DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

e60/61 Replacing a PDC sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Anyone have experience of this?
Got my car cleaned at my (usually reliable) local valeters and from the i-drive it looks like at least one of the sensors isn't sending a signal.
From memory, I think its the front near side corner that's not happy.

I've got an oil change service coming up so could get the dealer to do it, but if any of you have attempted DIY replacement I'd be interested to hear the amount of hassle/equipment needed/source of parts/prices paid.
TIA
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by jonno_' post='575811' date='May 7 2008, 07:57 AM
Anyone have experience of this?
Got my car cleaned at my (usually reliable) local valeters and from the i-drive it looks like at least one of the sensors isn't sending a signal.
From memory, I think its the front near side corner that's not happy.

I've got an oil change service coming up so could get the dealer to do it, but if any of you have attempted DIY replacement I'd be interested to hear the amount of hassle/equipment needed/source of parts/prices paid.
TIA
Had the same problem couple of weeks back but i let the dealer do it because it needs to be painted before being put in.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 bmw 530i titanium silver premium and cold weather packages.... ready to do some minor work and still keep it sexy

ill take any broken pdc sensors if you guys have any...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jonno,

Is it the front or rear sensors that are u/s?? If one of the front ones is duff, then the rears will still work and vice-versa. I think removing the front bumper is a more involved job than the rear one. I have done mine at the rear, but not the front.

If you are lucky, with our nice weather, it may even dry out and start working again!! If you can locate the dead one by listening to each one in turn (you should hear a faint "tick, tick" noise), try giving it a blow with an air line. It's not normally recommended, but you can't damage it any more can you???

If your car is still under warranty, then let the $tealer do it.

As to the rear, the passenger side one is relatively easy to get out, as you don't need to remove the bumper, just reach up beside the tailpipes, locate the wires, pull off the plug (IIRC there is a small tab to press) then just push out the sensor - they are only held by plastic tabs which you may need to spread to get the sensor out. It can be done with one hand, without the car lifted.
The left hand one is similar, but involves a bit more contortions to get to it. The right hand pair need the under tray loosening from that side of the car - a couple of 10mm and an 8mm bolt/nuts IIRC. You don't need to remove the tray - it will pull down to give you enough room to get your hand in to do the biz. I have done this on a $tealers forecourt, as they wanted the car in for a day to do it - which meant that I would have 2 x 70 miles round trips and a lot of wasted time. This was under warranty, and they weren't happy to let me walk out with just the sensor, and were somewhat surprised when I returned less than five minutes later with the dead one!!
As has been mentioned, they are painted at the factory. I was quoted a two week lead time for this, but it arrived two days later!!

Mike
Old 05-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Thanks for the comprehensive response Mike.
Having checked into it, the front nearside sensor is the broken one.

I'll certainly try out your airline suggestion, and maybe look at attaching it either via the front grill or wheel arch.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jonno,

Try putting your wheel at full lock to the right and then undoing the wheel arch liner. You may be able to get an arm in there to pop out the sensor.

Mike