DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to add an aftermarket sub/amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by code37' post='852012' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:41 PM
acribb is there anyway u can post pictures of the battery and the wiring of the battery? thanks

If I remember later today when I get home Ill post pictures of my batter set up.....its relatively simple though
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by code37' post='852012' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:41 PM
acribb is there anyway u can post pictures of the battery and the wiring of the battery? thanks
Here you go...this is my set up for battery wiring....runs great underneath everything....
Attached Thumbnails How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-stereo_upgrade_003.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-stereo_upgrade_002.jpg  
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='856918' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:43 PM
Here you go...this is my set up for battery wiring....runs great underneath everything....
Thanks. I noticed your rear seats fold down, I wonder if my vehicle has that available?
Also how come your power wire is purple in this picture, but the original one in your post is blue? the picture really helps alot thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Members

Hey I really want to add an amp to my E60 as well and I have been reading a lot on how to do it. I just purchased a Rocksford Fosgate Punch 400W amp and read somewhere else that just adding the amp alone would improve the quality of the sound. My question is if this is possible how would I do it. I would buy a new sub, but as of right now I don't have enough money to buy something decent. Any help is appreciated
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Nice DIY acribb. Do you have pics of the Y-Adapter cable that you used to split the single channel coming from the line out converter?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Contributors

Wow i just installed my sub and amp today, took about 6 hours. The difficult part was running the wires. I'll post pictures soon. thanks for the write up.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Members

Please post pcs.
How does your seat fold down?
Where can i buy the y splitter and the rca converter and wires and why do i need them? Ik for the music. But y can i tap into other wires from the amo for the music?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Just wanted to echo that this method works like a charm. I finally put in my 600 W JBL sub amp with a Kicker 12" sub in the trunk. Great combination with the Logic 7 as the only thing it was lacking (for my ears) was the deep bass, which the 12 now provides. Just wanted to say thanks to the board for helping me out with this.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Members

question.....

do the all 5-series rear seats fold down or have some kind of opening to the trunk ?

starting from the trunk, what is in between the trunk and the back seat......
because i remember in my old Benz, from in the trunk there was a steal plate, gas tank, another steal plate, then the back seat......
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Contributors

Talking

Here are some pictures sorry for low lighting, pretty much JL set up
13w7 with ported box, and a 1000/1v2 amp. i can post pics of the wiring if requested.

By the way, I didn't do any cutting or TAPPing into the stock wires. pretty much easier and cleaner set up that i went thru. I dont have to worry about exposed or using black electrical tape to cover the "wound".

Thinking about adding a capacitor, and changing the bulbs to bright white (interrior lighting i.e. trunk, dome lights, side view mirrors, and foot)

Good job by acribb, couldn't have done it with out his posts and DIY info. Great job. I'm ready to answer any questions just PM me or post here.
Attached Thumbnails How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-sub1.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-sub2.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-sub3_amp.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-sub_4.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-sub_5.jpg  

How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-rim_shot.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-rim_shot_2.jpg   How to add an aftermarket sub/amp-foot_pedals_bmw_530i.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to add an aftermarket sub/amp