E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US car in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Icy
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Sound off... How many US spec cars are out and about in Europe?

We know about KIGERKA, ULTRAPLANET, and SPEC33

Anyone else?

There are several issues I think we'd all like to resolve.

One is the telephone. My "pentagon" dealer told me that there's no way to order even a US phone option (which of course wouldn't work here) but we also could not order a European phone. Bluetooth is available in Europe but cannot be inlcluded on our orders. Options? One is to go to your local dealer after taking delivery and having a phone kit installed. Might be expensive--I'm told it depends on the installed pre-wiring which may have changed since early production months.

Also, if you ordered PDC, you might want to register with the shorter plates. I heard from a guy in Manheim that the longer German-size plates may cause problems with false warnings. I asked why this an issue given that German spec cars have German-size plates, and his response was that the US PDC sensors were calibrated for the smaller plate footprint. Don't know if I believe that but I think it's probably better to error on the side of caution. Anyone else hear of this?

Other issues?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Members

Icy,
Most of the issue that you have listed I have already been working with my dealer. These are the issues that I am tring to work:

Q Will US BMW phone work in Germany.
A No US spec cars have a module for CDMA, Germany uses GSM

Q Can the modules be changes, If so what is to cost?
A Yes, They are using my car as a test car to change the modules in the next week or so, When the upgrade my software. The price I hope is free.

Q Can you get Bluetooth with NAV PRO
A No, atleast not until September when the problem is suppose to be fixed.

Q Can Confort Seats be added as retrofit, If so what is the cost?
A Never been done before they are checking with the factory

Q If I can't get the confort seats can I still get the head rest?
A Yes, 280 Euro ($336.00) a set

Q Why can't I turn off my radio?
A ?????? maybe software upgrade will fix it.

Q When my key is turned off my sun roof will not move. Manual says it should.
A ?????? maybe software upgrade will fix it.

You dealer is incorrect about the PDC atleast, in my case. I have the EURO plates and have no problem with PDC (front or back). However I did have the dealer put the plates on so maybe they adjusted the PDC when they put my plates on.

I have not talked to him about the DVD/TV module but as I see it is working in some BMW's it will be my next question.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Icy' date='Jun 7 2004, 07:23 AM
From Hijacked thread: BMW Navigation Tip
It also looks most of us chose Orient Blue...UltraPLanet, what did you order?
I've ordered Jet Black w/ Black Interior. Since we are not getting the Sports Package we are planning to have the Shadowline Trim installed at the dealer. But that is still up in the air. Maybe I'll start a poll about that one?? I sure hope the wide plates are not an issue with the PDC - the only reason I am getting this car is for the wide plates

Friends of ours are visiting from the States and they have GSM phones. So if the module changes works maybe our GSM phones will have a chance back in the States upon return. Arn't Vodafone and Verizon Wireless partners of some kind?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Icy
Members

UltraPlanet -

Jet black was my second choice. It's a super color! I also liked the Black Saphire but ultimately decided to go with Orient blue.

I couldn't agree more about the shadowline trim. I don't know what it is, but the chrome trim just didn't look right to me.

SPEC33 reports he had no problem with the EURO plates interferring with his PDC.

GSM phones over here use a different frquency range than in North Amercia. I think if BMW can install a GSM TRIBAND TCU in our cars, you might be right about transplanting back to CONUS.

In a previous post I think you mentioned something about the Munich tour. Isn't the Dingdolfing tour different? Seems like I read somewhere they were separate deals.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:44 AM
Contributors

Icy,

I was just thinking something auto related and since we are doing a different kind of European Delivery a road trip that way might be in order.

We have already missed the Geneva Motor Show and the IAA in Frankfurt only seems to take place every other year so that's out too. I'm flexable...

Attached image from IAA 2003
Attached Thumbnails US car in Europe?-img_2878.jpg  
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Senior Members

Vodaphone has some partial ownership in someone in the US like Verizon, but T-mobile took over Voicestream and runs them with GSM only in slightly different frequency (which a tri-band phone/system would manage in both continents)
Old 06-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

I was wondering, why would you want a u.s. spec car in europe? Do they offer more power? I know i wouldn't want to be driving a euro spec carhere. Especially since it would be like driving sideways. Is there an advantage?? Price??
Old 06-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Contributors

I will be moving back to the States in a few years and will be bringing the car with me. What do you mean by sideways?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

I mean like driving from the wrong side of the car. It would be weird to make the left turn from the right side of the car.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributors

US Spec is a left hand driver

Quick Reply: US car in Europe?