DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to add an aftermarket sub/amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Originally Posted by GrillZ' post='869456' date='May 6 2009, 12:56 AM
question.....

do the all 5-series rear seats fold down or have some kind of opening to the trunk ?

starting from the trunk, what is in between the trunk and the back seat......
because i remember in my old Benz, from in the trunk there was a steal plate, gas tank, another steal plate, then the back seat......
No, the rear folding seat is a separate option that you have to add. There isn't anything in between though. What you see from the trunk is just the back of the rear seat as far as I could tell. No metal plate. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Members

I don't know the strength of power handling for the stock wires but is it "safe" to run a decently high powered system through this method?
Because the stuff I have is 1600watts and i dont want to burn out the stock wires.....

I have a HiFonics BXi1608D and a AudioQue HDC3 12".......
Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GrillZ' post='872219' date='May 8 2009, 07:44 AM
I don't know the strength of power handling for the stock wires but is it "safe" to run a decently high powered system through this method?
Because the stuff I have is 1600watts and i dont want to burn out the stock wires.....

I have a HiFonics BXi1608D and a AudioQue HDC3 12".......
from you post i'm assuming your going to run the stock wires directly to your subwoofer and bypass your hitronics amp? (is that why your stock wires will burn?)
let me know when you find a subwoofer rca output (try checking the wheel well)
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by code37' post='872324' date='May 8 2009, 12:34 PM
from you post i'm assuming your going to run the stock wires directly to your subwoofer and bypass your hitronics amp? (is that why your stock wires will burn?)
let me know when you find a subwoofer rca output (try checking the wheel well)
I dont get what your saying ......... ?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Great DIY, I LOVE this forum!! I'm gonna try this in a few weeks
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Members

Guys its Bern 3years still no bass in my e60 how the heck do you do this without. Factory fitted amp? I just have standard speakers and Deffo no amp in boot
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

I checked in my e60 in the rear left i dont have the amp but im sure i have subs under my seats...
Any idea what other way i can install a amp and sub i have brought the rca converter
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BallyM5
I checked in my e60 in the rear left i dont have the amp but im sure i have subs under my seats...
Any idea what other way i can install a amp and sub i have brought the rca converter
from what i have taken from this thread is: however what i am not sure if this is the same pin out for my system which has a mask not ccc

Okay, first thing you need to do is empty out your trunk for easy access. Next, remove both side panels inside the trunk. Just turn the black plugs 90 degrees and they pop out. This will give you access to the battery on the right, and the factory amp on the left side.

So, first disconnect the battery so you don't shock yourself. Find the amp on the left side of the car. It's a silver box with a bundle of wires going into it...fairly easy to find. Remove the bundle of wires from the amp. There's a little sliding thing to disconnect the bundle...it's easy to figure out once you see it.
Here's the wires coming directly from the head unit that you'll want to tap to grab your signal from:

Left + Black/Red
Left - Black/Violet
Right + Black/White
Right - Black/Brown
On/Off White/Violet

I had to cut the black fabric tape that was wrapping the wires so I could access them. Just tap those wires and you should be good to go. You shouldn't need an LOC. To control the power to your amp, tap the thin White/Violet wire and connect directly to your amp. This will ensure your amp turns on/off when the car goes in and out of sleep mode (just like the factory amp). Make sure you do a good clean job tapping into the wires...they will still need to feed a signal into the factory amp so the rest of the speakers make sound

Plug the bundle of wires back into the factory amp and you're done grabbing a stereo signal.

Most people seem to mount the amp either hanging under the rear deck, or on the flat part of the left-side panel (the one that covers the factory amp...this is what I did). I've also read that some people that have smaller sized amps were able to fit them UNDER the panel so they stay stealth...if you do this make sure you take cooling into consideration. Also, the back of the rear seats is another option (this is what I did on my e46).

That's about it, running power to the amp is pretty easy since the battery is already back there. You should be able to figure the rest out. BTW, I did this install on my '05 530i, no nav, standard audio (not logic 7).

ccc line outs

On the CCC there is a plug called X13812 and X13813. The pins you need are

Pin 13 (X13812) for the amp Remote ON.

And on X13813

Pin 10 for the Line Level Left Negative
Pin 3 for the Line Level Left Positive
Pin 9 for the Line Level Right Negative
Pin 4 for the Line Level Right Positive
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
helenpayss

This became intriguing. Similar to other people, We enjoy the time and energy in reality along with forthright having a matter relating to your band. healthy breakfast with eggs
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by helenpayss
This became intriguing. Similar to other people, We enjoy the time and energy in reality along with forthright having a matter relating to your band. healthy breakfast with eggs
Good to know that spammers are also into healthy eating.

Quick Reply: How to add an aftermarket sub/amp