DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: shadowline with plasti-dip on E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

Originally Posted by nyceric03
Hey Andre, I applied the plastidip recently in the cold didnt seem to affect it.
S'up Bro!?
Good to know..
Yea this is a wicked Mod man, def. gonna get started on it next days off.
E60.TeamEgypyt's application is flawless...
Hopefully mines will come out that sick...
Stay tuned. . .
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

Going to do this tomorrow or saturday.......
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Members

Nice work. I like your wheels too :-)
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Great work and nice wheels
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Members

Looks good! I've used plasti-dip on my motorcycle's gas tank. It worked great it never peeled or chipped.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Contributors

For those that have done this, how is it holding up? I currently vinyl wrapped my exterior trim but I am thinking of dipping it this summer. They came out with a "glossifier" so wondering how it will look. Ordered some already cause I am going to test it on one of my interior trim pieces, which I vinyl wrapped a few weeks ago. Wanted to compare the look of gloss black vinyl and plasti-dip using glossifier.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

anyone tried cold drying duracoat or cerakote?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

hey roskinc I plan on doing the mod on saturday I already went to home depot and picked up all the items I need but Ive been doing research on how to properly do this mod and I noticed your method differs in a few ways. 2 that stand out the most to me is that the video suggest to tape around the windows by putting the painters tape half way up the black seal and to leave space between the body of car and window so to make it easier to pull up right at the edge. they said by doing it this way vs taping exactly at all the edges the paint can properly get into all the creases and crevasses. this is first thing I noticed you did different your results seem pretty nice from the pictures so now I'm kinda conflicted as to which way should I use. the second thing I noticed you did differently, in the other thread and video they painted a very little amount for the first coat also they allowed 10 - 15 minutes between coats for to dry. they say that its better to do that for a better looking finish product. I noticed you mentioned that after you finished applying all your coats you pulled off your tape while it was still wet and you didn't give your application that much time to dry either between coats. What do you guys think is better/easier to do?

here are some of my sources

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671155

Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Members

I believe they have a video on Dipyourcar.com that deals with trim. speedigunz they do it the way you mentioned. Something about a natural line between the trim and window that prevents the use of a razor. The plastidip just peels right off of the window. I am thinkng about doing this mod myself. Just to add to the black scheme
Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

How is the plasti dip holding up over time?

Quick Reply: DIY: shadowline with plasti-dip on E60