectly connected, as the connections seemed to be idiot proof. If the cabling seems to be correct, where could the problem be?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Contributors

My first guess is this:

When you install the iPod adapter, you have to connect fiber optic cables. From what I know about the MOST, the cable runs in a 'loop' throughout the vehicle, so if connected wrong the scanner will not get a signal, so maybe you have the fiber optic cables reversed? I only say this because after my first install in a previous E60, I made this exact mistake.

PS: posting from an iPad is twice the effort with half the glory.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles
My first guess is this:

When you install the iPod adapter, you have to connect fiber optic cables. From what I know about the MOST, the cable runs in a 'loop' throughout the vehicle, so if connected wrong the scanner will not get a signal, so maybe you have the fiber optic cables reversed? I only say this because after my first install in a previous E60, I made this exact mistake.

PS: posting from an iPad is twice the effort with half the glory.
Thanks, this is helpful. Reversed? I had the idea that the connections cannot really be made incorrectly. At least it seemed like that. I have to check, but could you specify a bit more, how "Reversed"

Also, is there some kind of risk involved in connecting the iPod to and LCI before reading the error codes etc. And could the MOST bus be now somehow lost for good, requiring a software reprogramming or something like that?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Osmic
Thanks, this is helpful. Reversed? I had the idea that the connections cannot really be made incorrectly. At least it seemed like that. I have to check, but could you specify a bit more, how "Reversed"

Also, is there some kind of risk involved in connecting the iPod to and LCI before reading the error codes etc. And could the MOST bus be now somehow lost for good, requiring a software reprogramming or something like that?

OK, I found a mistake from the cabling. But as these things go, I did another - now I don't know which MOST cable is ingoing and which out going.

How to tell which is which of the car's default most cables?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Osmic
OK, I found a mistake from the cabling. But as these things go, I did another - now I don't know which MOST cable is ingoing and which out going.

How to tell which is which of the car's default most cables?
Now this is OK, MOST bus is visible again, but - now it has an error code of 9DFA AHM: Voltage supply, term. 30_2. This is related to the trailer hook. Any suggestions what could be the problem? The trailer hook is motorized and appears from under the car automatically, but I don't know whether the electricity to the trailer works OK, as I have not used the hook.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

use a voltmeter