DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW E61 530dM

csnt someone upload the images again?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Mods claimed it was fixed awhile ago, but pics are still MIA.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Still looking for the pictures on the DIY. is there anyway the issue can be resolved
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Maybe this will help: BMW DIY Video – Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change – How To Replace – Auto Trans | Bavarian Autosport Blog

Originally Posted by neuron_desi
Still looking for the pictures on the DIY. is there anyway the issue can be resolved
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Changed mine yesterday, kicked my ass. I know it could do it again no problem. The mechatronic sleeve was a bitch to get that last 1/4 inch in, but I put some grease and it went right in, regular transmission oil wouldnt slide it all the way in. I would also say that there is only one way to push the mechatronic sleeve in, it will spin but only catch and slide in when lined up right. Its really a small space to get it in but again the grease on the sleeve made all the difference, I wasted a lot of time trying to use the transmission oil as a lube. When changing the mechatronic sleeve it seems like there isnt enough room to remove it without removing the transmission mount but it will slide out of the small space, if you have big fingers forget it, rent a skinny guy. The car is driving fine, it was before I changed it too, I dont see any change, old oil was dark (doesnt mean much). Old mechatronic sleeve was in great shape but I broke my new one trying to get it in and ended up swapping the O rings from the new to the old. I ended up going with mercon sp, i didnt find enough info to steer me against it. I will likely change every 50k from here and change pan every 100k; if I have the car that long. My biggest concern is that i dont know the exact amount of oil I pulled out or put in, (yes, i had some issues and a few spills with my filler pump, don’t want to talk about it). Keeping my fingers crossed but i know i am somewhere around putting in 6 quarts. The only issue I have with my car which has been going on for a bit now is low idling, thinking about have a shop raise my idle…

Bought new pan from amazon for $100, bought some screws when buying the mechatronic from the dealer and needed them. I broke some screws and was so pissed, not sure why they broke, i was using a torque wrench (they may be one time use). But I was able to unscrew the broken ones when removing the pan again and again. Ended up tightening by feel because the auto craft shop was gonna close. So far no leaks.

Last edited by lightfytr; 10-13-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

^^^How many miles were on your car when you changed the fluid?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Originally Posted by KyleB
^^^How many miles were on your car when you changed the fluid?

101K.

Just got hit last night and now the insurance is talking about totaling my baby. Pissed...
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you're ok. Hopefully it can be repaired.

I feel your pain regarding the mechatronics sleeve. I bought a new one and had the most difficult time installing it. The working space was way to minimal for even the sleeve to fit let alone my hands. Not only that but because of the lack of space, I had no leverage to push the sleeve in in the correct position (the alignment tab is stupid). I tried to push it in with a large screwdriver to no avail. Every time I tried, the sleeve would rotate out of alignment. So frustrating! I ended up reinstalling the old one.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you're ok. Hopefully it can be repaired.

I feel your pain regarding the mechatronics sleeve. I bought a new one and had the most difficult time installing it. The working space was way to minimal for even the sleeve to fit let alone my hands. Not only that but because of the lack of space, I had no leverage to push the sleeve in in the correct position (the alignment tab is stupid). I tried to push it in with a large screwdriver to no avail. Every time I tried, the sleeve would rotate out of alignment. So frustrating! I ended up reinstalling the old one.
Thanks, like I said for me, once i put the grease on it, it clicked in. I broke my new one trying to pull it out. so I just swapped the o rings to the old one. It looked new when I took it out.

I could do it again in no time.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Ouch, sorry to hear about that! Make a list of what to part out just in case if they are really going to call it as a total loss. The good thing is you are okay.

Did you feel any difference after you replaced the fluid and parts?

Originally Posted by lightfytr
101K.

Just got hit last night and now the insurance is talking about totaling my baby. Pissed...

Last edited by E60I; 10-16-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill