DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 M5 SMG Steering Wheel HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M6

Originally Posted by Hobi' post='103973' date='Mar 20 2005, 12:50 PM
Hi Iceman

I have completed the wiring loom for your steering wheel mod. Will call you to arrange meeting...

For anyone that's interested, I have developed a wiring loom that will enable the E60 M5 -/+ Paddles to be used on an E60 that ALREADY has regular Push/Pull SMG. The mod requires only the paddles to be obtained - the steering wheel rim does NOT get changed (unless you really want the M5 wheel).

In Iceman's case, he has a steering wheel with the round airbag, steering wheel heating and push/pull SMG levers. He would like to have the M5 -/+ levers instead.

The wiring loom for this conversion also ENABLES the LED lights in the M5 levers. I have used BMW original parts only.

A picture of the wiring loom and paddles is shown below. I have also included the push/pull levers on the far left and far right sides of the image. The blue tape on the M5 levers is just for protection.

Installation time for this mod will be approx 30 minutes.

All the Best

Hobi
Hello Hobi,

Could you sell the wiring loom and paddles to me, I really want it. That amazing!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to some complaints here, I deleted this post.

Best Regards.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

MY530i I do not think you should steel others topics and ideas for your commercial purposes...... at least make your own topic!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Peter,

Please don't bash me in the public. We're long term members here and we're adult. The idea is widely available on the internet if you search for "Paddle Shift", and I did not steal it. Here is why:
Hobi,

I was brought to the attention from one of my associates about this thread.

So, I did some research on this forum and apparently you're quite the brain behind this retrofit idea. I am actually still quite intrigued by what you have on your website:

I hope I have your generous permission to post this picture here. This picture was shown on your FAQs page on your website.

If I am not wrong, one of the wiring harnesses in that picture belongs to us, that is, VS Engineering. The adhesive residue was a serialized number label from one of our earlier wiring harness version. And the AMP connector has even been modified by us as well. That again, is clearly evident from the picture.

However from my understanding you with the help from John Thorney developed this kit, which is now sold through Thorney Motorsports.

I believe VS Engineering and myself are totally kept out of the loop on this rather exciting venture across the pond. Perhaps you or John can fill us and the rest of the forum members in on this?

I look forward to your timely reply.

Regards,
Vincent
Check out this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...=VS+Engineering
http://home.comcast.net/~paddle.shift/paym...1.63.64.kit.htm
http://www.bmw-paddleshift-retro.com/

I hope you understand and I always respect your and our E60.net members' words.

Thanks/Fred
Old 06-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525dA, black sapphire, m-tech-aero-kit, oem m-tech 167 wheels w. 245/35/19ET12 + 275/30/19ET17, eibach pro-kit 30/30mm, black leather w. heating front+rear, folding rear seats w/ski bag, sun-roof (glas), pdc, adaptive bi-xenon, ext. clima-automatic, ext. lights-package, nav.busines, bluetooth, aftermarket hifi-amps + sub, paddle-shift!!

Hi,

I?m a little afraid if retrofitting can really done by a DIY-Kit?

A Question to all who already have retrofitted their car:

Did you also needed

- to modify or
- to remove

the

- coil spring cardridge (no 1, p/n 61316911515) or the
- switch unit steering column (no 2, p/n 61316962939) ??

see: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...722&hg=61&fg=35

Today I?ve been at my garage and the guys there said, that removing
of these parts gets into serious troubles and cannot be done by DIY.

Or did you just change wheel, added paddles and some special wiring loom?

Thanks Lanikus
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by lanikus' post='295269' date='Jun 9 2006, 08:51 PM
Hi,

I?m a little afraid if retrofitting can really done by a DIY-Kit?

A Question to all who already have retrofitted their car:

Did you also needed

- to modify or
- to remove

the

- coil spring cardridge (no 1, p/n 61316911515) or the
- switch unit steering column (no 2, p/n 61316962939) ??

see: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...722&hg=61&fg=35

Today I?ve been at my garage and the guys there said, that removing
of these parts gets into serious troubles and cannot be done by DIY.

Or did you just change wheel, added paddles and some special wiring loom?

Thanks Lanikus

It is a real easy job.
I took me around 45 mins from start to finish.

You do remove part 1 yeah, but not part 2, and then replace it with a new one that is supplied in the kit. Can't see what the problem is though? As long as you remove the battery first you will be fine.

Seriously this is one mod everyone should do.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525dA, black sapphire, m-tech-aero-kit, oem m-tech 167 wheels w. 245/35/19ET12 + 275/30/19ET17, eibach pro-kit 30/30mm, black leather w. heating front+rear, folding rear seats w/ski bag, sun-roof (glas), pdc, adaptive bi-xenon, ext. clima-automatic, ext. lights-package, nav.busines, bluetooth, aftermarket hifi-amps + sub, paddle-shift!!

Hi gIzzE !

Thanks for replying! If U only have to exchange part no. 1, then it?s okay. If U also would have to exchange part no. 2, then reprogramming and recalibration of the car would be nessecary, because of the steering angle sensor inside. This sensor controls e.g. the DSC.

Greetings, Lanikus
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Contributors

I think there is no "If" in this case
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM
dbm
Members

Can i have informations about prices and where i can find this stuff thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I am looking for this too with the paddle kit as well.... Prices please?

Quick Reply: E60 M5 SMG Steering Wheel HERE!