DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by tsk
5.5 seems the be what comes out if you remove the pan. That's over 50% and great. I'm wondering if you don't remove the pan approximately how much comes out. If it's 3 liters, that's 1/3 of the fluid and not so great (3 changes would get about 65% fluid change). Or if anyone who's done this has an estimate of how much is left in the pan when you drop it down, that would help.
my guess is that around 1 liter remains in the pan, so you probably drain 4.5 liters. the only bad thing though is that with the design of the pan, the drain is not in the lowest spot, and you wont get out any particles floating on the bottom of the pan.
also, if your car is older, and has a lot of miles, chances are your pan may be seeping some fluid. if you have a lot of miles, and your fluid was never changed, i'd get a new pan, and from then on just do semi-frequent fluid changes.
if you want to be cheap, amazon sells the pan/filter for 100 shipped.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

if you follow ZF instruction on refilling it, you don't really need to be so concern with exactly how much you drained out. Just empty the pan, the fill it up when cold, run the engine for whatever until it reaches the desired temperature, between 35-50 Celsius, and fill it up again until it start dripping/streaming from the fill plug. Of course it's always nice to have some sort of idea on how much it came out to compare. In my case, I had the minor leakage prior so it didn't matter much as long I put in more than what came out.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
New Members

Just did my 525Xi over the weekend and used the ctsc oil change kit for 6HP19/21 @ 238.03.

Just a few comments...

1) If you have a Xi/AWD you will need to remove the front drive shaft. The fill plug is directly behind the shaft. Make sure you get the drain plug free before you drop the pan. The easiest way to do this is to remove the 4 bolts closest to the front as you cant get the ones in the back without rotating the shaft. Once the 4 front bolts are removed you can rotate the shaft for easy access to the back 4 bolts.

2) Be VERY careful in torquing the pan bolts as then will strip, don't ask how I know

3) If you can drive the car up on ramps or something before hand and give the pan bolts a good dose of break-free a few day before you plan to do the DYI, the bolts will should be easier to remove. Some of the blots go through the tran case and if you bend the tube of the break-free you can actually get some in this spot.

4) It took about 5.5 bottles of the LifeGuard6 to fill it back up and that was about how much came out.

5) I actually bought the Sealing sleeve from ctsc but did not replace it as it was not leaking.

Now a question??? I have 105k miles on my 525Xi and this is the first trans oil/filter change. My pan and trans mechatronic had a coating of the fine dust you see on the pan magnets. I mean a VERY thin coating, but noticeable if you ran you finger over the mechatronic. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a sign that my trans is going soon? The trans seems to be running fine and seems to shift well.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

its wear and tear .its metal shavings. similar to metal in an oil pan on a engine..shavings from rings and bearing wear.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by tomb64
Now a question??? I have 105k miles on my 525Xi and this is the first trans oil/filter change. My pan and trans mechatronic had a coating of the fine dust you see on the pan magnets. I mean a VERY thin coating, but noticeable if you ran you finger over the mechatronic. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a sign that my trans is going soon? The trans seems to be running fine and seems to shift well.
thats normal. you'll see that in every used transmission.

how dark was your old fluid?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
thats normal. you'll see that in every used transmission.

how dark was your old fluid?
The fluid was very black, not even a hint of brown.

The reason I was concerned is because I did not see this when I changed my trans oil/filter last year on my 328i. Its a gm trans with 95k and the oil was still brownish. I guess its due to different trans different ware patterns.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
tsk
Members

My Ride: 2000 323i (Sport Wagon) 2007 530i

My main concern was simplicity and not having to worry about the dealer claiming I screwed up the transmission if anything went (it's still on CPO) as I tried to get the dealer to change the fluid before I bought the car and they refused citing warranty issues. Yeah, I'm partially being cheap but figured if I could get a good amount out, just draining the plug would be an easy way to get some benefit. I'm thinking I should just pony up the $$, get the full kit, and do it. I just hate dealing with auto transmissions.

Originally Posted by turboawd
my guess is that around 1 liter remains in the pan, so you probably drain 4.5 liters. the only bad thing though is that with the design of the pan, the drain is not in the lowest spot, and you wont get out any particles floating on the bottom of the pan.
also, if your car is older, and has a lot of miles, chances are your pan may be seeping some fluid. if you have a lot of miles, and your fluid was never changed, i'd get a new pan, and from then on just do semi-frequent fluid changes.
if you want to be cheap, amazon sells the pan/filter for 100 shipped.

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
if you follow ZF instruction on refilling it, you don't really need to be so concern with exactly how much you drained out. Just empty the pan, the fill it up when cold, run the engine for whatever until it reaches the desired temperature, between 35-50 Celsius, and fill it up again until it start dripping/streaming from the fill plug. Of course it's always nice to have some sort of idea on how much it came out to compare. In my case, I had the minor leakage prior so it didn't matter much as long I put in more than what came out.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tsk
My main concern was simplicity and not having to worry about the dealer claiming I screwed up the transmission if anything went (it's still on CPO) as I tried to get the dealer to change the fluid before I bought the car and they refused citing warranty issues. Yeah, I'm partially being cheap but figured if I could get a good amount out, just draining the plug would be an easy way to get some benefit. I'm thinking I should just pony up the $$, get the full kit, and do it. I just hate dealing with auto transmissions.
If it is still warranty then I guess your strategy of just draining the fluid and putting back in the same amount works. Any fresh fluid will help considering how dark they look, at least in my case, the color was much darker than the original fluid.

Just drain it when the engine is slightly warm, either measure how much drained out and put back the same amount or until it start dripping from the fill plug. I was able to put back slightly more than 2.5 liter it was cold.

GL
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

I have just had this done today and will update you on the improvements ..

If you in the uk you can get the oil in 1 litre bottles message me for more info
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Members

i can feel the difference .. very happy with results

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill