DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Front windshield rubber trim HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windshield rubber trim HELP!

Hello,

Ive been looking around on how to change the seals for the windshield and rear window. I found DIYs for the rear but none for the front. My question is, would it be the same process? I heard it was more difficult due to the silicone used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hi guy, i'm assuming you're speaking of the windshield rubber trim on top..
Things you should buy:
1. rubber trim obviously
2. 10 clips for the side plastic trim pieces. You probably won't need all 10, but they aren't very expensive.
these clips are usually rusted and probably better to replace them anyways.
3. cleaning materials for after pulling off the old trim.
i can't help you here, but i think just soap and water with a microfiber towel should be fine.
I used cleaning solvent + high pressure air gun.

Simple DIY
1. just take the side trim pieces off start at the top and slowly work your way down by pulling on them with a bit of force so as to not brake the plastic. there will be some resistance because of the 5 clips on each side of the windshield.
2. Make a note of where the top trim piece ends on each side by taping next to it or marking it with something that wont damage your exterior. Rip off the top rubber molding, i used a hard plastic wedge shaped prying tool to initially get a piece of the trim off before just slowly ripping it off with my hands.
3. clean top and sides of windshield. there is some gel/pasty like silicone on top of the windshield that isn't in a hardened state that i just left, it seemed like it was there for a good reason.
4. put the top trim piece on by starting at either end of the windshield and you'll need a plastic wedging tool of some sort to gently push the trim in. I'm sure you realized that the rubber mold is not completely made of rubber, so it'll take a bit of patience and gentle force to shimmy the trim on. Once you've to a corner fully in, you can just simply work your way by pushing down on the trim to the end of it until it's completely on.
5. Replace clips for the side trims as they were originally, because they need to be placed on the sides and slid down a bit to lock in place. That's pretty much it. if you run into problem u can pm me or hopefully someone more experienced or someone with pictures of the process can chime in.

Good luck buddy!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Sorry for the old thread revival... Has anyone done this? OP have you gotten this taken care of. I am in desperate need of both front and rear trims, and will be starting with the rear this week.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Yes, easiest way for the trunk rubber is to pop the trunk, pick a corner and pull up. Make sure to clean any rubber that falls off. Many say to clean up any sticky residue, I didnt and mine has been on good for almost 2 years. For the front I just did the one at the top of the windshield, I used a plastic trim puller on a corner and did the same thing cleaning wise.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jay8s
Sorry for the old thread revival... Has anyone done this? OP have you gotten this taken care of. I am in desperate need of both front and rear trims, and will be starting with the rear this week.
Had written extremely detailed instructions and lost it by pressing backspace
so here is a quick summary,

Just like the person above me said:

-Take the old trim out, can be messy. (notice the position of the grooves so you can have an idea when adding new one, I took a picture)
-Clean glue if youd like, I cleaned most of it since it smudged my window and roof because the glue was a bit melted due to me being outside
-Add the new one with the metal grooves hugging the side of the window

Was pretty basic and easy to do. The only issue I had was the front trim on the passenger side which didnt fit too well due to it being too tight to squeeze the whole rubber trim in, but not very noticible. Let me know if you have this issue or any other questions, Good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ldesouza
Had written extremely detailed instructions and lost it by pressing backspace
so here is a quick summary,

Just like the person above me said:

-Take the old trim out, can be messy. (notice the position of the grooves so you can have an idea when adding new one, I took a picture)
-Clean glue if youd like, I cleaned most of it since it smudged my window and roof because the glue was a bit melted due to me being outside
-Add the new one with the metal grooves hugging the side of the window

Was pretty basic and easy to do. The only issue I had was the front trim on the passenger side which didnt fit too well due to it being too tight to squeeze the whole rubber trim in, but not very noticible. Let me know if you have this issue or any other questions, Good luck!

The back is not so scary to remove or replace I don't think. I am worried about the front window trim. Any others with front window experience?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The back is not so scary to remove or replace I don't think. I am worried about the front window trim. Any others with front window experience?
Yes removing was easy. Installing didn't go so well and cracked the OEM windshield happy about it since the replacement was better and brand new trim.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Members

You cracked the windshield. That is not very promising.....
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Members

Mine came off just as easily as the back, Dont apply too much force and you should be fine, Also try doing this indoors and in a cool space and you should have a lesser chance of cracking anything like the post above. I did it under the hot sun and was fine. Just take it nice and slow