DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

If you have any tech question about the E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy, I'm considering (do-it-yourself) draining the old coolant and refilling with new on my '07 530i. I've only owned it since 09/2010 and 27K miles. It still has the original coolant in it. I've read and understand the automatic bleeding procedure, but would like to know of any problems that others here may have had with that automatic procedure bleeding effectively. Thanks for any input/suggestions!

The bleeding (venting) procedure that I've read, for the N52:

Fill coolant expansion tank up to lower edge of filler neck with recommended coolant. Close cap on expansion tank. Do not open the coolant expansion tank cap during the venting procedure.

1. Connect battery charger.
2. Switch on ignition, do not start.
3. Set heater to maximum temperature, activate "Automatic" button, then reduce fan to lowest setting.
4. Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor. Engine must not be started
5. The venting procedure is started when the accelerator pedal is pressed and takes approximately 12 minutes.
6. Then top up fill level in coolant expansion tank with 250 ml (or about 18mm) above max. (only when venting (bleeding))
7. Check cooling system for leaks.
8. If the venting procedure has to be carried out several times, allow DME to drop completely (ignition key removed for approximately 3 minutes), then repeat from step 3.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Members

I have a 2004 545 with a manual trans. When its cold, sometime when I upshift or downshift, the interior lights will flicker, the sound on the raadio cuts out for a second, and I get a dynamic drive fault. When its warm, it doesn't do it. I replaced the battery and alternator 2 years ago. When I disconnect the IBS, the problem goes away. Bad IBS? Or is there something else in the circuit that might cause this?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by TerraSlug
Rudy, I'm considering (do-it-yourself) draining the old coolant and refilling with new on my '07 530i. I've only owned it since 09/2010 and 27K miles. It still has the original coolant in it. I've read and understand the automatic bleeding procedure, but would like to know of any problems that others here may have had with that automatic procedure bleeding effectively. Thanks for any input/suggestions!

The bleeding (venting) procedure that I've read, for the N52:

Fill coolant expansion tank up to lower edge of filler neck with recommended coolant. Close cap on expansion tank. Do not open the coolant expansion tank cap during the venting procedure.

1. Connect battery charger.
2. Switch on ignition, do not start.
3. Set heater to maximum temperature, activate "Automatic" button, then reduce fan to lowest setting.
4. Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor. Engine must not be started
5. The venting procedure is started when the accelerator pedal is pressed and takes approximately 12 minutes.
6. Then top up fill level in coolant expansion tank with 250 ml (or about 18mm) above max. (only when venting (bleeding))
7. Check cooling system for leaks.
8. If the venting procedure has to be carried out several times, allow DME to drop completely (ignition key removed for approximately 3 minutes), then repeat from step 3.

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
I have a 2004 545 with a manual trans. When its cold, sometime when I upshift or downshift, the interior lights will flicker, the sound on the raadio cuts out for a second, and I get a dynamic drive fault. When its warm, it doesn't do it. I replaced the battery and alternator 2 years ago. When I disconnect the IBS, the problem goes away. Bad IBS? Or is there something else in the circuit that might cause this?
Guys, this thread is probably not the best place for your questions to get noticed nor answered. I realize that Google may have played a role in it's resurrection but my advice would be to start a new topic (with a descriptive subject) and ask your questions again...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Members

I have 08 e60.
Everytime I start my car, the fan is on automatically.
Is there anyway to turn it off ?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tetu
I have 08 e60.
Everytime I start my car, the fan is on automatically.
Is there anyway to turn it off ?
Thanks
Tetu, like Rudy posted, just before your's, this thread probably will not get as many replies to your question, as you would get by beginning a new thread with that same question in this DIY forum. I posted here, too, led here by a google search several days ago, so I began a new thread with my same question. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Members

Thank you TerraSlug...
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i loaded

Hi jmcaiado,

I have a couple concerns with my first BMW and have only put 5,000 miles on her since purchased almost one year ago. It?s an 05 545i with just over 60,000 miles.

1) The driver?s side heat is not working properly, but the passenger side works fine? Last time I took her for a ride I noticed it gets warmer as I drive/accelerate, but when the vehicle is stopped... the cooler air comes out? I do not drive it on the salty roads here in Rochester, NY... but when the roads are clear I like to other than having cold feet the entire time (lol).

2) My rear window has an electric retractable sun screen and it has been stuck up/out since the summer. The roller wheels are not jammed and I hear the switch engage when the button is pushed, but no movement. I have been curious where the motor is located and how to access it?

Thanks for offering to help!

JJ
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Wow...just wow...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Hello Rudy,

I have a 2004 5-series and need some help, maybe you could point me in the right direction:

Every time I drive it for longer than 30 minutes I go home and check the e60.net forums, there I find this question thread that has been dead for a long time but it keeps being resurrected by people who refuse to read anything in it but just put down their question and leave. What can be done about this?

Many thanks, hope you recognize some of the symptoms...

meh
Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Theo
Hello Rudy,

I have a 2004 5-series and need some help, maybe you could point me in the right direction:

Every time I drive it for longer than 30 minutes I go home and check the e60.net forums, there I find this question thread that has been dead for a long time but it keeps being resurrected by people who refuse to read anything in it but just put down their question and leave. What can be done about this?

Many thanks, hope you recognize some of the symptoms...
meh
I completely understand your problem and can only offer you this information:

I'm suffering from the same ailment...

(of course I could close the thread but that would be too easy and/or logical...)

Quick Reply: If you have any tech question about the E60