DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY rear diff./tranny fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 AM
ukr
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i n52
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='585719' date='May 21 2008, 09:49 PM
can't recall off the top of my head, but I purchased the plug sockets from Bavauto, they say those sizes will fit the drain plugs. I'll find out soon enough. Regarding the rear end, can I OVERFILL it accidentally?
You can't overfill it if the car is leveled. The fluid would just start leaking out of the fill hole.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by ukr' post='586036' date='May 22 2008, 10:00 AM
You can't overfill it if the car is leveled. The fluid would just start leaking out of the fill hole.
makes sense, thanx. Do you or (anybody else) know how many pints of fluid are in there? parts dept. says I must bring a container, and they will put the fluid that I purchase in there, since they do not sell replacement fluid by the pint or quart.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 530i/6

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='586060' date='May 22 2008, 10:32 AM
makes sense, thanx. Do you or (anybody else) know how many pints of fluid are in there? parts dept. says I must bring a container, and they will put the fluid that I purchase in there, since they do not sell replacement fluid by the pint or quart.
1.5qt is what I recall. That seems weird that the parts dept isn't selling it by the quart.

Gareth
Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by a2e60' post='586477' date='May 22 2008, 06:44 PM
1.5qt is what I recall. That seems weird that the parts dept isn't selling it by the quart.

Gareth
I agree with you, it is weird. I tried the parts dept. from three different dealerships, here's what they told me: we purchase diff. fluid by the drum (55gal.) for use in our shop, so if I want to purchase it, I would have to bring my own container, and they would dispense it. Regarding the desire on the part of certain vehicle owners to be more aggressive with preventative maintenance, I fail to see where that desire would interfere with BMW's desire to make their cars look cheaper to own by convincing customers that they are practically "maintenance free"
If they want to sell people on this idea of "lifetime" this-and-that, they are welcome to do that, I am sure that they will find enough takers, but at the same time they should not be standing in the way of those of us you want to perform more aggressive maintenance on our cars. If I want to have an extra oil change or whatever done (AT MY EXPENSE!!!) then they should have NO problem obliging me!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='586894' date='May 23 2008, 09:26 AM
if I want to purchase it, I would have to bring my own container, and they would dispense it.

* snip*

they should not be standing in the way of those of us you want to perform more aggressive maintenance on our cars. If I want to have an extra oil change or whatever done (AT MY EXPENSE!!!) then they should have NO problem obliging me!
I agree that it would be nice if they sold it in 1 qt. containers like they do engine oil, but from their (BMW's) point of view, it isn't a 'user service item' so the production needed to package it wouldn't be worth it. I actually think it's pretty cool that the dealers are willing to dispense it if you bring in your own container; it would be a lot easier for them to just say no.

If they did sell it in 1 qt containers, how many do you really think they'd sell? I'd guess not many.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='586916' date='May 23 2008, 10:20 AM
I agree that it would be nice if they sold it in 1 qt. containers like they do engine oil, but from their (BMW's) point of view, it isn't a 'user service item' so the production needed to package it wouldn't be worth it. I actually think it's pretty cool that the dealers are willing to dispense it if you bring in your own container; it would be a lot easier for them to just say no.

If they did sell it in 1 qt containers, how many do you really think they'd sell? I'd guess not many.
That sounds great, but consider this: If they changed the fluid as I requested, then they wouldn't have to make it available to us in ANY form, that is the core issue after all.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='586995' date='May 23 2008, 12:52 PM
That sounds great, but consider this: If they changed the fluid as I requested, then they wouldn't have to make it available to us in ANY form, that is the core issue after all.
Ahhh. I took your "at my expense" comments as "at my expense where I do the work". Forgot the beginning about the dealer giving you an outrageous quote for the oil change.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='587038' date='May 23 2008, 02:31 PM
Ahhh. I took your "at my expense" comments as "at my expense where I do the work". Forgot the beginning about the dealer giving you an outrageous quote for the oil change.
Uhh, yes, right...sort of, the basis for my little beef is that bmw SEEMS to be instructing its dealers to discourage customers from pursuing more aggressive maintenance (even at the customers own expense) because when you factor in their 4yr/50k free maint. program (which offers the BARE minimum maintenance) it makes owning a bimmer look nearly cost free, the problem with that is if you intend to keep your car anywhere near the 100k mark, then in my opinion, doing minimum maint. is not going to cut it, THEREFORE, if a customer comes in and says "I'd like you to change the oil in my diff. or man. tranny. or power steering, or change my air filter (or any other routine maint. item) the s.a. should simply say: Here's your quote, when do you want it done?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='587075' date='May 23 2008, 03:59 PM
the s.a. should simply say: Here's your quote, when do you want it done?
Agree 100%
Old 05-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Castrol Oil have some recomendations for manual gearbox but not rear axle or auto, enclosed

Castrol Oils
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Castrol_Oil.pdf (47.4 KB, 120 views)

Quick Reply: DIY rear diff./tranny fluid changes