DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY rear diff./tranny fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

My service advisor made me laugh today, I asked him to change the oil in my rear diff. today, he said he would have to check with the service manager first to give me an accurate price, he comes back and tells me that the drain plug in the diff. is positioned in such a way so as to render it unserviceable which is why bmw uses lifetime oil, he further says (and this is the really ridiculous part) that if I really want to change the oil, they would have to REMOVE the axle assembly to access the drain!!! I looked at him like he was crazy! needless to say, I took my car home (in a complete state of shock), jacked the car up myself, looked underneath, and BANG! there the damn drain plug is staring me in my face! Now this particular s.a. is the guy I deal with every time I bring my car in for something, we know each other, so WHY would he risk loosing a good customer by telling me something so stupid? and he is not the first to try to discourage me from having this service performed (just the first to do it in such dramatic fashion). Anyway, I want this job done so I bought a suction tool, plug socket, and I already have ramps and a floor jack, all I need is the oil and a replacement plug and o ring, how much more (or less) difficult is this (and the manual tranny. oil change) compared to an engine oil change?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='584456' date='May 20 2008, 12:42 PM
My service advisor made me laugh today, I asked him to change the oil in my rear diff. today, he said he would have to check with the service manager first to give me an accurate price, he comes back and tells me that the drain plug in the diff. is positioned in such a way so as to render it unserviceable which is why bmw uses lifetime oil, he further says (and this is the really ridiculous part) that if I really want to change the oil, they would have to REMOVE the axle assembly to access the drain!!! I looked at him like he was crazy! needless to say, I took my car home (in a complete state of shock), jacked the car up myself, looked underneath, and BANG! there the damn drain plug is staring me in my face! Now this particular s.a. is the guy I deal with every time I bring my car in for something, we know each other, so WHY would he risk loosing a good customer by telling me something so stupid? and he is not the first to try to discourage me from having this service performed (just the first to do it in such dramatic fashion). Anyway, I want this job done so I bought a suction tool, plug socket, and I already have ramps and a floor jack, all I need is the oil and a replacement plug and o ring, how much more (or less) difficult is this (and the manual tranny. oil change) compared to an engine oil change?
This is an OPEN post! ANYBODY AT ALL with knowledge and/or experience, and is welcome and encouraged to respond! come on bimmerheads, help me out here.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 530i/6

If there is a drain plug and a fill/vent then there is nothing to stop you from going ahead. I have read that some diffs come with only one plug (as realoem would suggest) assuming thats the fill plug, you would have to remove the rear cover to drain. Your s.a. may have wanted to remove the entire diff to drain the oil rather than just removing the cover.

As a side note, a search of the forum shows capacity at 1.5qt.

Gareth
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I can tell you that I know some days ago they put the new oil in my diff and it was on, not unmounted .
Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='584625' date='May 20 2008, 04:36 PM
I can tell you that I know some days ago they put the new oil in my diff and it was on, not unmounted .
AlexFW, could you run that by me again, sorry.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='584690' date='May 21 2008, 12:07 AM
AlexFW, could you run that by me again, sorry.

To replace the oil in your diff you don't need to remove the differential: I see they while are putting the new oil and the diff was on the car .
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Even if there isn't a drain plug (not all of us have one), you can suction out the old oil through the fill hole.

Sounds like your SA just got some bad information. I wouldn't assume he meant to deceive you.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM
ukr
Members

My Ride: 530i n52
Model Year: 2006

Make sure the car is leveled when you fill it.

What socket size did you get?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='585155' date='May 21 2008, 09:52 AM
Even if there isn't a drain plug (not all of us have one), you can suction out the old oil through the fill hole.

Sounds like your SA just got some bad information. I wouldn't assume he meant to deceive you.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ukr' post='585204' date='May 21 2008, 11:10 AM
Make sure the car is leveled when you fill it.

What socket size did you get?
can't recall off the top of my head, but I purchased the plug sockets from Bavauto, they say those sizes will fit the drain plugs. I'll find out soon enough. Regarding the rear end, can I OVERFILL it accidentally?

Quick Reply: DIY rear diff./tranny fluid changes